Automotive

Pending first car purchase (Audi) - help/ your thoughts plz!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2017 5:50 pm
[OP]
Banned
Sep 4, 2017
53 posts
27 upvotes

Pending first car purchase (Audi) - help/ your thoughts plz!

I'll keep it brief...

Looking to buy my first car, straight through a dealership.
Found a 2014 Audi A4 that seems perfect - has everything I wanted, and supposedly more.

Car was advertised on kijiji, autotrader, and on the dealer's site as a "Technik" package... which i know is the highest trim. It also has s-line, but the seats don't say s-line on them as I imagine the sports seats are extra and the previous owner didn't opt for them.

The car was advertised by the dealer at 62k odometer.

Anyways... I get the car proof:
https://imgur.com/a/j0bGV

First thing I notice is that, the model says Prestige? Not Technik?

I've spent about two hours googling this, and haven't got any response that makes sense to me. Any clarity on this? Does it matter, am I missing out on anything compared to the actual "Technik" package? The prestige package isnt even on AUdi's site??

Second... I'm in Ontario, the car is being bought from a Quebec AUdi dealership.. and this is the service that shows up.

https://imgur.com/a/GEPHJ

Is this... normal? crazy? odd? 2 years on the road, and first service check at 40k?????? Guy didn't take it in at all before then? No routine checkups?!

Either way, put a deposit down, going to check it out next week. And then...

Since the car was advertised as accident free, no reported accidents (as of the car proof report which is now 45days old obviously).

My buddy insisted I ask for a "paint depth check" and the dealership called me back when I asked for that "paint depth check" with this line (paraphrasing):
"The hood has some minor stone scratches, we wont allow the car to be driven off the lot unless its in impeccable condition, we plan on repainting the hood, we're just letting you know now, so there are no shocks or surprises."
Me: Ok... I assume you'll give me a formal report though that tells me the "paint depth And safe to assume that the rest of the car isnt being repainted obviously?"
Dealer: "Right, just the hood"
Me: "ok..."

Any help would be most appreciated
[removed for signature violation]
47 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33827 posts
7763 upvotes
Ottawa
With the information you provided, i suspect the car was a lease.
The "Tecknic" package was only added nav and a few more electronic additions. I could be added to any model. https://www.autobytel.com/car-ownership ... ls-124317/
As far as I know, the S Line package (Sport line) is only a suspension package. You will need to see this on the vehicle build sheet. The "S" on the seats comes with the S models (4s, 5s etc)
Never owned an Audi but researched them a lot and ended up buying a BMW.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25099 posts
9983 upvotes
Toronto
US names their trim level like that. Premium. Premium Plus. Prestige.

Why do you need to put a deposit down to go check it out ? If you do, make sure you worded it as "Refundable 100% in the event you decide not to proceed with the car's purchase"

How much is the car listing for ? $25K ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6612 posts
5261 upvotes
North York
I don't know about Audi but I'd guess Audi is similar to Mercedes, yearly maintenance and oil change. So basically just bring your car in once a year to get it serviced, there's no need to do anything in between.
The milage/year is high I'd say.

Test drive, bring a mechanic.

Carproof doesn't say much if the car was in an accident and got fixed privately. Paint depth check would be a good start. Do it yourself, don't trust what they say. Get everything in writing, just in case you need to sue them later.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 4, 2017
53 posts
27 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 8:04 am
With the information you provided, i suspect the car was a lease.
The "Tecknic" package was only added nav and a few more electronic additions. I could be added to any model. https://www.autobytel.com/car-ownership ... ls-124317/
As far as I know, the S Line package (Sport line) is only a suspension package. You will need to see this on the vehicle build sheet. The "S" on the seats comes with the S models (4s, 5s etc)
Never owned an Audi but researched them a lot and ended up buying a BMW.
The trim levels on audi.ca show as komfort, progressive, Technik. The "s" on seats I alluded to have the contours but actually say "s line" on them. These are the sports seats, not standard with sline I guess...

Based on your name... What does that mean this is a US car????
[OP]
Banned
Sep 4, 2017
53 posts
27 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 8:19 am
US names their trim level like that. Premium. Premium Plus. Prestige.

Why do you need to put a deposit down to go check it out ? If you do, make sure you worded it as "Refundable 100% in the event you decide not to proceed with the car's purchase"

How much is the car listing for ? $25K ?
The car was listed as $29990 without certified pre-owned. Currently the lowest I can get the dealer is $27.5+tax for certified pre-owned, which gives me another 2years of warranty.

I can only make it out to see it next week. That's why they wanted a deposit to hold it. And yes, it's 100% refundable.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4597 upvotes
Montreal
PPI on an Audi is highly recommended. IMO removing the factory paint from the hood and all its phosphate, zinc, e-coat simply for 'minor stone chips' is not a good idea. Did you ask if there were any physical service records on paper? Many independents and some dealers do not report to Carproof. I would definitely get the extended warranty.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 4, 2017
53 posts
27 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 8:23 am
I don't know about Audi but I'd guess Audi is similar to Mercedes, yearly maintenance and oil change. So basically just bring your car in once a year to get it serviced, there's no need to do anything in between.
The milage/year is high I'd say.

Test drive, bring a mechanic.

Carproof doesn't say much if the car was in an accident and got fixed privately. Paint depth check would be a good start. Do it yourself, don't trust what they say. Get everything in writing, just in case you need to sue them later.
But even the yearly check should have the odometer recorded? No??
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25099 posts
9983 upvotes
Toronto
$27.5 + taxes with +2 yrs extended warranty would still be a premium offering. Just my 2 cents.
Dec 10, 2007
587 posts
376 upvotes
Arviat
Ask for the VIN and do an Audi vin check (there's a couple of sites to do this just google it) to find the exact trim and what specific options it comes with.
Remember when you liked what you currently have
[OP]
Banned
Sep 4, 2017
53 posts
27 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 8:52 am
$27.5 + taxes with +2 yrs extended warranty would still be a premium offering. Just my 2 cents.
Sorry what do you mean by premium offering? As in... Good deal for dealer? Or for me.

Because based on my market research, this is by far the lowest priced I've seen... Assuming of course there's nothing fishy about the prestige/service check stuff...

Thx for your prompt replies!
[OP]
Banned
Sep 4, 2017
53 posts
27 upvotes
ellesdad wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 8:56 am
Ask for the VIN and do an Audi vin check (there's a couple of sites to do this just google it) to find the exact trim and what specific options it comes with.
I have the vin. What sites do you recommend? And what am I looking for exactly?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25099 posts
9983 upvotes
Toronto
It means you are offering a bit more than the perceived fair value for the car ... just my opinion, of course. Dealer will always ask for the 'sky' for their used cars, given the min. margin to take is around 20-25% and their typical listing price at the beginning could be as high as 35-40%, esp. for low mileage and very clean car.
Last edited by booblehead on Sep 29th, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33827 posts
7763 upvotes
Ottawa
Gnm2011 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 8:46 am
The trim levels on audi.ca show as komfort, progressive, Technik. The "s" on seats I alluded to have the contours but actually say "s line" on them. These are the sports seats, not standard with sline I guess...

Based on your name... What does that mean this is a US car????
Yes, those are the trim lines for 2017 and 2018. 3 or 4 years ago nomenclature was different.
S line is an added package and Tecknik is a trim line. This information is on the Audi site.
What does this mean "Based on your name... What does that mean this is a US car????"?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.