• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2018 4:19 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1842 posts
145 upvotes
Bolton
Pissed with Peaksaver support. Could not sleep list night and noticed AC was on for a long period of time. Went downstairs and sure, house temperature is 21˚C and thermostat is set for 22.5˚C. Increased temperature to 24˚C and AC still running. So removed thermostat from the housing, removed battery placed all back in and looked fine. Called Peaksaver this morning, told them what happened and first thing they told me that my Fan should be set to "AUTO" and not anything else. I could tell this guy had no clue. So after a bit of a discussion, I was promised a call from their tech in the next 24 hrs. Will see what happens.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2819 posts
440 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Interesting..I'm interested in what they tell you. I leave my fan set to 'circ' and I noticed when 'savings' kicks in the fan switches to ON.
So, from what they're telling you we shouldn't be using the 'circ' setting at all?

edited to ad:
I called them to get a bit more info (I'm with powerstream) and I was told that leaving the fan on 'circ' is fine. When peaksaver kicks in it will turn fan to ON so that you don't notice house temp rising. The fan will run for 18 minutes without cooling, then 12 minutes with cooling.
Mar 21, 2008
62 posts
6 upvotes
Whatever Settings you decide to use outside of peaksaver taking control your own business. I have my programmed to activate the circulates setting for the 5 AM to 8 AM time period Simply because we have one room in the house that gets quite hot with the a.m. Sun – the circulate feature has proven quite effective at moderating this one rooms temperature without the need to actually run the AC.

It sounds like what happened a few posts up was that the thermostat failed to return to normal operation after the peak saver event from yesterday ended – ours was activated again yesterday and it did get somewhat warm in the house towards the evening, However our central AC unit is barely adequate to begin with so that wasn't surprising – the peak saver activation ended at 6 PM and we had no problem being comfortable again by bedtime.

I'm still curious why the system is being activated so often when the system operator data shows that we still have Capacity significantly above current demand.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1842 posts
145 upvotes
Bolton
jackie999 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2013 10:30 am
Interesting..I'm interested in what they tell you. I leave my fan set to 'circ' and I noticed when 'savings' kicks in the fan switches to ON.
So, from what they're telling you we shouldn't be using the 'circ' setting at all?
Basically thats what my understanding is, which does not make any sense. I can have system in " OFF" position and still control what fan does.
I've also noticed that when in "auto" mode, when I lower the temperature, i can see " waiting" under set temperature and it takes a while for cooling to kick in. Same with heat.
Now either thermostat is gone or control board on my furnace is about to go. Will let them change thermostat ( or if they don't show up will do it myself) and see what happens.

Whats that Miniature Schnauzer in your avatar??
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1842 posts
145 upvotes
Bolton
campbellhill2007 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2013 2:03 am
Just had my peak saver installed last year, went to turn on my ac but thing. The fan on the furnace work but is getting nothing from the ac. I called the number and the person said that a tech will call me back. He did call and said that I need to have a ac tech come out to look at my ac. Im convince that the wiring is not done properly. I called back again a second time and was told that im not allow to speak with another tech base on he notes that the first tech leave on my acct. Any suggestions. It's really hot in ottawa right now and I need my ac.
What happened? Did you get it resolved?
I'm having issues a swell and waiting for a tech to call..
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2819 posts
440 upvotes
Aurora, ON
ancnfamily wrote:
Jul 17th, 2013 10:43 am
Basically thats what my understanding is, which does not make any sense. I can have system in " OFF" position and still control what fan does.
I've also noticed that when in "auto" mode, when I lower the temperature, i can see " waiting" under set temperature and it takes a while for cooling to kick in. Same with heat.
Now either thermostat is gone or control board on my furnace is about to go. Will let them change thermostat ( or if they don't show up will do it myself) and see what happens.

Whats that Miniature Schnauzer in your avatar??
I edited my post to reflect what they told me..but your situation does sound odd. Lousy time of year to have an A/C problem!! When the peaksaver program is working properly I think it works well..and I really don't notice any difference in 'comfort' ...
Yep..that is a mini schnauzer in my avatar when she was a puppy.
Mar 21, 2008
62 posts
6 upvotes
If you have the latest and most advanced version of the peak saver thermostat (the touchscreen one) Don't be surprised about the delays in between functions – this is a pretty advanced thermostat which can be programmed to add these sorts of delays automatically for the AC system in order to protect your compressor.

The system is just doing what it's designed to do – protect your compressor – cycling the compressor on to quickly after it may have just kicked off is extremely hard on your air conditioning system, and can damage or lead to premature failure of your compressor. Let it do it's thing. ;)
Mar 21, 2008
62 posts
6 upvotes
Doesn't include the thermostat? Huh? Toronto is one of the biggest areas for PeakSaver. You sure the install isn't just scheduled separately from the power meter?
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14341 posts
1989 upvotes
Toronto
oshawapilot wrote:
Jul 29th, 2013 2:43 pm
Doesn't include the thermostat? Huh? Toronto is one of the biggest areas for PeakSaver. You sure the install isn't just scheduled separately from the power meter?
I have no idea. I see nothing about the thermostat on their website though. Is there a number I could call to inquire about this?

Edit: I saw this other post and unfortunately I guess I'm right.
dazz wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 12:43 am
It's a good program but ONLY for hydro one customers. I am with Toronto Hydro and they don't give free thermostats :(
Source: http://f.redflagdeals.com/showthread.ph ... er+toronto
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2819 posts
440 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I have both the thermostat and the display meter....the thermostat is the only reason I signed up. Without that I wouldn't recommend even joining. It seems, in Toronto, they install a switch outside to control the A/C..
May 27, 2007
170 posts
16 upvotes
Vaughan
I am thinking of signing up for this program but the reviews are a bit mixed on this forum.. hmmm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
8421 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
jackie999 wrote:
May 31st, 2013 5:46 pm
I have noticed my peaksaver plus monitor has been displaying 'SLEEP' on the display for a while now. Since it's A/C weather I want to get it going again so gave peaksaver a call to ask what was wrong. He pointed out that there are batteries on the unit outside that needed changing. Use a flat blade screwdriver and replace the 2 AA's ...note the orientation when you remove the old batteries... +/- is noted on the circuit board but I only found that out when I realized I didn't know how to put the new batteries back in :)
I just have it installed yesterday and noticed the monitor has been displaying "SLEEP" quite frequently. I need to do SYNC between the monitor and sensor every time when $0.00 shows too. Not sure why ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Aug 12, 2012
513 posts
69 upvotes
Richmond Hill
oshawapilot wrote:
Jun 24th, 2013 9:07 pm
https://www.controlyourthermostat.ca.

This is the main reason I joined peaksaver - the ability to control the thermostat remotely. We travel a lot and when we're away for extended periods I set back the thermostat pretty agressively to save $$, but it's really nice being able to send a command to the thermostat to reset the house temp (up or down) via my iPhone a few hours before we come home.

Actually joining the peaksaver program was 30% interest in "doing my part", and a 70% interest in getting a nice high end touch screen $300 thermostat with internet remote control for free. ;)
I'm guessing you're with PUC if you're in Oshawa? On their website, they only mention a free energy display, no free thermostat. Was that the case when you signed up?

When you sign up for this program, is there a contract involved? If you don't like the service/program after it's installed, how easy is it to cancel? Sorry if this question has already been asked.
Mar 8, 2011
1 posts
Our Peaksaver worked fine all last year, with no 'OPA events' that we noticed. For the past couple of months, the AC schedule has jumped out of sequence several times. We have the temp set at 26 C during the day and call for 23.5 overnight (that works in our well-insulated townhouse). The overnight setting is at 11 pm. It has jumped to 23.5 at 10:40, 10:45 and 10:50 (not in that order) all on workdays evenings. No idea why and our local utility referred me to OPA who dispatched a technician. He swapped the thermo out and the new one is doing the same thing, perhaps less often. Go figure. Only explanation I come up with is the utility is sending a spurious command. Any other suggestions?