• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 3:06 am
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
830 posts
259 upvotes
Scarborough

People crushed to death by donation boxes

What is so important in the donation boxes that they have to reinforce with big metal bars to prevent theft? Surely they can disable the locks so people won't be crushed, and make the slot a decent size so people can't crawl inside to sleep. I say that they should have a front or side door that can be opened so the poor homeless can find themselves a warm jacket or an old pair of pants to keep them warm. The stores that are supposed to be non-profit, some of them are actually for profit, and what they can't sell for a profit, they either discard (saw this at Goodwill) or pack the rest into a large shipment and sell for $5/ton (or whatever) to 3rd world countries or for recycling. How many of the donation boxes are for charities that provide for the poor and homeless?
45 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4725 posts
629 upvotes
Calgary
Maybe its just natural selection.

I had to sit next to a "homeless" guy on a plane recently. With his full size pillow, his garbage bag of belongings and his smell. And none of it in the overhead bin or under the seat in front. Hopefully the fleas stayed where they were most wanted. Absolutely disgusting and the plane was full

Hopefully he will go looking for a donation box to scavenge.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17729 posts
1760 upvotes
Space for rent
Cough wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:12 am

I had to sit next to a "homeless" guy on a plane recently. With his full size pillow, his garbage bag of belongings and his smell. And none of it in the overhead bin or under the seat in front. Hopefully the fleas stayed where they were most wanted. Absolutely disgusting and the plane was full

Savage.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
830 posts
259 upvotes
Scarborough
Cough wrote:

Hopefully you'll also get the opportunity to be hated so much by other being.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4689 posts
577 upvotes
Ottawa
Cough wrote:

I call shenanigans. You want us to believe that a homeless person had the money to buy an airline ticket, but no money to buy even a simple bag to carry his stuff? Also, I highly doubt that anyone is allowed to fly using a "garbage bag" as carry-luggage.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4725 posts
629 upvotes
Calgary
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:50 am
I call shenanigans. You want us to believe that a homeless person had the money to buy an airline ticket, but no money to buy even a simple bag to carry his stuff? Also, I highly doubt that anyone is allowed to fly using a "garbage bag" as carry-luggage.
I can assure you this is absolutely true. Thank goodness it was only a 1 1/2 hour flight.

I found myself questioning how he could get all his worldly goods through security. Garbage bag compresses to fit in the measuring frame. Pillow is his hand item... who will stop him? He had a cell phone of course - but apparently no toothpaste, shampoo bottles etc. Or maybe the dropin center hands out travel size toiletries?? I literally had to hang out in the aisle for the entire flight (thankfully in an aisle seat) because the smell was so bad. But of course no-one is allowed to say anything because the poor guy is so disadvantaged and us rich one-percenters are the real dregs of society...

and btw "homeless" beggars are in no way broke and can easily afford a $100 one way plane fare
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4725 posts
629 upvotes
Calgary
Catnippy wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:44 am
Hopefully you'll also get the opportunity to be hated so much by other being.
I realize you are probably a bleeding heart liberal - but why is it OK for my trip to be ruined and offensive (and potentially unhealthy) but I cant have negative feelings about this dirtbag? Put yourself in my seat.

And how would you deal with the "poor homeless guy" if you were sitting in McDonalds and he dropped a dead raccoon on the table next to you?

Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4511 posts
161 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Cough wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:47 am
I realize you are probably a bleeding heart liberal - but why is it OK for my trip to be ruined and offensive (and potentially unhealthy) but I cant have negative feelings about this dirtbag? Put yourself in my seat.

And how would you deal with the "poor homeless guy" if you were sitting in McDonalds and he dropped a dead raccoon on the table next to you?

I'd naturally be petrified and disgusted. I'd think about what events in my life led me to this point that I had to sit in an eatery without table service, and how I can change my life around to rectify the situation.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2028 posts
149 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It's not just homeless people going through these bins. I once was walking home at 3:00am, passing by one of these bins. A couple was going through it, taking stuff. They didn't look homeless to me.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20273 posts
4240 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Depending on the area, people throw away a lot of stuff that is better than some of us own.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1693 posts
693 upvotes
Ontario
These bins need to be made safer. Large for-profit companies like Value Village stock their stores for virtually nothing with merchandise from these bins. Yes, they do donate a tiny percentage to charity, but they milk that pittance to the max masquerading as somehow being a charity themselves.
Jul 5, 2004
23828 posts
3391 upvotes
I'm probably one of the few that will say I don't see a problem with the existing bins. It's quite obvious that it's dangerous to climb into them so anyone who does is risking injury or death.

What happened to common sense? I don't believe in protecting people from their own extreme stupidity.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6940 posts
2154 upvotes
Mississauga
Cough wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:45 am
I can assure you this is absolutely true. Thank goodness it was only a 1 1/2 hour flight.

... and us rich one-percenters are the real dregs of society...
I don't understand how you, being a one-percenter, didn't fly Business Class? Then all this kerfuffle would have been much avoided and RFD wouldn't have to have read such a rant.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1519 upvotes
Markham, ON
be like markham...just ban all donation bins and convert them all to textile recycling bins....city takes all the profit and can standardize all the bins.

These new bins in Markham have opening that are fairly high above the ground...i would question how anyone can climb up with some type of aid.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2232 posts
951 upvotes
B.C.
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:05 am
be like markham...just ban all donation bins and convert them all to textile recycling bins....city takes all the profit and can standardize all the bins.

These new bins in Markham have opening that are fairly high above the ground...i would question how anyone can climb up with some type of aid.
The bins look just likes the ones here that people get stuck in (Assuming these pictures of the new ones are accurate https://rpra.ca/wp-content/uploads/IPAC ... arkham.pdf).

I think if we still had any of the old style wood ones left here they would be broken in to daily!