• Feb 17th, 2018 8:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2957 posts
584 upvotes
Ontario, Canada

Peking duck in toronto

I want roast duck. If there is a technical difference between "peking duck" and "roast duck" i'm not concerned. i just want the shaved skin/meat with the wraps/onion/hoisin. If there are the other courses (soup or the duck stirfy with lettuce leaves) that's just bonus.

Any recommendations for this in toronto? Also want it paired with decent food.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3130 posts
1901 upvotes
Kevinck wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 1:57 pm
I want roast duck. If there is a technical difference between "peking duck" and "roast duck" i'm not concerned. i just want the shaved skin/meat with the wraps/onion/hoisin. If there are the other courses (soup or the duck stirfy with lettuce leaves) that's just bonus.

There's a peking duck restaurant on every corner in Markham.. just search Zomato for a decent Chinese restaurant nearby and chances are, they will have a pretty decent peking duck combo available.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4414 posts
685 upvotes
Toronto
Kevinck wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 1:57 pm

Do a search here. There's already a few threads here and i rmbr recommending Peking Man in North York. This place is a little bit more upscale.

Dragon Legend also has peking duck if you also want a buffet. Pretty decent for a buffet.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3918 posts
2551 upvotes
Toronto
Peking duck is what you want.

Cheap and decent:
Perfect Chinese Restaurant (Order $20 worth of food from regular menu and you can get peking duck for $11.99)
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/perfect-chinese ... carborough

Better food quality and good decent peking duck:
Asian Legend (Various locations in GTA):
https://www.asianlegend.ca/

Good Peking Ducks(If you just want peking duck):

Peking Man:
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/peking-man-rest ... north-york

Peking Duck Kitchen:
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/peking-duck-kitchen-toronto

Chung King Garden(It's technically in Markham):
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/chung-king-gard ... nt-markham
Jul 28, 2007
76 posts
15 upvotes
My go to is Dayali

Chung King is decent

Peking man sucks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2957 posts
584 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Thanks all. My wife did her own internet search and came up with Chung king as a suggestion. se we'll try it.

We've been to dayali for duck and it was great. but the other food is.... is it beijing style?... not what we're used to.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3361 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
My recommendation is to look for a decent traditional Chinese restaurant instead. Many of them have Peking duck since it's a popular dish. Most online reviews focus on the specialty places but I find you're usually paying premium for slightly better food at these places.

My 2 cents.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2957 posts
584 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
windforcexx28 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 11:16 am
My recommendation is to look for a decent traditional Chinese restaurant instead. Many of them have Peking duck since it's a popular dish. Most online reviews focus on the specialty places but I find you're usually paying premium for slightly better food at these places.

My 2 cents.
That was the point of this thread. I don't live in the city or have connections to the chinese community since my grandparents passed. I appreciate good and traditional. no chicken balls with neon sauce. My only source of recommendations on which restaurant to try come from yelp/zomato type sites or googling "good chinese in toronto". And i agree this probably caters to the more expensive and "pretty" places.

Or asking random people on internet forums :-) Can you name a personal favorite of yours?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4414 posts
685 upvotes
Toronto
Kevinck wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 8:56 am
Thanks all. My wife did her own internet search and came up with Chung king as a suggestion. se we'll try it.

We've been to dayali for duck and it was great. but the other food is.... is it beijing style?... not what we're used to.
Authentic peking duck is rare here or even in HK, It's really fatty and nobody likes that so pretty much 100% of peking duck here is roasted duck you see at chinese BBQ places.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5070 posts
354 upvotes
Markham
Kevinck wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 8:56 am

Went to Chung King recently after not going for close to 10yrs -- overall quality has gone downhill (duck was ok but the other dishes were underwhelming)
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
20709 posts
5556 upvotes
Toronto
change of owner about 5+ yrs ago. I last went before the change of ownership, it was one of the better ones in the GTA. Have not gone there since.
Mar 3, 2017
110 posts
41 upvotes
Pretty much every Chinese restaurant has this dish. It's a commodity item now. All they do is cook it thoroughly in the morning then leave it as is, and when an order comes in they throw hot oil on it to recrisp the skin. It's more of a loss-leader item these days.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3446 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
yesstyle wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 4:02 pm
Do a search here. There's already a few threads here and i rmbr recommending Peking Man in North York. This place is a little bit more upscale.
I would not say that Peking Man is upscale. Especially the interior, it is a very old and dated interior. The peking duck was alright when I went, and I got the rest stir fried to consume with the lettuce.
El-Cheapo88 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 11:10 pm
My go to is Dayali

Peking man sucks
I have yet to try Dayali, should get around to it one day.
Mar 3, 2017
110 posts
41 upvotes
Peking Man is ok. Dayali is upscale and done well. You can also try dragon boat fusion - they do it well too, but do not specialize in this.
May 7, 2008
556 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
Roast duck and Beijing duck should be different. Not to say a Cantonese style roast duck wouldn't have crispy skin, but a Peking Duck needs to IMO - with it being the most critical component. The second course is truly an afterthought, probably best left as cold leftovers. A lot of people like the meat underneath the skin, but even still that takes a far back seat to the skin and the subcutaneous fat layer that is the highlight of Peking duck. Unlike yesstyle - I crave the fatty layer underneath the skin, and actually think a lot of folks outside of HK and Toronto do too.

As for GTA's offerings:

Peking Man used to be the champ - haven't been there in many years and indeed nothing else is worthwhile to eat there other than the duck. I always thought there thin wrappers or pancakes or crepes - whatever you want to call them were the best.

ChungKing is middling at best - I think even the duck is not as good as it used to be.

Dayali is the champ in GTA right now - but who knows what will happen Quanjude comes to town (if the rumours are true)

Honestly the dish is hit or miss at a lot of places - have some great ones at the most random restaurants and been disappointed by supposed stalwarts of the dish. I eat this way too much as my Dad orders it every time we are out no matter which restaurant we are at.

Honorable mention goes to Emperor Fine Cuisine in Richmond Hill near Bayview and 16th Ave. Haven't been there in a while but they used to have Monday evening half price special on Peking Duck.