• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2008 7:06 pm
Tags:
None
May 10, 2008
84 posts
toronto

Peel and stick tiles

I found a peel and stick tile that would look decent in my 6" x 8" washroom and want to know if peel and stick is an okay option. It's from Rona Lansing -Quickstyle Millenia 1.2mm 12"x12".

I'd originally started out looking at sheet vinyl but haven't found anything at HD, Rona, Lowe's in the right colour or that I like for my washroom. Budget is tight, but I also want something that I won't have problems with or have to replace in a couple of years.

So - is the peel and stick okay, or should I stick with sheet vinyl? Anyone used Millenia? Should I put extra adhesive down with the peel and stick (one guy at Rona said yes, another no?!).

Would appreciate any help as I'm a newbie to vinyl tiles and will be doing the work myself.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
3771 posts
231 upvotes
Calgary
Base floor must be clean, dust free, very smooth (fill in all seams between plywood) well screwed down etc. It is amazing how these seemingly rigid tiles will show every blemish in the subfloor.

I say do not put down extra adhesive
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Peel and stick is fine, and I wouldnt use extra adhesive, as it might be hard to predict how the 2 adhesives react to each other.

Peel and stick is easy to do, which is nice. My wife put some in at a cottage we were selling on Lake Erie. A very affordable and neat way to spruce up a kitchen / bathroom, kind of like pergo. But if I had a house of any value and I'd go with something a little more high end.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4037 posts
598 upvotes
Kitchener
my friend installed peel & stick tiles last year in his bathroom and some of them didn't stick well, especially around the toilet and tub area. What he did wrong was lay them over existing lino. Because there was too much of a cushion under the toilet with the two layers of flooring the toilet bolts became loose over a few months and the seal leaked. I had to rip them up a month ago, replace the water damaged floor and lay ceramic tiles. The other tiles in the bathroom were stuck well, had to rip the subfloor up to remove them.
[OP]
May 10, 2008
84 posts
toronto
Cough wrote:
Dec 24th, 2008 2:27 pm
Base floor must be clean, dust free, very smooth (fill in all seams between plywood) well screwed down etc. It is amazing how these seemingly rigid tiles will show every blemish in the subfloor.

I say do not put down extra adhesive
Thanks for the input. I'll be laying the tiles on concrete. It's kind of gritty but I was told if I do a light sanding that will be good enough.
[OP]
May 10, 2008
84 posts
toronto
stealth wrote:
Dec 24th, 2008 2:32 pm
Peel and stick is fine, and I wouldnt use extra adhesive, as it might be hard to predict how the 2 adhesives react to each other.

Peel and stick is easy to do, which is nice. My wife put some in at a cottage we were selling on Lake Erie. A very affordable and neat way to spruce up a kitchen / bathroom, kind of like pergo. But if I had a house of any value and I'd go with something a little more high end.
Thanks, Stealth. No $$ for anything more at the moment and I don't believe in spending what I don't have :cheesygri
[OP]
May 10, 2008
84 posts
toronto
Drthorne wrote:
Dec 24th, 2008 3:26 pm
my friend installed peel & stick tiles last year in his bathroom and some of them didn't stick well, especially around the toilet and tub area. What he did wrong was lay them over existing lino. Because there was too much of a cushion under the toilet with the two layers of flooring the toilet bolts became loose over a few months and the seal leaked. I had to rip them up a month ago, replace the water damaged floor and lay ceramic tiles. The other tiles in the bathroom were stuck well, had to rip the subfloor up to remove them.
Sounds like quite a job you and your friend ended up with. I'll be laying them up to the toilet, not under, and on concrete, so hopefully they'll stick fine.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2006
1007 posts
Have you tried End of the Roll for sheet flooring? They have good prices on their remnants.
× < >