• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2017 9:29 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
115 posts
12 upvotes

People here who own a cat or siamese cat

some questions and stuff i want to know.

is your siamese cat also super cuddly and wants to be with you 24/7 every second even when you just want to quickly use the washroom? is this just my cat or the breed in general? i am still mesmerized by how bonding they are.

what is it with cats and milk? i know you are not supposed to give cats milk;, but my cat goes insane for milk and tries to fight me for my milk when im drinking it. what is the issue with cats and milk? they can't digest it or what?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1027 posts
53 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You're just a lucky winner, most cat will just hang around near you. You have a Siamese and question about too cuddly and not noise?

As for fighting for your food, you will need to teach them some table manners.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9819 posts
879 upvotes
Siamese cat are known to be more affectionate, but I find personalities can vary greatly. I got one cat who is my shadow... and even learned how to open doors, so I don't even get bathroom privacy.

My cats go insane whenever I have cereal. They love milk, but cats are lactose intolerant. They can get diarrhea. Diarrhea can cause dehydration. Also the content of the milk is actually really high fat for them. But lactose free milk is okay to give them... just make sure it's a small amount and not often. Works well for me and my cats as I myself am not very tolerant of lactose.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
115 posts
12 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 2:19 pm
Siamese cat are known to be more affectionate, but I find personalities can vary greatly. I got one cat who is my shadow... and even learned how to open doors, so I don't even get bathroom privacy.

My cats go insane whenever I have cereal. They love milk, but cats are lactose intolerant. They can get diarrhea. Diarrhea can cause dehydration. Also the content of the milk is actually really high fat for them. But lactose free milk is okay to give them... just make sure it's a small amount and not often. Works well for me and my cats as I myself am not very tolerant of lactose.
so the whole reason why we're not supposed to give cats milk is because they can get diarrhea?

and to the first part of ur post. i had a regular short hair cat before this cat, and it was absolutely the complete solar opposite. it was still nice but it was how u'd a expect a cat to be, "do his own thing" sorta personality
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9819 posts
879 upvotes
anvil01 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 1:22 am
so the whole reason why we're not supposed to give cats milk is because they can get diarrhea?

and to the first part of ur post. i had a regular short hair cat before this cat, and it was absolutely the complete solar opposite. it was still nice but it was how u'd a expect a cat to be, "do his own thing" sorta personality
Diarrhea in cats can be a serious problem because dehydration is a serious problem. Cats typically don't drink as much as they should. This can lead to kidney diseases and other issues.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3421 posts
1352 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
anvil01 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 7:18 pm
some questions and stuff i want to know.

is your siamese cat also super cuddly and wants to be with you 24/7 every second even when you just want to quickly use the washroom? is this just my cat or the breed in general? i am still mesmerized by how bonding they are.
Nope, mine was a standoffish little bitch.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1645 posts
168 upvotes
Canada
Male cats are more clingy and needy
Milk is not good for cats
Nov 24, 2008
263 posts
98 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 7:11 am
Diarrhea in cats can be a serious problem because dehydration is a serious problem. Cats typically don't drink as much as they should. This can lead to kidney diseases and other issues.
It's not that cats don't drink as much as they should, it's that they aren't supposed to. Cats are what's called obligate carnivores, they MUST eat meat to get their proper nutrition and will get most of their fluid intake from the meat. Dry food is contrary to feline biology. Now, I know that most people will feed their cats dry food and put down water for them, but dry food is contrary to feline biology and you really should switch to canned, high protein in particular. But, if you're set on the dry food option, make sure it's high in protein, provide water and DO NOT GIVE MILK!! Joeyjoejoe is correct in that diarrhea in cats can be a serious problem because it compounds the cat's already low fluid intake.
Oct 6, 2015
792 posts
400 upvotes
I was once owned by a cat. Said cat wouldn't drink water in its younger age, only milk. It never was a problem. He lived to the age of 20 before he left us.

And yes, carbs are bad for cats. This is why dry food is bad. Carbs and grains are also bad for humans. Cats with access to clean water will easily drink enough of it to keep properly hydrated.
Banned
Jun 19, 2017
256 posts
180 upvotes
I recently "foster failed" and adopted a Beautiful two year old black cat that was abused. He is the most cuddly thing in the world and i've
fostered over a dozen cats and kittens. I can hold him like a baby.

My other cat, likes to be pet, but is feisty!
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
115 posts
12 upvotes
varano wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 4:08 pm
I recently "foster failed" and adopted a Beautiful two year old black cat that was abused. He is the most cuddly thing in the world and i've
fostered over a dozen cats and kittens. I can hold him like a baby.

My other cat, likes to be pet, but is feisty!
the thing is with my cat i dont initiate the cuddling or whatever. he will come to me and sleep in my lap, if i pick him up and put him away from me, he'll come back and sleep /sit on me, and no matter how many times i put him away he just keeps coming.
and he follows me everywhere in the house non stop
Apr 25, 2011
695 posts
253 upvotes
British Columbia
There are lots of cat personality types out there and unless your cat has pedigree papers it is essentially just a cat with pointed markings. Much like most black cats are not a Bombay and are rather just a regular black cat, so too it is true with other color types being found in plenty of non-breed specific cats. And there's nothing wrong with that; purebred cats orginated from those very same "regular" street cats.

The color point markings can be born from two cats that do not even have color point markings themself -- this an exception to the general rule, it can carry over multiple generations and then bam... random color point kitten.

Of the color point cats in my family, the ones that at least claimed to be purebred (despite paperwork...) often were more talkative and people focused. However one was dumb as a post and couldn't even meow, she'd open her mouth but that was it. No sound. The current one is the worst cat I've ever had the pleasure of living with... You would almost think she was semi-feral at times but nope... We've had her since she was young kitten unfortunately. Like all cats, their personalities vary.

Frankly the best cat I've ever had is a feral cat I took off the street and tamed within a few months. Hate to play favourites but he has it all. Just a regular dilute orange ("buff" coloring). Chatty cat and also strangely passive with all animals (even new cats in his house!). Playful and full of personality. Just a lovey boy.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18466 posts
3603 upvotes
Thornhill
I adopted these two bonded mixed shorthairs from shelter, and one of them loves to cuddle and wakes me up at 6am everyday by belly flopping on my neck while nuzzling and purring. He's definitely more cuddly.

The other only comes to me to 'knead' at my neck and then goes about her daily business of grooming.