Careers

PEO with only College Diploma

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2018 11:12 pm
[OP]
May 13, 2018
3 posts

PEO with only College Diploma

I am currently looking into getting my Peng as my boss has been nudging me to get it. Unfortunately with a family it is difficult to apply to university and work full time. I have a 3 year diploma from college locally.

I contacted the PEO office and aside from telling me it is possible, they do not really give any advice over the phone till they get your take your money. From their licencing guide it states:

"Specific Examination Program. Applicants whose academic
qualifications are judged by PEO to fall between those of
a technology diploma and those of an engineering degree
will be assigned a SEP. This program may consist of up to
18 examinations and would include basic, technical and
complementary examinations plus an engineering thesis.
Basic Studies examinations are a prerequisite and must be
addressed first."

My question would be has anyone gone through this path? What was the process like? How many exams you had to write (total)? How many exams should I write per year? any tips in general?

Thank you
11 replies
Mar 6, 2010
718 posts
79 upvotes
I do not think PEO will award anyone P.Eng with college diploma only. You need an undergraduate degree to start the application. The exams are called for foreign degree holder that did not graduate from a CEAB accredited program. You can go with the P.Tech route which can also seal certain drawings I believe.
[OP]
May 13, 2018
3 posts
It is definitely possible. As long as its a 3 year Technology diploma (technologist).
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28850 posts
2098 upvotes
Winnipeg
let us know how it goes
Jul 15, 2009
159 posts
60 upvotes
Edmonton
conq26 wrote:
May 14th, 2018 1:26 pm
It is definitely possible. As long as its a 3 year Technology diploma (technologist).
Don't waste your time on this. PEO will not grant you P.Eng based on college diploma. The minimum level requirement is for foreign educated applicant who possess exceptional level of specific experience that PEO may deem equivalent to a formal education level. The hassles of trying to challenge the bachelor degree requirement is probably more difficult than going through the bachelor program itself.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22231 posts
8871 upvotes
Ottawa
benjuotterly wrote:
May 14th, 2018 2:33 pm
Don't waste your time on this. PEO will not grant you P.Eng based on college diploma. The minimum level requirement is for foreign educated applicant who possess exceptional level of specific experience that PEO may deem equivalent to a formal education level. The hassles of trying to challenge the bachelor degree requirement is probably more difficult than going through the bachelor program itself.
+1
Mar 6, 2010
718 posts
79 upvotes
benjuotterly wrote:
May 14th, 2018 2:33 pm
This is not necessarily true. You just need 4 years experience with one year Canadian experience to apply for P.Eng. If you got questioned for foreign engineering degree, you can just do the FE exam with 100 multiple choice questions which is super easy.
Jul 15, 2009
159 posts
60 upvotes
Edmonton
hermit1988 wrote:
May 15th, 2018 1:50 pm
This is not necessarily true. You just need 4 years experience with one year Canadian experience to apply for P.Eng. If you got questioned for foreign engineering degree, you can just do the FE exam with 100 multiple choice questions which is super easy.
But OP only has a college diploma, not a foreign degree. And in regard to the years of experience, it is important to note that PEO are not talkiong about working experience but engineering experience, meaning the applicant must justify (in writing or during interview) their experience in the application of engineering theories, principles, industry practices, and ethics. In fact, many domestic applicants had to jump through lots of hoops and long delays because they couldn't justify or clearly explain their engineering experience.

Typically, if the review committee have concern regarding the foreign degree, the applicant will be sent to those exams as you've mentioned. But if the committee have doubts about the applicants have training on the subjects, then they'll ask the applicant to complete a whole list of courses and pass the exams. I've seen applicant received a list of courses that's almost 2/3 of a complete degree cirriculum. That's why it is typically not worth the time, cost and hassles if the applicant does not possess the typical requirements (engineering degree).
[OP]
May 13, 2018
3 posts
Thanks for the replies. I do not have issues with the number of exams. I would gladly write them all. I just cannot do full time studies due to work and family.

In regards to experience, that only comes after the exams. The 4 years of experience has to be done after you have passed your exams and only 12 months have to be done with a licenced Peng
Sep 9, 2008
562 posts
106 upvotes
Mississauga
Did you end up writing any of the exams?
Nov 22, 2017
88 posts
28 upvotes
conq26 wrote:
May 15th, 2018 9:36 pm
Thanks for the replies. I do not have issues with the number of exams. I would gladly write them all. I just cannot do full time studies due to work and family.

In regards to experience, that only comes after the exams. The 4 years of experience has to be done after you have passed your exams and only 12 months have to be done with a licenced Peng
Except that the exams are a lot harder to study and prepare for compared to sitting in class and taking courses. Do you have time to study daily after work? Family life takes its toll, I doubt you will finish 20 exams in 4 years.
Jun 15, 2009
673 posts
149 upvotes
conq26 wrote:
May 15th, 2018 9:36 pm

4 years can be done whenever and completely does not depend on the exams. Either the P.Eng exams or the equivalency exams if you need any

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)