Is the "penalty box" new?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2014 3:10 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 7, 2010
689 posts
147 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: Most sites have similar systems in place. We try to keep things PG on this site and I'm sorry if that doesn't suit your posting style.Once a user hits that submit reply button it's fair game.
Since when is a video that have posted on RFD with swear worrd like S**T & M****R F*****G is consider PG ?

report-apple-looking-purchase-beats-ele ... n-1479974/ #15
Posen9 wrote: I wonder if Bargainshunter really is Clooney. Would be kind of cool if he really was.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2990 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Hi

I am not sure how this works.. when do I get out of the penalty box?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
hdave wrote: Hi

I am not sure how this works.. when do I get out of the penalty box?
Look at your infraction tab and the expiration date of infractions. When you are under 10 points you will be out of the box...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36617 upvotes
Scarborough
joeyjoejoe wrote: Embedding no, but posting a link to it seems acceptable. However, mods' response time has dropped dramatically.
Linking to content which is inappropriate and against the rules would be no different than embedding it.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: Embedding no, but posting a link to it seems acceptable. However, mods' response time has dropped dramatically.
Honestly, it's summer now and were busy just like everyone else. We do it when we can but we're out enjoying the nice weather just like others are. I'm rarely inside in the summer, and it's not as quick or easy to do certain things from my phone. We do what we can though
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Any1 have a screen shot of said penalty box?? Never seen one myself..
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: Linking to content which is inappropriate and against the rules would be no different than embedding it.
I always thought that indirect approach was the imaginary line of what is acceptable... at least from what I've seen in the modding. Example: The post which bargainshunter flagged was edited by a mod to remove the embedded video. But the link which goes to an article with the same video is still there.
Shaner wrote: Honestly, it's summer now and were busy just like everyone else. We do it when we can but we're out enjoying the nice weather just like others are. I'm rarely inside in the summer, and it's not as quick or easy to do certain things from my phone. We do what we can though
I'm not taking about a few hours or even days. I'm talking about weeks to never. In the past, it was the less popular forums which got very slow response time to no response at all (ie Pets forum), but now this lag is in more popular forums.

Also... technically it isn't summer yet. ;) Just kidding... It is REALLY nice out right now.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2990 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
I posted a question in hot deals yesterday and it has still not been approved.. how long does it typically take?
I also know of a few posts I've done in fitness that were done weeks ago and didnt appear yet (only helpful advice)

this penalty box is kind of useless.. might as well just keep it as temp ban...
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4191 posts
5292 upvotes
on the links!
Shaner wrote: Honestly, it's summer now and were busy just like everyone else.
In my little corner of the earth, it's still spring.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
This change came a bit late but finally.

Stuff that got people into physical fights don't even come close to comments some users made on the forums. A lot of my friends stalk the site but were afraid of jumping in.

Some profile pictures were outright offensive, enough to get someone fired.

People get too comfortable and forget RFD is a private business interest, not a public good.

I have always wondered if the mods are all volunteers, if so, keep up the good work.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
aznnorth wrote: Any1 have a screen shot of said penalty box?? Never seen one myself..
quite few users have them now, let me know if you still looking
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote: I have always wondered if the mods are all volunteers
all of the mods are volunteers
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I'm genuinely interested in hearing what the administration's opinion on what good banning actually does?

It does not actually stop a person from posting. It only stops a "user". Since new accounts can be freely created... it's more like banning somebody's pants from a building, but not the person wearing them. Banning by IP is probably not done, because these days IPs frequently change hands and are easily completely bypassed through tunneling anyway. Using cookies or other client side tokens is no good because you can use many PCs, many different browsers, and easily clear them out.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
BinaryJay wrote: I'm genuinely interested in hearing what the administration's opinion on what good banning actually does?

It does not actually stop a person from posting. It only stops a "user". Since new accounts can be freely created... it's more like banning somebody's pants from a building, but not the person wearing them. Banning by IP is probably not done, because these days IPs frequently change hands and are easily completely bypassed through tunneling anyway. Using cookies or other client side tokens is no good because you can use many PCs, many different browsers, and easily clear them out.
I kind of wonder about this too...there have been some new users lately that seem really familiar with the forum and its members, so you just know they have had accounts before. I think I recall one of the mods saying if they want to start a new account and they behave themselves, it's not as bad as if they were on here to troll.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: I'm genuinely interested in hearing what the administration's opinion on what good banning actually does?

Not all users will create a new account. Those who come here to spam a business will likely move on after being banned. Those people have to be banned otherwise they'll continue to spam. Someone who has been here a while but keeps breaking the rules resulting in a ban may create a new account. These types of people sometimes try harder to follow the rules the second time around because they don't want to be banned again. If they want to create another account and follow the rules, they are free to do so. We aren't going to go on a witch hunt looking for duplicate accounts if they're not causing any trouble. Those who join just to stir up trouble will likely continue creating accounts until they get tired of us banning them and then they'll move on to some other site.

So it does do some good.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36617 upvotes
Scarborough
Everything Shaner said is true. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to ban anyone but there are those who don't like to play by the rules. There are a lot of ways for users to come back after a ban and no we don't actively look for these users. In fact I personally have no problem if a previously banned user who comes back and plays by the rules. If I learn that they were previously banned then we'll have to take action.

Users who get banned, rejoin AND continue doing what it is that got them banned in the first place will instantly be banned (without any warning or strikes). This is usually how it goes but I'm sure there are enough users on the site who were previously banned but decided to come around.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32143 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Just curious, i've never seen it before
Deal Guru
May 25, 2011
10105 posts
14411 upvotes
This is answered in comments and suggestions.
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
44565 posts
44973 upvotes
Economy, NS
joeyjoejoe wrote: I don't see this... I guess it only appears if you get an infraction?
Daf wrote: Where do u see that rating?
beachdude wrote: Click on your username & there are different tabs. One of them is "difference of opinions from moder.." err, I mean "infractions"
I don't see it either.