Careers

PEO Licensing Process Discussion Thread

Jul 28, 2020
8 posts
3 upvotes
IrishEng wrote: This thread is a goldmine! Thanks to everyone who have posted their timelines and correspondence. I was going mad until I read about everyone else’s experiences.

I’m still waiting on a response from PEO but my timeline so far is:

Submitted my 3 documents: May 01
Referee forms completed: May 27
Application forwarded to Licensure for experience assessment.: June 09
Field: Civil Engineering
Hi, I have a similar timeline with you with the Application forwarded to Licensure for experience assessment.: June 05, 2020. I have not received any progress on that, how about you?
Sep 3, 2020
1 posts
Anyone here who was licensed early this year or late last year and opted to pick up their certificate during the ceremony? I’m wondering if the ceremony is going to be postponed or cancelled this year. I was really looking forward to the ceremony this summer :(
May 15, 2019
21 posts
14 upvotes
Same as dogaminator, I'd like to use the format created by xPluto to share my application timeline.

Application Information:

Discipline - Mechanical Engineering
Location - Ottawa, ON
Referees - four, one holds a P. Eng
Experience - 5 years of experience in Ontario

Application Timeline:

April 02, 2019 - Submitted my application to PEO. And my case was forwarded to ARC for academic review (since my bachelor's degree was not from an accredited engineering program at a Canadian university).
May 15, 2019 - Academic Requirements Committee (ARC) has assigned a Directed-Confirmatory Examination Program in Mechanical Engineering (I only had 4 years of working experience at the time of my application so I was not given the option to attend an ERC interview). I requested a 2nd academic review hoping that they could waive those technical exams cuz I hold a Masters degree (from a Canadian university) under the same discipline. PEO will need official course descriptions sent to them directly from the university in order to do another review.
June 12, 2019 - Official course descriptions sent to PEO.
August 12, 2019 - ARC finished the 2nd academic review and has assigned a Specific Exam Program (SEP) which does not count engineering experience till the program is done. Went with the 1st academic review option (D-CEP; 4 exams in total).
December 9, 2019 & December 13, 2019 - Wrote 2 technical exams.
Feb. 21, 2020 - Results received for the technical exams and the other 2 exams were waived.
Feb. 25, 2020 - Registered PPE for March 2020 sitting which was later on cancelled.
June 10, 2020 - Wrote NPPE Exam.
July 3, 2020 - Received NPPE Result.
July 7, 2020 - Submitted all related documents for experience review via email.
July 20, 2020 - Questionnaires sent to referees by PEO.
August 6, 2020 - All referees submitted their responses.
September 7, 2020 - Still waiting.

Hope this will help you a bit.
Aug 25, 2020
5 posts
6 upvotes
anthonyzhao012499533 wrote: Hi, I am in Civil discipline as well. I receive the notification that my experience record was under review on June 5, 2020. I have not heard anything nor fee posted.
I emailed PEO today as I hadn’t heard anything in +10 weeks and they just got back to me to say my application has been sent for final approval by the registrar. Hopefully means I’ll be in the next batch at the end of September (fingers crossed)!
Jul 28, 2020
8 posts
3 upvotes
IrishEng wrote: I emailed PEO today as I hadn’t heard anything in +10 weeks and they just got back to me to say my application has been sent for final approval by the registrar. Hopefully means I’ll be in the next batch at the end of September (fingers crossed)!
Congratulations to you in advance! Did you contact your representative or did you submit on the general contact page on the PEO website? I tried the later one, and there is no response for two days.
Aug 25, 2020
5 posts
6 upvotes
anthonyzhao012499533 wrote: Congratulations to you in advance! Did you contact your representative or did you submit on the general contact page on the PEO website? I tried the later one, and there is no response for two days.
It was through my representative. As it had been over 10 weeks since I last heard from PEO I felt it was appropriate to contact them directly.
Sep 9, 2020
3 posts
3 upvotes
Current app status for me:

- Submitted docs on: June 24, 2020
- Referees submitted questionnaires on: July 7, 2020
- Forwarded to Licensure: July 21, 2020

Hoping fees get posted this month...
Sep 9, 2020
1 posts
Hi. I want to apply for P.Eng. Is it possible to send experience record later on, or should be sent upon registering?
I have 4.5 years of experience outside of Canada and Know the chances of getting my license any soon is pretty narrow. just need to be in EIT program.
May 15, 2019
21 posts
14 upvotes
AmirN8054 wrote: Hi. I want to apply for P.Eng. Is it possible to send experience record later on, or should be sent upon registering?
I have 4.5 years of experience outside of Canada and Know the chances of getting my license any soon is pretty narrow. just need to be in EIT program.
Hi, you might want to submit your application first (please refer to Non-CEAB checklist or CEAB checklist whichever applies to you).
You don't have to worry about experience record utill your academic review and NPPE exam are done.

Hope this helps.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
AmirN8054 wrote: Hi. I want to apply for P.Eng. Is it possible to send experience record later on, or should be sent upon registering?
While it's true you can wait until later to submit your experience record, from a practical standpoint it's better to do it ASAP:
1. If you wait, you might not remember all the details, and frankly it's a PITA to write all this stuff.
2. You may need former supervisors for references, and it will be increasingly difficult to get that done, after time passes and maybe they have other jobs or have moved on.

For me at least, the experience record was the biggest hurdle for sure! It's wiser to get it over and done with IMO.
- casual gastronomist -
Jan 22, 2019
21 posts
4 upvotes
MikeAngeloBatio wrote: Current app status for me:

- Submitted docs on: June 24, 2020
- Referees submitted questionnaires on: July 7, 2020
- Forwarded to Licensure: July 21, 2020

Hoping fees get posted this month...
Congrats ,, and good luck . that's perfect time just one month .
Jul 28, 2020
8 posts
3 upvotes
IrishEng wrote: It was through my representative. As it had been over 10 weeks since I last heard from PEO I felt it was appropriate to contact them directly.
Thank you. I have to say you are lucky that your representative would like to provide your status. I got the response that due to Covid19, the processing time is slower and there is no status on licensing. Anyway, I think there isn't anything I can do other than waiting and thank you again for sharing your status.
Sep 9, 2020
3 posts
3 upvotes
That's a shame.. Alike to @IrishEng , I also emailed PEO for a status update. Discovered review has been completed, and file has been sent to registrar for final review. PEO stated licenses are issued once a month, I should learn about the outcome by the end of September.

Hoping all goes well for you, and that you're able to get your's this month!
Sep 16, 2020
2 posts
3 upvotes
I applied P.Eng under materials engineering stream. Below is my timeline. Hope it helps people who are still waiting.

June 29 Submitted experience record summary and referee list
July 14 all 3 referees answered the questionnaires
Aug 9 confirmation that my application has been forwarded to licensure department for experience assessment

Now I’m waiting for my experience review result. They originally told me that before Covid, the process takes 10 weeks, but due to Covid, they couldn’t tell me a timeline of the process. I’m hopping to hear back from them about my experience review in Oct. fingers crossed!
Jul 27, 2020
5 posts
3 upvotes
What does it mean when they ask you to give them a call about your file? After 3 months into experience review.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
laserbeam94 wrote: What does it mean when they ask you to give them a call about your file? After 3 months into experience review.
Never heard of this one.
I'm interested to know what comes of it!
Sep 20, 2020
14 posts
7 upvotes
Hello All,

Would anyone happen to know if, when applying for P. Eng, all of your work experiences have to be at least 1 year long? And, if you need to have at least 2 P. Eng references for each submitted work experience? What if, for a particular work experience, your supervisor is a P. Eng, but your other references are not?

Thanks
Aug 16, 2020
9 posts
9 upvotes
Only one of your referees needs to be a P.Eng. Your work experience at each job does not need to be at least 1 year long - it can be only a few months. I just needs to be "acceptable, verifiable engineering" work experience. I would recommend that you provide at least 1 referee from each job you've had. You need a minimum of 3 referees. Only 1 of the referees needs to be a P.Eng.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Dood25 wrote: Would anyone happen to know if, when applying for P. Eng, all of your work experiences have to be at least 1 year long? And, if you need to have at least 2 P. Eng references for each submitted work experience? What if, for a particular work experience, your supervisor is a P. Eng, but your other references are not?
No and no.
Length - I had some co-op positions that were only 4 months long and they were accepted.
And for some of my jobs, I had only 0 or 1 PEng references. You do not need 2 PEng references every time.

Though let's say that the majority of your work did not have at least 1 PEng supervisor, you might have some problems.
- casual gastronomist -
Aug 19, 2019
10 posts
1 upvote
It’s been already 3 months since i submitted my application and to this day they have not responded to my email when I tried to find out what is the status of my experience review.

This is frustrating.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)