• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2018 7:34 pm
Mar 21, 2008
100 posts
55 upvotes
The peak saver thermostats do not use your Internet connection whatsoever, they are a one-way system that is triggered by a signal via the cellular network. The fact that they are not Wi-Fi-enabled is the biggest reason behind the fact they are one-way only – you can only send signals to the thermostat, not read any settings or readings from it.

So yes, you will have no trouble controlling her thermostat despite not having a home Internet connection anymore.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1033 posts
28 upvotes
oshawapilot wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2014 7:33 pm
The peak saver thermostats do not use your Internet connection whatsoever, they are a one-way system that is triggered by a signal via the cellular network. The fact that they are not Wi-Fi-enabled is the biggest reason behind the fact they are one-way only – you can only send signals to the thermostat, not read any settings or readings from it.

So yes, you will have no trouble controlling her thermostat despite not having a home Internet connection anymore.
That's what I thought.
Thank you for responding. Much appreciated.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1304 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
How long did your battery at the outside sensor last? I think mine lasted for like 2 years and then it died. When I opened it up, I realized that it was lithium AA. I found out later that it was because lithium does not lose its charge in extreme cold weather, but they are very expensive. Did anyone replace their outside sensor batteries yet?
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2938 posts
476 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I have changed the batteries outside but it doesn't stay sync'd (the little red flashy light stops). I spoke with support and they walked me thru the syncing process, which I've done a few times, but it doesn't want to work anymore. Reading this I realize I must have used the wrong batteries? Support didn't mention anything about special batteries. They asked if I'd changed batteries and I told them I used fresh Energizer Max..how much are the lithium and where do you get them?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1304 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
You should be able to find lithium AAs at Walmart, The Source or at Shoppers Drug Mart, but I didn't use lithium as they are expensive at about $4 each. I'm using eneloops but I know that when the weather turns cold, they will deplete soon. I'm waiting for a sale on lithiums to stock up.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2938 posts
476 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Thanks. I think I'll pass. Since you say your device is working (just warm weather for now) I think mine is broke.
I'd asked for a replacement but was told only 1 per household. She did go thru a load of troubleshooting and said she'd 'escalated me' so they'd get back to me. Perhaps that would have been for a more in depth troubleshooting?...I don't know because they never called back.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1304 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
For the syncing process, you have to reset both the sensor and the display. In this day and age, there are too many signals in the air that might interfere with the syncing process, so I normally reset the display unit first, then bring it outside to the sensor unit and then reset the senor unit for them to pair up.
Oct 14, 2005
504 posts
44 upvotes
Can someone help me understand this program? We don't use A/C very much. This past summer, we didn't have it on at all. Is this program for me? Does it turn my A/C on automatically and is there a way to disable that feature? My current thermo has Cold and Hot toggle button so I'm wondering if there is such thing on this and if it's even worth it for me.
Go Canucks Go!
www.webinfinite.com
The most I want to spend is the least I can.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2616 posts
760 upvotes
husdaman wrote:
Oct 28th, 2014 10:07 am
Can someone help me understand this program? We don't use A/C very much. This past summer, we didn't have it on at all. Is this program for me? Does it turn my A/C on automatically and is there a way to disable that feature? My current thermo has Cold and Hot toggle button so I'm wondering if there is such thing on this and if it's even worth it for me.
It's not for you

And it shouldn't be for anyone with common sense, on top of that.

It was a completely poorly thought out response to reduce peak summertime demand by trying to help A/C energy hogs convince themselves they are doing something good for the environment, the electrical grid, and the province in general.

It was instituted because sky high (think $500 plus) monthly electrical bills were not a sufficient reason for people to refrain from chilling their homes so that ones eyeglasses fog up when stepping inside in the summer to turn their A/C down.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2938 posts
476 upvotes
Aurora, ON
husdaman wrote:
Oct 28th, 2014 10:07 am
No, it doesn't turn your A/C on. All it will do IF the A/C is running is bump it up a few degrees and set the fan to circulate - you wouldn't notice it and it's only for a short time. I rarely use the A/C and only noticed the peaksaver kicked in twice over the past few years. I got a nice thermostat out of the deal and one of those energy monitors. I figure it's worth it and if it's still available for you..why not? Unless of course you already have a nice thermostat...
Dec 19, 2007
360 posts
6 upvotes
m2m wrote:
Oct 17th, 2010 7:39 pm
Hopefully people who have had a Peaksaver thermostat can help me out to see if I am being fleeced? :(

My furnace stopped working this weekend and the repair person said the peaksaver thermostat was giving too much voltage and fried the gas valve and replaced both the thermostat and gas valve to tune of $400!

Anyone have to replace their gas valve or experience this problem and know if this is a known problem?

Thanks!

Moved into an old house that the previous fool had a peaksaver thermostat installed and it has started short-cycling with no way to stop it or adjust the swing. All you can do is run it at a higher temperature and then turn it down or turn it way down.

Installed the peaksaver thermostat in 2008, looking at the furnace service sticker, gas valve had to be replaced a year later in 2009. These specialized thermostats that have all the typical features of a normal thermostat locked out are death to your equipment.
Banned
Jul 5, 2014
460 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone recently installed peak saver?

Willing share the new device?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
8589 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
The website that control the temperature is not working for a while.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Banned
Jul 5, 2014
460 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The new display comes with colour display monitor
Banned
Jan 29, 2013
104 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
is there a difference between this peak saver program and just programming the thermostat to use less during the peak hours?