Cell Phones

People buying blacklisted samsung/iphones?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 11:10 pm
21 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1933 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
YYZviaYUL wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:20 pm
Sending it abroad. The Blacklist only affects North American carriers right now.
What about people that are buying blacklisted phones from abroad? Are they sending it over here to North America?
Aug 8, 2014
440 posts
75 upvotes
Markham, ON
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:22 pm
What about people that are buying blacklisted phones from abroad? Are they sending it over here to North America?
I've not heard about that. I'll have to look into it. Perhaps, they are sending it to NA.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25382 posts
2748 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I think the black list is unique to North America. I doubt they black list phones anywhere else. Most of the world is on prepaid.
Dec 6, 2007
800 posts
18 upvotes
To change the IMEI and resell it.
I bought an S7 on eBay and I checked the IMEI...it belonged to some low end burner Samsung phone. Ended up returning it...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1933 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
zivan56 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:20 am
To change the IMEI and resell it.
I bought an S7 on eBay and I checked the IMEI...it belonged to some low end burner Samsung phone. Ended up returning it...
If IMEI has been changed, can it still be used?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3400 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
most of them just send it overseas.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Dec 6, 2008
311 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:43 pm
If IMEI has been changed, can it still be used?
yep, which is why you change it but if the new IMEI gets blacklisted then you're SOL
i got 99 problems but PM'ing ain't one ;)
Dec 6, 2008
311 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond
hvwozq wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:24 pm
:facepalm: Just change it again.
:facepalm: unless you're doing the work yourself you'd have to pay again to clone a new IMEI so yeah: SOL...
i got 99 problems but PM'ing ain't one ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3612 posts
603 upvotes
Brampton ON
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:18 pm
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/city ... nFlag=true

Does anyone here know what this is about? Why would anyone buy phones that are already blacklisted?
Yes I will buy if the price is right. Those blacklisted phone easily can sell outside North America.
As-salamu alaykum
Freedom Mobile $21 10gb
BYOP ( Plan * 24months + Phone )
Contract ( Plan * 24months - Phone - GC )

Nov 29, 2013
72 posts
31 upvotes
They're also useful to part out. It's cheaper in some cases to buy a working phone with a blacklisted IMEI, do a motherboard swap with a broken screen phone of the same model, then sell the phone with a replaced motherboard.

On the blacklist: It's distinctly North American. Sending the phones to Asia would circumvent the ban.
Please give me a thumbs up if my answer helps!
Sell me your old phones! I like to tinker!

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, Motorola G 3rd Gen, Huawei P9+
Current Plan: 8GB Koodo Promo Plan for $56
May 8, 2009
1696 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
I'm surprised other NATO countries such as Europe have not joined the blacklist program.

Aside sending the phone overseas, it can be an inexpensive way to try out the phone (maybe a startup would like lower entry costs to review phones without getting them from carrier at the expense of their credit rating), maybe you have really good wifi only use for a flagship phone. Maybe it's for your own use on overseas trips as a burner travel phone.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1933 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
crayonhead wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:25 am
They're also useful to part out. It's cheaper in some cases to buy a working phone with a blacklisted IMEI, do a motherboard swap with a broken screen phone of the same model, then sell the phone with a replaced motherboard.

On the blacklist: It's distinctly North American. Sending the phones to Asia would circumvent the ban.
If I buy a blacklisted phone from Asia, do you think it will work here in North America? Winking FaceWinking Face