• Jan 16th, 2019 3:06 am
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4725 posts
629 upvotes
Calgary
kenchau wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:59 am
I don't understand how you, being a one-percenter, didn't fly Business Class? Then all this kerfuffle would have been much avoided and RFD wouldn't have to have read such a rant.
Maybe I was being sarcastic about a one percenter.

Or maybe I became one by being frugal and sensible through my whole life.

Or maybe short flights don't have business class.

Or maybe the poor homeless guy was in business class

What constitutes a "rant"? A clear description of a disgusting situation? But we see who you empathize and maybe identify with.....
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27308 upvotes
Hundreds of UBC Okanagan’s top first-year engineering students have come up with new designs for clothing donation bins.

The designs were showcased at the university on a Sunday afternoon. A panel of judges is choosing the best one.

The goal is for fourth-year engineering students to manufacture a fully functional prototype of the top design, then test it in the community next year 2019), he added.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4696928/ubco ... tion-bins/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6220 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
If you misuse any equipment or machinery there is going to be a high probability it will end up in serious injury or death.
This rule applies to everyone, death by misuse does not discriminate or classify individuals, you do the appropriate thing you feel the result.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
1930 posts
616 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm still a bit baffled that people getting stuck in them is a thing. We can't redesign everything to protect people from every ounce of their own idiocy.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1472 posts
309 upvotes
MilkyWind wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:48 am
It's not just homeless people going through these bins. I once was walking home at 3:00am, passing by one of these bins. A couple was going through it, taking stuff. They didn't look homeless to me.
One mans junk is another’s man treasure lol
Mar 30, 2013
271 posts
81 upvotes
Petawawa
No need for a re design. Just use them as intended? Obvious answer is obvious?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1313 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
No need for redesign.
If they really want to cash in more, add a "HELP ME" alarm inside that'll light up the outside if pressed.
Cops will come, and the donation robber gets charged/fined.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2230 posts
950 upvotes
B.C.
jasonchewy wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:42 pm
Cops will come, and the donation robber gets charged/fined.
Which does what exactly other than create a bunch of admin costs for the taxpayer?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1313 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:57 pm
Which does what exactly other than create a bunch of admin costs for the taxpayer?
Fine the guy accordingly to cover the costs and more to make a profit, slap that amount on a sticker on the box.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14689 posts
1064 upvotes
Markham
So all the donation boxes have to be redesigned because of some Darwin award candidate?
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2230 posts
950 upvotes
B.C.
jasonchewy wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:02 pm
Fine the guy accordingly to cover the costs and more to make a profit, slap that amount on a sticker on the box.
Most of these folks are homeless people who are battling mental illness and addiction. I don't think you're going to get any actual money out of them...

It will cost a lot to arrest them, process the fines and chase them by collections.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1313 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:21 pm
Most of these folks are homeless people who are battling mental illness and addiction. I don't think you're going to get any actual money out of them...

It will cost a lot to arrest them, process the fines and chase them by collections.
I'm just kinda going along with the similar idea of those "No Dumping" "No littering" signs with the attached fines signs I see everywhere.
Do they serve no purpose?

But I think idea of adding a "HELP" light would be enough. Designing a box that'll prevent people from going in, and still allows bags of clothing to go in will be difficult, similar to designing a working raccoon-proof garbage boxes.
But then again, a dollar store level of solution will probably balloon to 100x its cost in execution. heh.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5909 posts
2635 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:06 pm
So all the donation boxes have to be redesigned because of some Darwin award candidate?
You're close but not quite there.

All the donation boxes have to be redesigned because of several Darwin Award winners.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2230 posts
950 upvotes
B.C.
jasonchewy wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:32 pm
I'm just kinda going along with the similar idea of those "No Dumping" "No littering" signs with the attached fines signs I see everywhere.
Do they serve no purpose?

But I think idea of adding a "HELP" light would be enough. Designing a box that'll prevent people from going in, and still allows bags of clothing to go in will be difficult, similar to designing a working raccoon-proof garbage boxes.
But then again, a dollar store level of solution will probably balloon to 100x its cost in execution. heh.
Arresting people or fining people doesn't do any good when they're homeless and broke and can't pay.

Littering & Dumping fines make sense if the person can afford to pay them and in a lot of cases people would be able to. Most (maybe all?) of the people who have died in these bins are homeless or addicts (or both).

I'm not sure if the help button will be any good since this often happens in the middle of the night with nobody around.