• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2015 3:54 pm
Oct 23, 2007
238 posts
6 upvotes
Clarington
I had the peaksaver thermostat installed last November. Just had it uninstalled 2 weeks ago. I was really keen on the web control and programming. The problem was the web control only worked twice out of the many times I tried it.

Called customer service, the call centre in in Georgia or something. The CSR's I spoke to were all rude and not well educated in technical support. I finally threw in the towel and told them to uninstall it when the CSR told me she could control my computer if she logged into my profile online. I laughed and went along with it.

She logs in and is asking me if I can see the buttons she's clicking on the website. It was pretty funny.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14339 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
I found the notion of giving control of your thermostat to someone else quite unappealing, myself. Not to mention the issues inherent with linking it to the internet. I imagine it'd be quite amusing, though, to hack someone elses thermostat.
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3556 posts
488 upvotes
Ottawa
The SmartStat is not connected to the internet. Either you or your power company control the thermostat by going to a web portal, and then commands are sent to it via pager.
Oct 23, 2007
238 posts
6 upvotes
Clarington
MacGyver wrote:
Mar 8th, 2008 6:42 am
The SmartStat is not connected to the internet. Either you or your power company control the thermostat by going to a web portal, and then commands are sent to it via pager.
You're right, but if someone figured out your account number and password (my company set my default pw as my last name!), you could mess around with the temperature settings in someone's house pretty easy.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2801 posts
49 upvotes
Kanata
We are suppose to be getting this installed in April, I wonder if it's even worth it, doesn't sound like it works to well. They already screwed up the first appointment by coming 2 hours earlier they the confirmed time so no one was home.
Mar 21, 2008
4 posts
Hi there,
I work at Honeywell and I am involved in the process of setting up the peak savers..
First .. I have one installed in my house because I believe in it.
Now just to clear some doubts.. the TSTAT is a Honey well TSTAT . You wouldnt be able to find this model in the market because its a specially designed unit for this program. Runs on a wireless technology.. the same way as a pager.. the same frequency.. In other words its like a pager..
You cannot view the TSTAT online you can just make changes to it. Try it once when your home that way you know it would work when your away ...
The reason for this is, its going to be expensive to have a technology that can communicate both ways, Plus the utility does not want private info as to what temp you set your TSTAT to?
As I have been reading through the conversation I see people belive your TSTAT is being controlled and another question about saving ?
Well first we all need to do our part to save. Have you thought about what we going to be giving to our kids when we leave?
The peak saver is a summer program which runs just for the A.C. So in the summer during days of high energy demand, your utility is going to increase youe TSTAT temp by 1 or 2 degree celcius. SO if you have it set to 20 itw ould go up to 21 or 22. Just for a mere of 4 hours.
If your house is well insulated it would take 1 hr to drop the temp by 1 degree. If you have a fan running it would compensate for the 1 - 2 degree change.
The program is just run in during weekdays usually between 12 noon-6pm.
not on weekened or holidays..
So for people who are working its not even an issue. The other things is , they do not run it everyday. May be 3-4 times for the whole summer.
You should ask people who have the peak saver installed, have they every felt it very hot when they run the program? The answer would be, no we did not even notice.
I have small kids in the house and my elderly mom and we never had an issue from 2 summers.
Some utilities are installing switches and some are installing TSTAT. They are talking about changing the model , with a better model. With a back light and some more features. The problem is, its a govt funded project and the money is tight. Thats the reason for using this TSTAT.
I am involved with the canada project, there is one in the U.S too..
For further info go to www.peaksaver.com or go to your utility website and they can assist you.
Have a nice day
Feb 24, 2007
44 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
Called Powerstream today and the person does not want to explain anything on the phone but just repeatedly ask if I want to join the program. Not helpful at all
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3556 posts
488 upvotes
Ottawa
a109664 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2008 12:19 pm
Hi there,
I work at Honeywell and I am involved in the process of setting up the peak savers..
Thanks for the info. We have no qualms about how the peaksaver aspect works. What we need is a PDF instruction manual for this thing, so we can see what ELSE it's capable of because that's what consumers care about. Peaksaver is fine and dandy, but otherwise is this thermostat better than the 5+2 programmable model I have now? If not, why would I have it installed in my home?

Unless the instructions are a classified document - because nobody from any of the utilities wants to explain anything in detail.
Mar 21, 2008
4 posts
MacGyver wrote:
Mar 25th, 2008 4:34 am
Thanks for the info. We have no qualms about how the peaksaver aspect works. What we need is a PDF instruction manual for this thing, so we can see what ELSE it's capable of because that's what consumers care about. Peaksaver is fine and dandy, but otherwise is this thermostat better than the 5+2 programmable model I have now? If not, why would I have it installed in my home?

Unless the instructions are a classified document - because nobody from any of the utilities wants to explain anything in detail.
here is the link to the manual
http://www.instruccionesweb.com/u2/pdf/ ... 12A-en.pdf
Mar 21, 2008
4 posts
BillyLo wrote:
Mar 25th, 2008 12:20 am
Called Powerstream today and the person does not want to explain anything on the phone but just repeatedly ask if I want to join the program. Not helpful at all
Take the name of the rep and talk to the supervisor? This is a great program to get into.
I have a detailed version of the program in this forum. If you need specifics just ask
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4323 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
I also removed the Peaksaver device.. what a waste of taxpayers money. It's a totally useless device... Toronto Hydro doesn't even offer a choice of thermostat. It's just a big brick sized box that they attach to your outside wall.. that attaches to your air conditioner.

they should expose this HydroPeaksaver scam along with eHealth Ontario since I'm sure this is costing us billions of tax payer dollars
Mar 8, 2007
191 posts
10 upvotes
Oakville
a109664 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2008 12:19 pm
...your utility is going to increase your TSTAT temp by 1 or 2 degree celcius. SO if you have it set to 20 itw ould go up to 21 or 22. Just for a mere of 4 hours....
Does anyone know if the the temperature increase is relative to each homes average home temperature? I keep my AC at 25, I find that another degree or two higher makes a big difference. If most people keep their temp at 21-22 then it sounds like I am already doing my part to save the planet. Do the 3 pc's I run 24/7 count?...don't answer.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1903 posts
Toronto
I recently called Toronto Hydro to remove the peaksaver device, but they've just sent me the gift card code. Am I still allow to redeem the gift card or will we slap a fee or penalty on my next bill?
May 17, 2007
369 posts
4 upvotes
Can some one post the pictures of this thermostat? What info this thermostat display shows? I am under Waterloo North Hydro.
× < >