• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2018 7:34 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2875 posts
450 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I have noticed my peaksaver plus monitor has been displaying 'SLEEP' on the display for a while now. Since it's A/C weather I want to get it going again so gave peaksaver a call to ask what was wrong. He pointed out that there are batteries on the unit outside that needed changing. Use a flat blade screwdriver and replace the 2 AA's ...note the orientation when you remove the old batteries... +/- is noted on the circuit board but I only found that out when I realized I didn't know how to put the new batteries back in :)
May 31, 2013
1 posts
Just had my peak saver installed last year, went to turn on my ac but thing. The fan on the furnace work but is getting nothing from the ac. I called the number and the person said that a tech will call me back. He did call and said that I need to have a ac tech come out to look at my ac. Im convince that the wiring is not done properly. I called back again a second time and was told that im not allow to speak with another tech base on he notes that the first tech leave on my acct. Any suggestions. It's really hot in ottawa right now and I need my ac.
Mar 21, 2008
98 posts
55 upvotes
Anyone surprised to see the system activated today in Toronto? I keep hearing about this surplus of electricity in Ontario, and here we are a few days into the first (and honestly, not that brutal) heat wave of the year and we're into reductions already?

I like the idea behind the thermostat, I like the hardware, I'm not knocking the program....just questioning why the switch was thrown on it today when the underlying reasonings don't seem to make sense right now.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1009 posts
26 upvotes
oshawapilot wrote:
Jun 24th, 2013 5:41 pm
Anyone surprised to see the system activated today in Toronto? I keep hearing about this surplus of electricity in Ontario, and here we are a few days into the first (and honestly, not that brutal) heat wave of the year and we're into reductions already?

I like the idea behind the thermostat, I like the hardware, I'm not knocking the program....just questioning why the switch was thrown on it today when the underlying reasonings don't seem to make sense right now.
I noticed that also.

Another thing that caught me by surprise was the fact that my air con was off.
We were in the basement so there was no need to have the air con on, thus saving energy,
Then all of a sudden, the fan circulates on and off for a few times.
There was no way I could turn the fan off??????

Is this the way it's suppose to work?
Mar 21, 2008
98 posts
55 upvotes
fogo wrote:
Jun 24th, 2013 5:56 pm
I noticed that also.

Another thing that caught me by surprise was the fact that my air con was off.
We were in the basement so there was no need to have the air con on, thus saving energy,
Then all of a sudden, the fan circulates on and off for a few times.
There was no way I could turn the fan off??????

Is this the way it's suppose to work?
Yes, that's exactly how it's supposed to work - when the AC is cycled off the fan cycles on/off on circulation mode to distribute the air in the house despite the AC compressor having been cycled off.

Our house is still comfortable...on the upper edge of comfortable, but it's fine - I was just surprised to see it having been activated when I got home. Logging into the command console shows that they activated the system at 2:00PM and it's still active.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1009 posts
26 upvotes
oshawapilot wrote:
Jun 24th, 2013 6:03 pm
Yes, that's exactly how it's supposed to work - when the AC is cycled off the fan cycles on/off on circulation mode to distribute the air in the house despite the AC compressor having been cycled off.

Our house is still comfortable...on the upper edge of comfortable, but it's fine - I was just surprised to see it having been activated when I got home. Logging into the command console shows that they activated the system at 2:00PM and it's still active.
But my air con was off?? I wasn't using any energy at all until the fan kicked in.
Mar 21, 2008
98 posts
55 upvotes
This doesn't make sense.... From the IESO website:

[QUOTE]TODAY'S MARKET
What do these numbers mean? At 5:00 PM EST
June 24, 2013
Current 5-Minute Market Demand: 24,715 MW
Hourly Market Demand: 24,885 MW
Hourly Generator Availability: 31,950 MW
Current Hourly Price (HOEP): $34.92/MWh (3.49¢/kWh)
Average Weighted Price (June): $23.00/MWh (2.30¢/kWh)
Average Weighted Price YTD: $28.22/MWh (2.82¢/kWh)
Hourly Uplift Charge Estimate: $4.00/MWh (0.40¢/kWh)
Intertie Offer Guarantee Estimate: $0.01/MWh
Hourly Imports: 1,473 MW | Hourly Exports: 2,309 MW[/QUOTE]

Current use (basically, todays peak) is about 26,000 megawatts, but with an availability of almost 32000 megawatts...one might ask why peaksaver was triggered...
Mar 21, 2008
98 posts
55 upvotes
fogo wrote:
Jun 24th, 2013 6:05 pm
But my air con was off?? I wasn't using any energy at all until the fan kicked in.
Yes...the fan and the AC are two different things. The furnace fan uses but a fraction of the electricity of the AC compressor. Furnace fan = air circulation, AC compressor = cold air.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2875 posts
450 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I had set the temp to 78 this morning and set the fan to CIRC. When I looked later on I saw the word "SAVINGS" on the display and the fan set to "ON" but the fan was not on and the temp still showed 78, where I'd set it. I didnt really notice any temp difference and a few minutes later the A/C kicked in. I'm not sure what is supposed to happen when it 'takes over' but it didn't last long...
Anyone have a link to exactly what it's supposed to do...I'm still wondering why my fan went from my CIRC to ON an wasn't running...maybe I should call them...?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2969 posts
278 upvotes
Hamilton
oshawapilot wrote:
Jun 24th, 2013 6:03 pm
Logging into the command console shows that they activated the system at 2:00PM and it's still active.
how do you do that exactly?
Mar 21, 2008
98 posts
55 upvotes
When Peaksaver is activated the system cycles the AC on/off (Every 15 mins, IIRC) when it's called upon, and IF the system is still commanding a temp drop (temp in your house is above the thermostat setpoint) while the system is in an off-cycle the thermostat will set the fan to the circulate mode in an effort to help the house maintain it's temp as best as possible even though the AC is being overridden to off.

There seems to be some delays between what's showing on the display and what the system is actually doing when it's in Peaksaver override. Today was the first time I ever saw the system activated so I was watching closely. It lasted for exactly 4 hours at our place, 2PM to 6PM on the dot.
Mar 21, 2008
98 posts
55 upvotes
adblink182 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2013 9:03 pm
how do you do that exactly?
https://www.controlyourthermostat.ca.

This is the main reason I joined peaksaver - the ability to control the thermostat remotely. We travel a lot and when we're away for extended periods I set back the thermostat pretty agressively to save $$, but it's really nice being able to send a command to the thermostat to reset the house temp (up or down) via my iPhone a few hours before we come home.

Actually joining the peaksaver program was 30% interest in "doing my part", and a 70% interest in getting a nice high end touch screen $300 thermostat with internet remote control for free. ;)
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1186 upvotes
Sauga
Peaksaver "Savings" are definitely kicking in today. The thermostat is programmed to be at 76, and it's currently 79 in the house. It's barely noticeable, though...
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2875 posts
450 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I checked on and off to day and didn't notice the 'savings' ..I figured fer sure it would have kicked in..maybe tomorrow.
I'm set at 78 and have the fan on 'circ'...house is quite comfortable. We're older two story (poorly built) and I find shutting all vents on main floor helps to keep the upstairs same temp as main floor.
Mar 21, 2008
98 posts
55 upvotes
It doesn't kick in universally across the province - some areas may be activated, while others aren't. We were not activated today.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)