None
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA

Pedestrian Blaming

TTC's new safety campaign elicits cries of 'pedestrian blaming' from critics

The "stay focused, stay safe" ads warn pedestrians about jay-walking despite Toronto Public Health having found more than two thirds of pedestrian-vehicle collisions occur at intersections.

[IMG]http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/the ... .promo.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE]By: Luke Simcoe Metro., Published on Wed Sep 02 2015

The TTC is being accused of victim blaming after unveiling a safety campaign aimed at pedestrians and cyclists.

The “stay focused, stay safe” ads can be spotted on TTC property and carry warnings about jay-walking, wearing dark clothing at night, or using your phone while crossing the road.

Only one of the ads appears to target drivers, reminding them to yield to buses.

“It’s absolutely pedestrian blaming,” said Walk Toronto founder Dylan Reid. “They’re picking on things that are almost never factors in pedestrian deaths and singling them out.”

A June report from Toronto Public Health found more than two-thirds of pedestrian-vehicle collisions occur at intersections, compared to only 22 per cent mid-block. And according to the study, only 13 per cent of pedestrians were distracted at the time of collision.

Furthermore, the report claims the majority – 67 per cent – of pedestrian-vehicle collisions can be attributed to driver error.

“If you look at all the statistics, the number one problem is driver action,” said lawyer and pedestrian advocate Patrick Brown. “So, to turn around and point the finger at somebody’s choice of clothing suggests you don’t understand what’s really going on out there.”

TTC spokesman Brad Ross denied that the TTC is singling out or blaming pedestrians.

“The target audience for this campaign is pedestrians, but that in no way should imply that motorists don’t have a responsibility. Indeed they do: driving safely at all times comes with the privilege of having a valid drivers’ licence,” he wrote in an email.

Ross said the TTC is also using a version of the ads to educate their drivers and operators about safety.

The same health report analyzed collisions between pedestrians and transit vehicles, and found only 15 per cent of those hit by buses or streetcars were crossing without the right of way.

As someone who has represented pedestrians hit by TTC vehicles, Brown said the tone of the ads felt very familiar.

“They fight diligently in court to prove it was the pedestrian or cyclist’s fault,” he said. “The first thing they want to know is what colour of clothes were you wearing… but in most cases it’s not warranted.”

Reid also criticized the TTC for failing to ensure pedestrians can safely access their stops and stations.

“The TTC is notorious for not caring at all how pedestrians get to their stops,” he said. “They haven’t intervened in things like getting the city to put in more crosswalks near TTC stops.

“I’d like to see that before they start lecturing pedestrians about how to walk.”[/QUOTE]

67 per cent of pedestrian-vehicle collisions can be attributed to driver error :-0
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
964 upvotes
Govt should pass a law that says motorists have to stay within 1-meter of pedestrians.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
Funny coming from TTC, as a pedestrian and a driver, I can say that they are some of the worst on the road. I've been almost hit multiple times for a bus not paying attention taking a right hand turn, running a red, etc.

A few weeks ago, driving south on Morningside, there was a bus in the far right lane driving with its four ways on, when momentarily it started turning into the side of my car. She gives me a dirty look, honks horn, luckily there was nothing to the left of me. Her window was open so i opened mine, yelled your 4 ways were on. Just says "oh" turns them off and speeds away.

At many intersections with streetcars downtown/on the danforth, I see them run red lights regularly. Also push there way out of stations, disregarding the fact pedestrians have right of way.

For me
TTC is worst,, taxi's are second.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
JohnB wrote: Govt should pass a law that says motorists have to stay within 1-meter of pedestrians.
Within or away from? I got better things to do than follow people around 1-meter away from them. :razz:
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
CanadaMaple wrote: Funny coming from TTC, as a pedestrian and a driver, I can say that they are some of the worst on the road. I've been almost hit multiple times for a bus not paying attention taking a right hand turn, running a red, etc.

A few weeks ago, driving south on Morningside, there was a bus in the far right lane driving with its four ways on, when momentarily it started turning into the side of my car. She gives me a dirty look, honks horn, luckily there was nothing to the left of me. Her window was open so i opened mine, yelled your 4 ways were on. Just says "oh" turns them off and speeds away.

At many intersections with streetcars downtown/on the danforth, I see them run red lights regularly. Also push there way out of stations, disregarding the fact pedestrians have right of way.

For me
TTC is worst,, taxi's are second.
Well, I guess this proves your point...

[IMG]http://i.cbc.ca/1.2884608.1419696734!/f ... lision.JPG[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
964 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: Within or away from? I got better things to do than follow people around 1-meter away from them. :razz:
OMG, my sarcastic reply didnt work, haha, I meant 1m distance.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
---------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
AudiDude wrote: Well, I guess this proves your point...

[IMG]http://i.cbc.ca/1.2884608.1419696734!/f ... lision.JPG[/IMG]
Funny enough, I actually witnessed this first hand.

Bus was turning as light had just turned yellow-red, to be fair it had already pulled out into intersection. Streetcar went through intersection after it turned red. dinging its bell. Had more than enough time to stop at lights.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
CoolDudeClan wrote: I think they have a point.

Despite who's fault it is the results are tragic. For this reason pedestrians should be aware because a lot of accidents can be avoided, even though the driver is at fault. For the sake of their safety it is a good idea to be aware before crossing street you ASSUME is safe

I do believe there is a point here. I just believe they are going about it the wrong way. Too many zombies zoned into their cell phones not paying attention.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I work downtown Ottawa and now drive to work. I did take OC Transpo for a year before I grew tired of it. I do find, both as a driver and pedestrian myself that there are many people who are walking around completely oblivious to their surroundings. Looking down texting and/or with sound cancelling headphones on as they cross streets without looking both ways. Almost saw a young woman get taken out by a fire truck with sirens on because of this.

I recall a story from Vancouver of a pedestrian being killed by a helicopter that crashed. It was initially thought that the pedestrian was distracted and was not aware that there was a helicopter above him that may have been in trouble.

Call it victim blaming if you will, the reality is that we all play a role in being safe and seeing tomorrow. It is up to me as a driver to ensure I am looking out for other vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists. It is up to you as a pedestrian to follow street signage, walk in a predictable manner, and to be on the lookout for cyclists and vehicles for your own safety. It is up to you as a cyclist to obey traffic laws, ride in a predictable manner, watch for pedestrians and vehicles for the safety of yourself and others.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1219 upvotes
aGincourt
Updating your twitter is more important than being able to walk / being alive
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
JohnB wrote: Govt should pass a law that says motorists have to stay within 1-meter of pedestrians.
It's kind of funny.. If we did not have this vast network of sidewalks and crosswalks and stuff, you'd get people raging on here all the time with the same kind of complains that you hear for bicyclists.

There's plenty of idiots out there. Some are on foot, some are on 2 or 4 wheels.
- casual gastronomist -
May 30, 2012
17 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
What about the hoards of people that will walk on a red at a crosswalk anyway? Just because the incident is an intersection doesn't mean signals are obeyed. See this all the time downtown as a driver. Not to say drivers also don't behave like jerks (especially cabbies and buses).
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1175 posts
450 upvotes
Dartmouth
So 2/3rds off accidents happen at intersections? SO what?

How many of those accidents at intersections are due to people crossing against the light or running into the corsswalk to see if a car is already in the middle?
What about the other 1/3 of accidents that don't happen in crosswalks..that miust be quite a few people. If ou save some of those people isn't it a GOOD thing?

I walk A LOT. I have had more than my fair share of close calls in crosswalks where its the drivers fault. Lots of tesxting drivers that I see coming right at me after it appears they have stopped for me. We had one almost wipe out my whole family in PEI this summer. Perfectly clear night. We all had bright clothes. Well lighted crosswalk. Crossing signal was green for us and we were in the smack middle of the crosswalk (no countdown light on etc). Car barreled right thought not even a glance.

But despite all that I see no victim blaming here. I also see many examples when I drive of people not walking 20 metere down the dtreet to the crosswalk. just jump out in the middle of traffic. We had this lady last week in Dartmouth. Crosswalk hand was clearly RED. She took one step out into the crosswalk while I waited for advanced green and then stepped back becuase the crossing light was RED. My advanced green comes I start to turn left and she starts RUNNING across the crosswalk trying to beat me across!. My wife is flipping out saying let her go she's in the crosswalk ..meanwhile I've got someone behind me turning left also. If I slammed on the brakes to let her go we have a 2 car accident and maybe I get pushed into the pedestrian.

So Walk Toronto needs to get off their high horse and be more concerned about saving lives..any lives than about who appears to be blaming who.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
Pedestrians can claim their right of way in a wheelchair after they get smashed up.
ShadowVlican
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote: TTC's new safety campaign elicits cries of 'pedestrian blaming' from critics

The "stay focused, stay safe" ads warn pedestrians about jay-walking despite Toronto Public Health having found more than two thirds of pedestrian-vehicle collisions occur at intersections.

[IMG]http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/the ... .promo.jpg[/IMG]

67 per cent of pedestrian-vehicle collisions can be attributed to driver error :-0

67% is actually lower than I thought. I thought driver error would account for 90%....

so basically the idiots going against this campaign, don't want to help the the 13% of idiots that want to be texting while crossing the street.

also I want to know what the breakdown of fatalities is.... if 13% is attributed to pedestrians not paying attention... what percent of the dead pedestrians is due to not paying attention??

90%???

because the ones paying attention, they stand a chance to minimize impact.. the ones not pay attention... THEY JUST DIE.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14472 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
daivey wrote: 67% is actually lower than I thought. I thought driver error would account for 90%....

so basically the idiots going against this campaign, don't want to help the the 13% of idiots that want to be texting while crossing the street.

also I want to know what the breakdown of fatalities is.... if 13% is attributed to pedestrians not paying attention... what percent of the dead pedestrians is due to not paying attention??

90%???

because the ones paying attention, they stand a chance to minimize impact.. the ones not pay attention... THEY JUST DIE.
Agreed.

The idiots against this campaign just see 'victim blaming' and hop onboard without reading any further. To me there's no need for the campaign..those stupid enough to walk around and cross streets texting with headphones that get run over...well... its just part of natural selection.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10978 upvotes
Scarbs
Swswswish wrote: Updating your twitter is more important than being able to walk / being alive
"omg Beats has awesome noise isolation #canthearwhatsgoingonaroundme"
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3741 posts
3965 upvotes
Toronto
cartfan123 wrote: Agreed.

those stupid enough to walk around and cross streets texting with headphones that get run over...well... its just part of natural selection.
Let's hope they have no offsprings!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
I wouldn't be surprised to find that the 67% number is actually lower than that. Given how hitting a pedestrian is almost always sighted as the motorists fault.
I think this campaign is indeed an excellent idea. The onus should be and is on both parties to ensure that the roadways are safe for all who venture out on them be they on wheels of any type or on foot.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309