Careers

PEO Review Time

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 8:10 pm
Mar 3, 2016
53 posts
3 upvotes
Dear Friends.

Hello. I am in the process of compiling documents to apply for P.Eng. I possess an undergraduate Mechanical Engineering Degree from Pakistan. I have around 15 years of backhome experience as well. Just want to know how my experience summary that i have to submit with application should look like, should it be just a resume, or elaborated version of resume or on an appropriate form which is available on PEO web site and wants us to split our experience under five headings mentioned there. Sometime i wonder if that particular form needs to be submitted once my academic evaluation is done and i am through to PPE. Please suggest as calling PEO i get different responses, sometime they say submit resume and PEO will ask if they need anything extra from you but the email they sent says that submit experience as dictated in the guide !!

Thanks
Apr 10, 2016
6 posts
1 upvote
ycanada wrote:
Apr 18th, 2016 6:31 pm
Dear Friends.

Hello. I am in the process of compiling documents to apply for P.Eng. I possess an undergraduate Mechanical Engineering Degree from Pakistan. I have around 15 years of backhome experience as well. Just want to know how my experience summary that i have to submit with application should look like, should it be just a resume, or elaborated version of resume or on an appropriate form which is available on PEO web site and wants us to split our experience under five headings mentioned there. Sometime i wonder if that particular form needs to be submitted once my academic evaluation is done and i am through to PPE. Please suggest as calling PEO i get different responses, sometime they say submit resume and PEO will ask if they need anything extra from you but the email they sent says that submit experience as dictated in the guide !!

Thanks
You will need at least 1 year of Canadian experience working under a P.Eng. The website has a good guide as to how you should go about writing your Experience Record. It's called "Guide to the Required Experience for Licensing as a Professional Engineer in Ontario". Also, there's a Word document that has the headings. Split up your experience based on what the heading says, it makes it easier that way.

From what I gather, they want to see the Experience Record written in such a way that shows WHAT you did, HOW you did it and WHY you did it. I think it's best to use very simple, right to the point paragraphs. Also, use "I" as opposed to "We".

Some others may have more information as to what they went through having a degree from another country.
Mar 3, 2016
53 posts
3 upvotes
dayowl wrote:
Apr 19th, 2016 9:49 am
You will need at least 1 year of Canadian experience working under a P.Eng. The website has a good guide as to how you should go about writing your Experience Record. It's called "Guide to the Required Experience for Licensing as a Professional Engineer in Ontario". Also, there's a Word document that has the headings. Split up your experience based on what the heading says, it makes it easier that way.

From what I gather, they want to see the Experience Record written in such a way that shows WHAT you did, HOW you did it and WHY you did it. I think it's best to use very simple, right to the point paragraphs. Also, use "I" as opposed to "We".

Some others may have more information as to what they went through having a degree from another country.
Hi dayowl.

Thanks for the input. I guess we dont submit that one year required experience at this stage, i mean when you are just submitting your application for academic review. I want to know how i should put my experience at this initial stage, just a resume or .... !!
Apr 10, 2016
6 posts
1 upvote
I suggest calling the individual listed in that link. Best bet is to keep calling/emailing until you get a clear answer. Beware though, I have a bunch of friends who have gone through processes at PEO and no two are ever the same.
Mar 3, 2016
53 posts
3 upvotes
dayowl wrote:
Apr 21st, 2016 8:20 am
I suggest calling the individual listed in that link. Best bet is to keep calling/emailing until you get a clear answer. Beware though, I have a bunch of friends who have gone through processes at PEO and no two are ever the same.
You are right, but still i think procedures should be clearly spelled out. I went to PEO's office yesterday and talked to two individuals, both gave a different reply. One was a P.Eng who said at this stage we will focus more on your academics, once you are found equivalent to CEAB, will ask to write PPE. And after that will come the stage of experience evaluation. But i am not convinced yet.
Apr 10, 2016
6 posts
1 upvote
ycanada wrote:
Apr 21st, 2016 11:55 am
You are right, but still i think procedures should be clearly spelled out. I went to PEO's office yesterday and talked to two individuals, both gave a different reply. One was a P.Eng who said at this stage we will focus more on your academics, once you are found equivalent to CEAB, will ask to write PPE. And after that will come the stage of experience evaluation. But i am not convinced yet.
Spoiler alert - you are NEVER convinced no matter what response you get.

That is because it seems there is no clear cut protocol in place. Everyone has a different way to explain things and process things. Case in point - I clearly read that home addresses OR email addresses for referees were to be provided. When I sent in the email addresses, I was told that was not acceptable and must provide mailing addresses. Had friends who provided email addresses, no problem. Therefore, assuming that my admission rep wanted things submitted by snail mail, I sent in my Experience Record that way. Turns out it got lost in the mix and when I inquired about it two months later, they could not find it as they were expecting it by email.

Lots and lots and LOTS of experiences out there which clearly show that there is no fast and hard rule about how to go about applying. If I were you I would get the email of the P.Eng you spoke to, send them an email reiterating what they told you, and how you plan to proceed. Having said that though, it would make sense that education is required to be verified first. That's always the case, even for graduates of Canadian universities. They have to verify transcripts.
May 23, 2016
5 posts
Did anyone get approved recently ? I was advised on April 28 that my file was being completed for final review after they had heard back from all referees. I am getting a bit restless now.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16648 posts
1674 upvotes
GTA West
sarsha01 wrote:
May 24th, 2016 2:25 pm
Did anyone get approved recently ? I was advised on April 28 that my file was being completed for final review after they had heard back from all referees. I am getting a bit restless now.
No, but I recently received an e-mail indicating that they are hiring for a new Manager of License registration... :confused:
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Jun 2, 2016
2 posts
Hi guys,

Any body knows how much time will it take to transfer P.Eng membership from APEGA to PEO ?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1091 posts
332 upvotes
Rb1212 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2016 11:22 pm
Hi guys,

Any body knows how much time will it take to transfer P.Eng membership from APEGA to PEO ?
I guess everyone is moving back to Ontario. Gravy train ended :-0

I did mine, took like 3 months for transfer.
Jun 2, 2016
2 posts
Thanks ironbrah,

Did you transfer your P.Eng recently?
PEO told me it will take 6 weeks to transfer ....
ironbrah wrote:
Jun 7th, 2016 8:01 am
I guess everyone is moving back to Ontario. Gravy train ended :-0

I did mine, took like 3 months for transfer.
May 22, 2011
125 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 31st, 2014 8:17 pm
Let me add my own experience to the voices in this thread...

I confirmed with the PEO that they had received my experience record and all reference forms in late 2013. The response was that it would take 10-16 weeks to complete the review.

I finally received the letter confirming that it was accepted at the end of the 16th week, BUT:
- Based on the approval date, it took a week to arrive in the mail.
- Take off another 2 weeks for Christmas.

So it's more like the whole review process took 13 weeks for me + another 1 week after that to receive confirmation.

Advice for Others Going Though the PEO Experience Review Process:

- Be really nice and polite to your admissions representative. I found that e-mails with a neutral tone might be responded to in 4-7 business days, but if I was extremely pleasant, grateful and nice in my tone, they responded in like 15 minutes. I guess this exposes the monotonous and thankless nature of their job.

- For the experience record, really focus on being to-the-point, less is more, and really align your information with all of the sub-criteria they give you. Make it easy for them to figure out that you have what it takes. Don't write a story where they have to pick up pieces all over the place. Don't make them hunt for information to line up to their criteria.

- Experience record length: I was told by one of the Experience Evaluators that most experience records should be 7-15 pages. From other information I've gathered, even going over 10 pages is pushing it. As I mentioned earlier, less is more. You don't need to go into the gory details of what you did, unless maybe you have only 1-2 major projects in your experience and you need to elaborate on those in more detail. I spent quite a lot of time compressing mine down and really putting in only the information that aligns with the experience criteria, as I had worked on a wide variety of smaller projects rather than a small number of big projects. This took a lot of effort but I think it paid off.

- Make sure that you write your experiences in the first person.
RIGHT: "I applied the methods for performing ABC analysis process that I had learned in school, and based on the results, I found that conditions D, E and F were present. Considering the data, I made recommendations to management for how the design could be altered to improve X, Y and Z."
WRONG: "The ABC analysis method was performed and showed that D, E and F were present, resulting in recommendations to improve the design in terms of X, Y and Z."

- For submitting the experience record, I made a PDF and sent to my Admissions rep.

- For the reference forms, make sure you are aware of the details of the company's internal mail system (if any) before sending referee's addresses to the PEO. Do this to ensure you send the RIGHT address information the first time around, as this is hard to correct later. I was working at a large plant at the time, and personally went walking around every day to numerous mail stops around the building. Eventually I found one guy's reference paperwork in some random mailbox, not even on the same floor where he works. I hand-delivered. Also, I kept postage-stamps in my bag and gave them to the referees as soon as they received the surveys. This certainly expedited the process.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I really can't find this information anywhere else. When you say 10 pages, is that 10 pages per year of experience or for all 4 years?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel