Peking duck in toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 8:14 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1780 posts
410 upvotes
Unionville, ON
I've had Peking Duck at Dayali, the one at East Beaver Creek in Richmond Hill.

It was decent, not the best as I've had the same at a number of other places in Markham too. Like someone said, most Chinese restaurants serves this dish.

I would return to Dayali though as their presentation was really good, and the duck was adequately served with proper timing of the meal so that it doesn't overwhelm you. Mind you the only time I tried it was just myself and the hubster, which means we could hardly finish a whole duck to ourselves. Even reheated at home the next day the meat was still moist and tender.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2869 posts
546 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Did Chung king.
Dayali has a lot of meat with the skin. Chung king did not. But maybe that's because at Dayali i didn't get the second course (duck meat stirfry with lettuce leaf wraps).
Personally i liked the quality at Dayali better. So does my 6yr old. But my strange family likes the stirfry/lettuce course more than the skin course.

But it was good enough to satisfy my craving. Meal was enjoyed by everyone. We ordered 2 for 7 people along with other dishes. No duck went to waste.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Although now it's tickled my urge to try out more places and find my "perfect" one. Damn cravings.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8347 posts
750 upvotes
We will be going to Chung King this Sat. Excited.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3361 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
JKKim2983 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 10:56 pm
I would return to Dayali though as their presentation was really good, and the duck was adequately served with proper timing of the meal so that it doesn't overwhelm you. Mind you the only time I tried it was just myself and the hubster, which means we could hardly finish a whole duck to ourselves. Even reheated at home the next day the meat was still moist and tender.
Dayali has one of the better Peking ducks in the city. Problem is their other foods are mediocre at best. I prefer the Warden location more than the RH location.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10258 posts
637 upvotes
Emperor is pretty good and they have a very cheap special two days of the week...I want to say Tuesday and Friday but you should call. Also get the honey glazed fried oysters!

Another suggestion...the dragon legend buffet has Peking duck and the rest of the food is actually pretty good. It's a fun experience. These days instead of Peking duck we just to there when we have that craving.

To me, dayali was just okay. Would not return there.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4220 posts
611 upvotes
Toronto
slowtyper wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 3:44 am
Emperor is pretty good and they have a very cheap special two days of the week...I want to say Tuesday and Friday but you should call. Also get the honey glazed fried oysters!

Another suggestion...the dragon legend buffet has Peking duck and the rest of the food is actually pretty good. It's a fun experience. These days instead of Peking duck we just to there when we have that craving.

Agreed that the peking duck at dragon legend is pretty decent for a buffet (on par with cheaper restaurants). There's a noticeable amount of meat in each slice (yet tender and moist) but understandable in order to minimize waste.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): 2 Queen St East or Eaton Centre (or nearby places)
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1374 posts
11 upvotes
usa
I saw the Dayali menu on Yelp, and there is a gold metal roast duck and Peking style roast duck. What's the difference between them? How many pancakes do you get with each order? What are the choices for the 2nd course? Some place it's only stir fry for lettucexwtsp, others would offer other options.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1780 posts
410 upvotes
Unionville, ON
slowtyper wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 3:44 am

I find the Peking duck at Dragon Legend way too salty it overpowered the taste of the duck.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1280 posts
218 upvotes
North York
I've eaten a lot of Peking duck in GTA and my list of good duck is quite narrow. I'd also tasted real Peking duck in Beijing (the Gold standard places) and realized the subtle differences between Beijing style vs typical Cantonese style Peking duck. Beijing style typically comes in 2 different ways. First a selection of the skin alone (no meat) is served with some white sugar for you to sprinkle on for flavour. At the good places you can really taste the smokiness and roasting of a well done duck. Second course is the traditional skin with meat in wrappers and assorted ingredients. If you want the soup or cabbage wraps 3rd and 4th courses, then you're more into the Cantonese style.

For the Cantonese style, we prefer Skyview Fusion on Woodbine (south of 407, next to Costco). Nice and smoky, with a rich complex Hoisin sauce. They also have other dishes which are well done. Place is a bit more upscale so be prepared to pay a bit more for your meal.

Another decent Cantonese style place is Maple Yip in Scarborough. They have many other excellent dishes as well besides duck and you'll get a good meal for the buck. Tons of solid reviews for this place.

Another foodie friend of mine likes Dragon Boat in Richmond Hill.

For the traditional Beijing style, Dayali has a few locations but only order their Gold medal duck which has better flavour than the cheaper regular version duck. The main problem I have with Dayali is that their other dishes are really hit and miss and if you aren't into traditional Beijing dishes, then you may not like this place. Plus their service in all locations are horrendous.

A newer Beijing duck style place that I tried 2 months ago that is just as good as Dayali's gold medal duck is at Peking Duck Kitchen at 1 Glen Watford Avenue in Scarborough (Sheppard, east of Midland). Their duck chef used to work at the famous Quan Ju De in Beijing. Their skin wrappers are simply amazing, so thin yet still holds everything in place. Makes eating multiple wraps more easily without getting full too quickly.

Quan Ju De is opening up a chain soon in GTA, I'm eagerly waiting to try it out after their initial opening night jitters are sorted out.

Avoid places like Chung King, Peking Man, Asian Legend, you'll just get crap duck.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8347 posts
750 upvotes
Just got back Chung King for dinner. Food was OK at best, small portions. Duck was also OK, good but not nearly the best at all.
May 7, 2008
528 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Snobby I know, but can't even admit to going to Dragon Legend. But extended family likes going there and usually the "Peking Duck" is one of things that I don't mind eating (the fried chicken wings are pretty good too when fresh batch comes out!).

My experience is the opposite of yours - was there this weekend and found that the duck is relatively tasteless and underseasoned. Had it 3 times from 3 separate ducks.

Not worse duck in city if you do find yourself at this buffet.

By the way was there on a 5:30pm...thinking it would be all seniors and families with kids, but the place was super packed. Anyone wanna open a buffet like this with me? Make our first million in a month!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2248 posts
671 upvotes
antihero wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 3:02 am
Snobby I know, but can't even admit to going to Dragon Legend. But extended family likes going there and usually the "Peking Duck" is one of things that I don't mind eating (the fried chicken wings are pretty good too when fresh batch comes out!).

My experience is the opposite of yours - was there this weekend and found that the duck is relatively tasteless and underseasoned. Had it 3 times from 3 separate ducks.

By the way was there on a 5:30pm...thinking it would be all seniors and families with kids, but the place was super packed. Anyone wanna open a buffet like this with me? Make our first million in a month!
dont know how you find it tasteless and under seasoned when its caked with msg!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4220 posts
611 upvotes
Toronto
antihero wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 3:02 am

usually, the taste makeup of the peking duck is like 70% hoisin sauce, 20% duck, 10% other filings like green onion. I mostly give notice to the crispiness of the skin and tenderness of the meat.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): 2 Queen St East or Eaton Centre (or nearby places)
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1374 posts
11 upvotes
usa
I would love to try the duck at Dayali, but not sure if I would like the other dishes since I don't think I had any Beijing food before. If I did, then I didn't know they were Beijing food.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4402 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone comment R&D on Spadina, Toronto ChinaTown? It's not one of those authentic Chinese cuisine in Markham, Scarborough but seemed like their Peking duck was nice.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)