• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2018 7:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
2619 posts
46 upvotes

Peak Saver Program

I just got a letter from Hydro One concerning this program. Has anyone here signed up for it? Any info? What's it about and is it worth it? I went to the website but the link didn't seem to be working. If I can conserve and save some $ then I'd be interested.
179 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3727 posts
1500 upvotes
Toronto
I am part of this program.

My system was installed on October 22, so I couldn't tell you anything about electricity savings yet...I will post an update when I get my next bill (which will probably be in December).

For what it's worth, my most recent bill came yesterday and covered the 60 day period from August 23 to October 23. I am kinda shocked at how high it was...they said I used 1041 kWh during that time period...by comparison, I only used 596 kWh during the exact same time frame last year. I am looking into this right now - the only thing that changed is that they installed a Smart Meter sometime during September of this year. I hope that they somehow didn't screw things up, as I find it hard to believe that my electricity usage went up almost 75% since last year.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1257 posts
87 upvotes
Please post a picture of the thermostat they give you. I just signed up and am wondering if it is an improvement to my old thermostat.
Mar 17, 2007
11 posts
We had the PeakSaver installed on our AC. It is just a switch that turns the power off to the AC compressor when the utility is experiencing a potential lack of power in the system. This prevents the utility from being forced to buy expensive power from out-of-province, or potential black-outs.

You would be hard pressed to measure a difference in your monthly power consumption. The switch only activates for 15 minutes evey hour, but only in one of these power shortages. As more people participate in this program, they won't need to build as many new power plants. So that could save everyone some money. In the short term though, the $25 they gave us was good.

Cheers
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
How do the smart meters work? Do you get charged more for usage in peak hours or less for usage in off peak hours? Any of the gov't sites just spew out ecofriendly marketing speak without any real info.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Mar 2, 2006
822 posts
26 upvotes
We received a letter too. In the list of requirements it didn't mention internet. Does this mean that they'll pay for it? :D
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1257 posts
87 upvotes
I believe the unit connects to the Cellular Phone data network... that is the only wireless internet connection in my area so I assume it is correct. Anyone know for sure?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
21197 posts
3550 upvotes
Waterloo
any link?
any info? how much it costs?

I am curious to know as well, not that I am a heavy user with little # of people in the household, but my original assumption was it's for companies rather individuals
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4377 posts
4253 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2007 9:39 pm
any link?
any info? how much it costs?

I am curious to know as well, not that I am a heavy user with little # of people in the household, but my original assumption was it's for companies rather individuals
It's free. Have a look at the post from the green deals section.
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14256 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto
"Your power company will then be able to cycle down your air conditioning or other applicable appliance temporarily at select times. It will help reduce the strain on the electricity system on summer days when electricity use is at its peak."

I'll control it myself, thanks.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
21197 posts
3550 upvotes
Waterloo
AndrewRFD wrote:
Nov 27th, 2007 11:57 am
It's free. Have a look at the post from the green deals section.
Thanks, as I suspected, no KW yet (no Waterloo North Hydro or Kitchener Wilmont Hydro on the list)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Aug 18, 2005
20 posts
Oshawa Hydro has a pretty good FAQ page:
http://www.opuc.on.ca/conservation/peak-saver-faqs/

As other posters have said, there probably won't be any significant $ savings on your bill because it is only meant to reduce the demand during peak period, i.e. VERY hot summer day. At other times when the system is not strained, it will not cycle down your AC.

Others have asked about Smart Meters. Smart Meters are completely separate from Peak Saver. Smart Meters are physical meters installed in your house that are capable of measuring how much electricity you use, when you use it. (Old meters only keep and accumulated measure) Smart Meters are installed because the Ontario Energy Board would like to implement a different pricing structure called the Time of Use system - basically you'll get charged more during on-peak periods to encourage shifting electrical demand to off-peak hours. More info is available from IESO: http://www.ieso.ca/imoweb/infoCentre/ic_index.asp

Cheers! :razz:
Dec 9, 2005
17 posts
Oshawa
I just got off the phone with the peaksaver toll free number for Oshawa...

after trying to find out more info on the specific model of the thermostat, this is all they could tell me.

No backlighting on the display
Not touchscreen
Not 7 day programable (it's 5 + 2)
Made by Honeywell

This is all she could give me. And she didn;t really sound like she knew much about the whole program at all.

She could not tell me the model number.
She could not confirm if I would have live access VIA the web to adjust temperatures for when I'm not home.

The lack of info is making me opt out.
My 7 day programable thermostat will work just fine, and I like to be able to control my own temperature.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4222 posts
833 upvotes
Ottawa
I looked into this too, the thermostat is made by Cannon Technologies (the one pictured in this link: http://www.cannontech.com/products/dr.asp ) and has the Honeywell name and body. A pager is inside that will allow you to change things remotely, as well as allow the utility to set back your temperature setpoint during peak summer times.

This is all I could find out about the thermostat. The HydroOne SmartStat office doesn't have a clue. My neighbour has one, and I got a quick look at it. Seems to be all soft button control (no slider switches for heat-off-cool and fan-auto) so I don't know if you can schedule fan operation, etc.

I just said forget it. I'd rather buy something that I know will do what I want, even if this is "free"