PEO Review Time

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2017 11:34 am
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1698 posts
232 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Just got my reply today. They have given me a 'Specific Examination Program', with a total of 5 exams + Engineering Report.

Some of the exams I have been asked to take are very similar to courses in my undergrad, am I able to ask them to recheck and highlight the particular Courses?

Just for background: I graduated from the Bachelor of Technology program at McMaster, which is not CEAB credited.

Gonna have to shell out $1600 to do these exams! Great! Anyone gone through this process before?
Nov 6, 2010
427 posts
51 upvotes
Seattle/Ottawa
Okay, I'm finally ready to share my timeline.
It has been a long tiring process that finally seemed to have worked out in my favor.

2011 - Graduated from CEAB accredited Electrical Engineering Program
2012 - Wrote PPE and passed
2014 - Submitted Pre Grad form
Apr 17, 2015 - Submitted experience record - 12 pages in length describing in detail Industrial Engineering work experience
May 1, 2015 - Submitted for experience review and all 5 references submitted (3 P.Eng and 2 Non P.Eng)
July 7, 2015 - Asked for additional clarification on experience mismatch on how I bridged the gap between academic discipline and reported work experience (Graduated from Electrical engineering, worked as an Industrial engineer)
July 8, 2015 - Submitted required information - I compared my undergrad courses in Electrical to a CEAB accredited Manufacturing Eng. Program and highlighted the gaps. Then I talked about how I overcame the gap using supplemental on the job training and experiences.
July 8, 2015 - File was submitted for an ERC interview
September 11, 2015 - ERC interview was scheduled. Really uncomfortable experience throughout. Basically had 45 minutes to go through 4 years of work experience. One interviewer was thoroughly familiar with my file and the second one had not read a single word. The questions asked were more like interrogation rather than an interview. I left feeling a 50/50 chance as the guy who had not read my file was a poor communicator had asked tons of poorly worded theoretical questions. Thoroughly disappointed. I felt this is the most subjective part of the evaluation process and entirely depends on the mood/luck/quality of the interviewers.
October 16, 2015 - I was informed my P.Eng was approved. The file was approved at 2 PM and at 2:15 pm I was able to pay the dues online.
October 19, 2015 - 3 days later after payment the directory is updated to reflect the P.Eng status. I will probably receive the approval letter later this week.

Been the hardest, longest most exhaustive process so far professionally for me.
Thankfully, It worked out.

My advice - don't lose Hope. Being invited to an interview ERC does not mean that they are planning to reject you (although it comes close). Just go in, do your best and trust the process (said with Caution because I truly believe the ERC process is highly subjective and subject to personal biases - not everbody gets lucky)

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their contribution. The process is still fresh in my mind so let me know if you have any questions.
Mar 18, 2010
17 posts
6 upvotes
Lucky0810 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 8:27 pm
It has been a long tiring process that finally seemed to have worked out in my favor.

Apr 17, 2015 - Submitted experience record - 12 pages in length describing in detail Industrial Engineering work experience
May 1, 2015 - Submitted for experience review and all 5 references submitted (3 P.Eng and 2 Non P.Eng)
July 7, 2015 - Asked for additional clarification on experience mismatch on how I bridged the gap between academic discipline and reported work experience (Graduated from Electrical engineering, worked as an Industrial engineer)
July 8, 2015 - Submitted required information - I compared my undergrad courses in Electrical to a CEAB accredited Manufacturing Eng. Program and highlighted the gaps. Then I talked about how I overcame the gap using supplemental on the job training and experiences.
September 11, 2015 - ERC interview was scheduled. Really uncomfortable experience throughout. Basically had 45 minutes to go through 4 years of work experience. One interviewer was thoroughly familiar with my file and the second one had not read a single word. The questions asked were more like interrogation rather than an interview. I left feeling a 50/50 chance as the guy who had not read my file was a poor communicator had asked tons of poorly worded theoretical questions. Thoroughly disappointed. I felt this is the most subjective part of the evaluation process and entirely depends on the mood/luck/quality of the interviewers.
October 16, 2015 - I was informed my P.Eng was approved. The file was approved at 2 PM and at 2:15 pm I was able to pay the dues online.
October 19, 2015 - 3 days later after payment the directory is updated to reflect the P.Eng status. I will probably receive the approval letter later this week.

My advice - don't lose Hope. Being invited to an interview ERC does not mean that they are planning to reject you (although it comes close). Just go in, do your best and trust the process (said with Caution because I truly believe the ERC process is highly subjective and subject to personal biases - not everbody gets lucky)

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their contribution. The process is still fresh in my mind so let me know if you have any questions.
Congratulations to you! It does feel good.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5236 posts
1102 upvotes
Lucky0810 wrote:

No but they walk in ready to reject you unless you show them otherwise. I got raped at my ERC interview. Like you said, it was an onslaught of interrogative questions. Worst part is they have the entire thing in HD video in my file. Most humiliating event of my career (and possibly life). It also doesn't help it took my damn superiors 8 months to fill out those review forms. 10 months total to get raped.
Jan 18, 2008
445 posts
27 upvotes
I work at the same company, but moved into a different role. Should I split the two roles I was in into two separate experience records with their own 5 key topics (application of theory...etc)? I've only been in the new role for a few months.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16543 posts
1603 upvotes
GTA West
lcdps3 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2015 7:01 pm
I work at the same company, but moved into a different role. Should I split the two roles I was in into two separate experience records with their own 5 key topics (application of theory...etc)? I've only been in the new role for a few months.
There is no hard & fast rule on this. But my recommendation is that you should split it. Just add 1 sentence clarifying the reasons for the split. (It's to keep focus and clarity with respect to the requirement criteria, so add to make things easier for the reader.)
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Jul 24, 2010
381 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
Timeline:

Oct 23 - submit experience record by email
Oct 27 - forms sent to references by email
Nov 6 - follow up with references, find out one didn't get the form
Nov 9 - form resent
Nov 12 - all references received, application sent for final review
Dec 21 - receive approval letter from PEO in the mail (letter says approved Dec 16).
Jul 24, 2010
381 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
mbk.2k3 wrote:
May 26th, 2014 9:40 pm
PEO expects a reference for every stretch of work you've done.
in my case, i worked four years at one company, but on my experience record i broke my four years into several projects over the course of that time.
PEO wanted a reference for each period/breakdown to verify that my experience was legit. in my case, four years = three projects = three references, all P.Engs.
I might have got lucky, but I didn't use any references from my first (of two) jobs, and just got approved. On the other hand, all of my references were P.Engs anyway.
Jan 27, 2012
40 posts
2 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
beaverdonut wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2015 6:50 am
Timeline:

Oct 23 - submit experience record by email
Oct 27 - forms sent to references by email
Nov 6 - follow up with references, find out one didn't get the form
Nov 9 - form resent
Nov 12 - all references received, application sent for final review
Dec 21 - receive approval letter from PEO in the mail (letter says approved Dec 16).
That's a pretty sooth timeline. Congratulations!

Anybody else got approved recently?
Jul 24, 2010
381 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
ballboy168 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2015 11:45 am
That's a pretty sooth timeline. Congratulations!

Anybody else got approved recently?
Thanks!

A co-worker recently got theirs done in 6 weeks start to finish. Looks like things are moving along at a reasonable pace at PEO these days.
Jan 27, 2012
40 posts
2 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
beaverdonut wrote:
Dec 29th, 2015 6:31 pm
Thanks!

A co-worker recently got theirs done in 6 weeks start to finish. Looks like things are moving along at a reasonable pace at PEO these days.
That sounds incredible that PEO is finally doing some great work :P

Mind to share what discipline are you in? Do you work in big well known company? Only post-graduate experience? Did you get your experience record reviewed by the EIT committee first?

Jul 24, 2010
381 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
ballboy168 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2015 10:57 am
That sounds incredible that PEO is finally doing some great work :P

Mind to share what discipline are you in? Do you work in big well known company? Only post-graduate experience? Did you get your experience record reviewed by the EIT committee first?

I'm in mechanical. It's a mid-size company that isn't well known outside it's own industry or to the general public. I submitted 8 months pregrad and 3.5 years after grad experience together. No EIT experience reviews or anything before now.
Mar 9, 2016
1 posts
1 upvote
2008 -Arrived in Canada 2008
March 2011 - Applied for EIT 2011 also submitted Experience based on 3 years in Canada and 5 years in India
Nov 2011 ARC interview scheduled
Dec 2011 - Failed the interview (Did not go prepared) Assigned 3 Exams
Sep 2013 – Passed technical exams
Dec 2013 – Passed PPE Exams
Feb 2014 – Sent experience for Review to PEO with 3 references
May 2014 – Received letter from PEO that references not familiar with work experience to provide more references
December 2015 – Provided additional reference (had to wait since I did not have any more Peng References)
February 2016 – Received P ENG (Mechanical Engineer – Pump Design )
Apr 10, 2016
6 posts
1 upvote
Lucky0810 wrote:

Did they let you know immediately after you submitted the extra information that it was being sent for an ERC interview? I recently got asked to submit additional information (two months after I initially submitted my Experience Record).
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel