Automotive

Penalty for driving with no license/expired license?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2011 10:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 22, 2010
626 posts
164 upvotes
toronto

Penalty for driving with no license/expired license?

My final road test for G takes place soon. Due to my wonderful procrastination,I waited almost till the expiration date to attempt it. I'm confident I will pass because I'm a competent driver (no tickets or accidents in 4 years and pretty good technically), but just in case I do not, I understand that I will have to restart the testing procedures again, right from the written test (without the minimum waiting periods between the tests). My questions are: 1. Do they take away the G2 driver's license after a failed test (if your G2 expires) or do they allow you to keep the expired license with you? 2. What is the maximum penalty for driving without a license/expired license? I just want to know whether its worthwhile to take the short term risk (I have a very long distance to get to work). I've seen posts where people stated $325 for driving with an expired license that they did not renew. Would my case be similar or is there another fine set up for my specific transgression? Please answer if you know. Thanks!
18 replies
Moderator
User avatar
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
lear wrote:
Apr 13th, 2011 10:55 pm
My final road test for G takes place soon. Due to my wonderful procrastination,I waited almost till the expiration date to attempt it. I'm confident I will pass because I'm a competent driver (no tickets or accidents in 4 years and pretty good technically), but just in case I do not, I understand that I will have to restart the testing procedures again, right from the written test (without the minimum waiting periods between the tests). My questions are: 1. Do they take away the G2 driver's license after a failed test (if your G2 expires) or do they allow you to keep the expired license with you? 2. What is the maximum penalty for driving without a license/expired license? I just want to know whether its worthwhile to take the short term risk (I have a very long distance to get to work). I've seen posts where people stated $325 for driving with an expired license that they did not renew. Would my case be similar or is there another fine set up for my specific transgression? Please answer if you know. Thanks!

Well... putting the potential tickets/fines aside. did you check your insurance policy yet?
You're not allowed to drive with an expired (invalid) license, and if you do - your insurance company will probably not cover you for any claims.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 22, 2010
626 posts
164 upvotes
toronto
phuviano wrote:
Apr 14th, 2011 1:15 am
I believe the MTO has extensions on G2 licence's for the reason you stated. There is a fee for it, can't remember how much though.

Call the MTO, ask.

end thread/

I still did not get the information I wanted (amount of fine you'd get from a cop in my case) so don't end thread.

My license expires on the same day as the G test. I phoned and was told that no extensions would be given and that I would need to start from square one if I do not pass.

So how much is the fine, anyone?
Moderator
User avatar
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
lear wrote:
Apr 14th, 2011 2:20 am
I still did not get the information I wanted (amount of fine you'd get from a cop in my case) so don't end thread.

My license expires on the same day as the G test. I phoned and was told that no extensions would be given and that I would need to start from square one if I do not pass.

So how much is the fine, anyone?

Ok...

Driving with no licence - $300+
Failure to surrender licence (if they take your license away) - $110?

+ whatever else they pull you over for.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 22, 2010
626 posts
164 upvotes
toronto
AcidBomber wrote:
Apr 14th, 2011 2:55 am
Ok...

Driving with no licence - $300+
Failure to surrender licence (if they take your license away) - $110?

+ whatever else they pull you over for.

Wonderful. That's exactly what i wanted. Now I know the full repercussions and risks and have something to mull over, in the event I do not pass the test. Quick clarifications AcidBomber:
1. When you say $300+, how much precisely are we talking about (i.e., in the $300 range)?
2. Will they tow the vehicle if I do not surrender my license or have an invalid license or will they let me drive it home?

Can anyone else confirm Acidbomber's description of the fines and the amounts?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
116 upvotes
lear wrote:
Apr 14th, 2011 5:29 am
Wonderful. That's exactly what i wanted. Now I know the full repercussions and risks and have something to mull over, in the event I do not pass the test. Quick clarifications AcidBomber:
1. When you say $300+, how much precisely are we talking about (i.e., in the $300 range)?
2. Will they tow the vehicle if I do not surrender my license or have an invalid license or will they let me drive it home?

Can anyone else confirm Acidbomber's description of the fines and the amounts?

If this is not a troll thread it is simply a stupid one. You want to know if you will be allowed to continue driving your car if you get stopped for driving without a license? Seriously, think that one through.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5299 posts
910 upvotes
???
OP prob over stocked for 420 and the aroma is making him high and stupid.
spf1971 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2011 6:04 am
If this is not a troll thread it is simply a stupid one. You want to know if you will be allowed to continue driving your car if you get stopped for driving without a license? Seriously, think that one through.
Sr. Member
Dec 6, 2006
674 posts
28 upvotes
Worst case scenario is:

You get in an accident after your licenses are expired, seriously maiming the occupants of the car you hit. Police give you tickets for driving without insurance ($3xx) + ticket for driving dangerously (why? because this is a worst case scenario). Impound what is left of your car.

The people in the car you hit sue you for pain and suffering (lets say $1 000 000) because one of them is paraplegic and the other suffers from severe back pain for life, your insurance wont cover this because you were driving without a license. You have to declare bankruptcy, your parents have to declare bankruptcy. You live under a rock for the next 7 years(credit), never able to get a credit, a car and therefore a job. Your life is ruined... Game over.
Moderator
User avatar
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
lear wrote:
Apr 14th, 2011 5:29 am
Wonderful. That's exactly what i wanted. Now I know the full repercussions and risks and have something to mull over, in the event I do not pass the test. Quick clarifications AcidBomber:
1. When you say $300+, how much precisely are we talking about (i.e., in the $300 range)?
2. Will they tow the vehicle if I do not surrender my license or have an invalid license or will they let me drive it home?

Can anyone else confirm Acidbomber's description of the fines and the amounts?

If your licence is expired (aka - invalid), you're not going to get to drive anymore.
And depending on the officer, he/she will either let you call someone to drive it home or tow your vehicle to the pound and you can pay the towing ($100+) and storage fee ($50+) to get it back.

i think you should look over the G road test routes/tips and prepare yourself so you will pass.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Sr. Member
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
30 upvotes
lear wrote:
Apr 14th, 2011 5:29 am
Wonderful. That's exactly what i wanted. Now I know the full repercussions and risks and have something to mull over, in the event I do not pass the test. Quick clarifications AcidBomber:
1. When you say $300+, how much precisely are we talking about (i.e., in the $300 range)?
2. Will they tow the vehicle if I do not surrender my license or have an invalid license or will they let me drive it home?

Can anyone else confirm Acidbomber's description of the fines and the amounts?

as somewhat already stated, these are not the full reprecussions. Sure those are the fines you get if you get caught but what if you get in an accident where you are no longer covered?...can you shell out one million dollars if you get sued
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2010
805 posts
80 upvotes
guigz wrote:
Apr 14th, 2011 11:53 am
Worst case scenario is:

You get in an accident after your licenses are expired, seriously maiming the occupants of the car you hit. Police give you tickets for driving without insurance ($3xx) + ticket for driving dangerously (why? because this is a worst case scenario). Impound what is left of your car.

The people in the car you hit sue you for pain and suffering (lets say $1 000 000) because one of them is paraplegic and the other suffers from severe back pain for life, your insurance wont cover this because you were driving without a license. You have to declare bankruptcy, your parents have to declare bankruptcy. You live under a rock for the next 7 years(credit), never able to get a credit, a car and therefore a job. Your life is ruined... Game over.

Even a less severe, but possible situation:
You are at fault in an accident that writes off someone's $40,000 car. Your insurance won't cover it, that's coming from your pocket.
Member
User avatar
Mar 12, 2011
382 posts
11 upvotes
ET
my post got deleted lol because Stereotyping / Racist Comment

you can be in jail driving without an licence, officer can charge you and you might not able get back your driver licence again or even for life. Since YOU were the one who allowed your licence in jeopardize
Make it a GREAT day!
Deal Addict
May 29, 2009
1067 posts
52 upvotes
Sometimes I wonder why people ask questions of this nature on a public forum. And be so demanding with answers too..

Would be fun to fail the OP, and catch him the next day driving on an expired license.
× < >

Top