Careers

PEO Review Time

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 11:01 am
Jun 26, 2017
15 posts
10 upvotes
This is not giving me a lot of hope.

I'm wondering if anyone is planning on lodging an official complaint about this process? I work with someone who volunteers a bit with PEO and that was his suggestion (after your application has gone through...obvs).

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but there is actually legislation in Ontario regarding the application processes for professional organizations. One of the rights it is supposed to guarantee applicants is that applications are reviewed in a timely manner (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/06f31#BK10). I'm not sure that there is much recourse if your professional organization does not appear to be complying with this, but it definitely gives us the right to send in a complaint and put some pressure on them. Cuz this is getting ridiculous and it seems to only be getting worse.

More info here: http://www.fairnesscommissioner.ca/index_en.php
May 11, 2009
488 posts
122 upvotes
SirWallington wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 10:05 am
This is not giving me a lot of hope.

I'm wondering if anyone is planning on lodging an official complaint about this process? I work with someone who volunteers a bit with PEO and that was his suggestion (after your application has gone through...obvs).

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but there is actually legislation in Ontario regarding the application processes for professional organizations. One of the rights it is supposed to guarantee applicants is that applications are reviewed in a timely manner (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/06f31#BK10). I'm not sure that there is much recourse if your professional organization does not appear to be complying with this, but it definitely gives us the right to send in a complaint and put some pressure on them. Cuz this is getting ridiculous and it seems to only be getting worse.

More info here: http://www.fairnesscommissioner.ca/index_en.php
I understand where you're coming from but in this instance I don't think it's worth it. All you'll be doing is investing more of your time to push an organization that is very obviously overwhelmed already. We just need to sit back, relax and wait unfortunately :(
Jul 9, 2017
7 posts
8 upvotes
Unfortunately you're correct. Not much we can do when the issue is lack of resources, not incompetence.

I just got an email asking for more information. 22 weeks today. Looks like I will be waiting a while longer yet.
Jul 14, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
Justinvb - What did they ask? Which Information
May 11, 2009
488 posts
122 upvotes
Ridiculous. I just got asked for more information as well. Spent a good deal of time on that as well. Very disappointed.

Edit: Just spoke to the rep and I honestly think it's a stall tactic. Everything he wanted is already there. Just mentioned to expand on my current role. I wrote five pages for my current role. He said I missed the July cut off date by 1 week. Said next sitting is August 21 FYI.
Jul 9, 2017
7 posts
8 upvotes
Good to know. thanks @Ohmare_Q .

@OHMCAN Just asked for expanded information about my role and specific examples of how I affected the outcome of the solution.
Jul 14, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
justinvb wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 9:35 am
Good to know. thanks @Ohmare_Q .

@OHMCAN Just asked for expanded information about my role and specific examples of how I affected the outcome of the solution.
Hi Justinb - Thanks for update - can you please send me your phone no on ohmcanada@gmail.com - i would like to talk regarding PEO query
May 9, 2017
11 posts
7 upvotes
Just found that I received PEng registration fee in my PEO portal. Actually when I search myself in the PEO directory with my EIT number it shows no result. I guess they are updating the system.

Timeline:
Mid December 2016 submitted the completed application (with reference letter etc.)
Mid April (approx. 17 weeks) asked for update and was told it tool longer
May 31 received email from PEO and was asked for further documents (detailed engineering activities description)
June 30 sent the document to PEO and was told that I would possibly receive result and mail by the end of July
July 24 PEO portal updated and received P Eng registration fee

Good luck everyone!
May 11, 2009
488 posts
122 upvotes
Just sent over more project information. The rep says I should hear back in August after a second review of my experience. Gotta keep waiting for now.
Jul 23, 2017
1 posts
2 upvotes
I just paid my registration fee as well! I've been following this thread for a couple of months to guess when mine would be approved. My application was forwarded for final review on January 27th and I didn't have to submit any additional information. So it looks like a minimum of 25 weeks for an application now Astonished Face. Oh well, I'm just glad mine is finally approved. Hopefully other are getting approved today as well.
Jul 9, 2017
7 posts
8 upvotes
Notice that it's just a contract position though. Must be having some issues with people being off or something. Means this delay likely is not typical (which makes sense with the constantly changing review wait time they are telling applicants).
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16965 posts
1855 upvotes
GTA West
justinvb wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 7:47 am
Notice that it's just a contract position though. Must be having some issues with people being off or something. Means this delay likely is not typical (which makes sense with the constantly changing review wait time they are telling applicants).
I wouldn't get my hopes up. There's been numerous postings like this over the years.

It must be quite a tedious job to review people's applications and experience records. I feel sympathetic toward the people who do it. Perhaps they made it a contract position only because it's like a revolving door anyway.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Jun 26, 2017
15 posts
10 upvotes
Yeah one of the P.Engs in my office asked about the delay and actually got a full explanation. It is not a typical delay, they started having staffing issues last fall/winter sometime and up until then they were meeting their 6-10 week target for reviewing applications. I think one staff member was injured and was off for a while and then was only able to come back part time, and then another one got sick around the same time and ended up needing to be off long term (or something like that) and that's when the backlog started. They hired a contract person in March, but it doesn't seem like that has done much to make a dent in the waiting time. I'm hoping this is an additional resource and not a replacement for someone else leaving so that maybe they can actually get caught up.
May 11, 2009
488 posts
122 upvotes
Just paid my fees online boys!

Timeline:

Jan 29th - sent experience forms and referees
Feb 16th - all referee forms received back, sent for final approval
July19th - asked for more info on current position
July 24th - Sent extra info
Aug 11 fees showed up online

Good luck everyone! I really hope no one has to wait as long as I did.