Fashion & Apparel

which peacoat do you think looks nicer or prefer ?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2017 11:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1215 posts
96 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Apr 8th, 2014 2:07 pm
I prefer the Kenneth Cole. The trim is a bit much but the cut and fit is right on.

I know everyone prefers the J Lindberg but it looks full blown Winter especially with those big lapels and bulky cut.
Blanche123 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2014 4:11 pm
Just to mix things up a bit - do you suit a double breasted coat/jacket etc.? I ask because neither I nor my husband do. I do remember wearing them though WAY back in the day - I guess around the time of the Beatles' invasion. Yep, we are "old -er" - hence why I am asking the question because fashion isn't entering into the equation for me. My husband has a couple of similar jackets that are single breasted and they just look better on him. Actually, I look best in styles from the 1930s - always have, so very difficult to find something that suits me. Hope you enjoy your jacket.
Irbe wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 12:14 pm
If u want something more classic, get the billy reid one.
Dailow wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 1:41 pm
I prefer peacoats that have slash pockets... absolutely hate the flap pockets but that's just personal preference.
Just a couple of examples... which are probably way more than you're willing to pay but you can find others that look similar fairly easily:

Real McCoy's Peacoat - inspired by the 1930s peacoat used by the US Navy.
Buzz Rickson's Peacoat - based on the 1910s peacoat.

As mentioned before though, why buy a reproduction when you can get the real thing for a lot cheaper from an army surplus store?
Also, if you intend on wearing a peacoat for spring, I'd just give up on the idea and look for a Bomber jacket instead.
I think im gonna go for a kennoth cole. Im stuck between XS and S. My chest size is 36". the XS has a chest of 36 and the small a 38. should I go up a size or how does that work? i clearly dont buy exact measurement size stuff very much lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6835 posts
729 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 3:44 pm
I think im gonna go for a kennoth cole. Im stuck between XS and S. My chest size is 36". the XS has a chest of 36 and the small a 38. should I go up a size or how does that work? i clearly dont buy exact measurement size stuff very much lol
Normally, there might be an inch or 2 over the corresponding chest size in inches for XS for example.

Since you are buying online is better it's bigger than smaller.

You may use it for a couple years to come and may grow a bit so futureproof by going a bit larger also.

Keep in mind you'll be wearing at least one layer underneath as well.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
4349 posts
523 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 3:52 pm
N

You may use it for a couple years to come and may grow a bit so futureproof by going a bit larger also.
Nice assumption there. Lol.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1215 posts
96 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Apr 8th, 2014 2:07 pm
I prefer the Kenneth Cole. The trim is a bit much but the cut and fit is right on.

I know everyone prefers the J Lindberg but it looks full blown Winter especially with those big lapels and bulky cut.
Blanche123 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2014 4:11 pm
Just to mix things up a bit - do you suit a double breasted coat/jacket etc.? I ask because neither I nor my husband do. I do remember wearing them though WAY back in the day - I guess around the time of the Beatles' invasion. Yep, we are "old -er" - hence why I am asking the question because fashion isn't entering into the equation for me. My husband has a couple of similar jackets that are single breasted and they just look better on him. Actually, I look best in styles from the 1930s - always have, so very difficult to find something that suits me. Hope you enjoy your jacket.
Irbe wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 12:14 pm
If u want something more classic, get the billy reid one.
gh05t wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 3:52 pm
Normally, there might be an inch or 2 over the corresponding chest size in inches for XS for example.

Since you are buying online is better it's bigger than smaller.

You may use it for a couple years to come and may grow a bit so futureproof by going a bit larger also.

Keep in mind you'll be wearing at least one layer underneath as well.
so when buying stuff in generly, size up an inche or two? in the case for a peacoat?
Newbie
Jul 13, 2012
67 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I think it depends on if you want to button it up or not and also the cutting
if It's slim fit and you would like to button it up then go for a size bigger
you might wanna wear layer inside, who knows :P
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1215 posts
96 upvotes
Dailow wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 1:41 pm
I prefer peacoats that have slash pockets... absolutely hate the flap pockets but that's just personal preference.
Just a couple of examples... which are probably way more than you're willing to pay but you can find others that look similar fairly easily:

Real McCoy's Peacoat - inspired by the 1930s peacoat used by the US Navy.
Buzz Rickson's Peacoat - based on the 1910s peacoat.

As mentioned before though, why buy a reproduction when you can get the real thing for a lot cheaper from an army surplus store?
Also, if you intend on wearing a peacoat for spring, I'd just give up on the idea and look for a Bomber jacket instead.
that second one is 900 dollars!! XD

well i want a consumer level peacoat, stylish, fitted and not to hot when wearing it.

anybody here know if its best to go 100$ wool? the kennoth cole is mostly wool with other fibres.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1215 posts
96 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 3:52 pm
Normally, there might be an inch or 2 over the corresponding chest size in inches for XS for example.

Since you are buying online is better it's bigger than smaller.

You may use it for a couple years to come and may grow a bit so futureproof by going a bit larger also.

Keep in mind you'll be wearing at least one layer underneath as well.
mebiuspower wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 3:55 pm
Nice assumption there. Lol.
rankiba wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 8:03 pm
I think it depends on if you want to button it up or not and also the cutting
if It's slim fit and you would like to button it up then go for a size bigger
you might wanna wear layer inside, who knows :P
It came in the mail today via stupid DHL

charged me 98 dolalrs customs

whats worse, the small is actually a bit big, i.e. kinda loose. not the fitted or even snug fit i was looking for.

so sad :(

my cnaada goose jacket is a small and that thing fits perfectly so i thought a small ina peacoat would be the same and i double checked the measurements.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2880 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Lesson to be learned, don't get anything shipped by DHL. Return it, try to sell it - doubt u will recoup your customs charges as winter is over or get it tailored.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
4349 posts
523 upvotes
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Apr 15th, 2014 12:47 am
It came in the mail today via stupid DHL

charged me 98 dolalrs customs

whats worse, the small is actually a bit big, i.e. kinda loose. not the fitted or even snug fit i was looking for.

so sad :(

my cnaada goose jacket is a small and that thing fits perfectly so i thought a small ina peacoat would be the same and i double checked the measurements.
[haha.jpg]

You should've went to army surplus and pickup a mint, authentic pea coat for $80.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
11078 posts
1531 upvotes
City of Vancouver
mebiuspower wrote:
Apr 15th, 2014 8:38 am

You should've went to army surplus and pickup a mint, authentic pea coat for $80.
Aren't army surplus coats heavy?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
4349 posts
523 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Apr 16th, 2014 4:31 pm
Aren't army surplus coats heavy?
What makes you say that?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1215 posts
96 upvotes
Irbe wrote:
Apr 15th, 2014 8:31 am
Lesson to be learned, don't get anything shipped by DHL. Return it, try to sell it - doubt u will recoup your customs charges as winter is over or get it tailored.
should i try and return it for an XS or would tailoring be the way to go?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2880 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
^ U have to factor in the cost, of tailoring, like what do you need to be done with it? Then add that to what you've paid to the duties and at the end of the day see if its "worth" it to you

If you return it, hopefully you can get your money back (vs a credit) and tha taxes and duties you paid (follow up with DHL, not sure how this works as I've never sent back anything). Only thing you will have to absorb is probably the shipping cost. But yeah like I said good lesson, don't get anything ship via DHL. DHL>FEDEX>Royal Mail
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
11078 posts
1531 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Becks wrote:
Apr 16th, 2014 4:31 pm
Aren't army surplus coats heavy?
mebiuspower wrote:
Apr 16th, 2014 5:20 pm
What makes you say that?
I assumed that army surplus wool coats are like their blankets: heavy and itchy.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
11078 posts
1531 upvotes
City of Vancouver
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Apr 17th, 2014 12:05 am
should i try and return it for an XS or would tailoring be the way to go?
Why don't u keep the coat and wear a sweater underneath it, rather than like the tank top you wear underneath your Canada Goose?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.

Top