• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2019 2:13 pm
[OP]
Jan 31, 2016
141 posts
21 upvotes
Arva, ON

People seem to choose themselves as vegan for the diet purposes

I may be over generalizing the impression I’ve got from people i know since it’s been only two people who have converted themselves as vegan recently. The main reason for them is to loose weight through vegan diet. I’m not judging anything but I’m just curious. Is this some kind of a new trend?
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5649 posts
765 upvotes
It's definitely not new. I went vegan in 1994 lol. I'm no longer a vegan but I definitely didn't do it for weight loss reasons. Veganism isn't a weight loss diet, per se. You can gain, maintain, lose weight on any diet because it comes down to energy balance. Personally, I don't care if someone is a vegan or not because it doesn't affect me. When I was a vegan people would ask the stupidest questions LOL. They wanted to talk about it more than I did ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9575 posts
1266 upvotes
I don't see how vegan is meant to lose weight but I guess if it forces you to cut out dairy and animal fat then I guess so...

Veganism isn't new but I suppose increased education and access/ease to vegan foods may contribute to the increase in general.
Jan 18, 2017
523 posts
175 upvotes
Keto, intermittent fasting, and lifting heavy is probably a way faster way to lose weight.

My vegan friends are vegan for environmental reasons, which I can understand. We try to limit red meat intake to once or twice a week for the same reason, but have a hard time giving it up completely.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10545 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Only reason I'd go vegan is because I'm a massive hypocrite in that I'd never want to kill an animal personally yet I gorge on steak and bacon as my heart desires.

I've definitely considered it
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5649 posts
765 upvotes
KevCnew wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 9:46 am
Keto, intermittent fasting, and lifting heavy is probably a way faster way to lose weight.

My vegan friends are vegan for environmental reasons, which I can understand. We try to limit red meat intake to once or twice a week for the same reason, but have a hard time giving it up completely.
None of those cause weight loss. A calorie deficit causes weight loss ;)
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13050 posts
1465 upvotes
Doesnt matter, every…
Excuse me, this man needs help, is anyone in here a doctor.

Im a vegan

Or

Hi Im Bill, how are you. Im vegan

Many do it and then wont shut up about it. Want to do it as a choice, then shut up and just do it
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5649 posts
765 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 3:50 pm
Excuse me, this man needs help, is anyone in here a doctor.

Im a vegan

Or

Hi Im Bill, how are you. Im vegan

Many do it and then wont shut up about it. Want to do it as a choice, then shut up and just do it
Well, that's the same as any diet. Kosher, omnivore, gluten free, halal....nobody cares lol. Just eat what you want to/must.
Jan 18, 2017
523 posts
175 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 3:48 pm
None of those cause weight loss. A calorie deficit causes weight loss ;)
Oh yea, absolutely. You cant beat thermodynamics.

But all of those things make it easier for a caloric deficit.

Eating keto is eating high fat, which satisfies you and makes you feel fuller on less (relative to low fat).

Eating one meal on IF, your stomach size limits your consumption of too many calories.

And lifting heavy burns lots of calories, and builds muscles to burn even more calories.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4902 posts
818 upvotes
Just my experience as a former vegetarian when I was younger. Even though I was not eating healthy while being vegetarian, I was still at the lowest weight of my adult life, without even trying to eating healthy. There's tons of calories & fat in meat, just by simply not eating meat my weight went down. It was not my goal to lose weight when I was vegetarian btw. Doesn't mean it applies to everyone but just cutting out meat meant my total caloric intake was down significantly. Even if I ate pasta or rice, you need to eat a ton to compare calories vs cutting out a steak from your dinner.
I am a Koodo customer
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5649 posts
765 upvotes
KevCnew wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 9:23 pm
Oh yea, absolutely. You cant beat thermodynamics.

But all of those things make it easier for a caloric deficit.

Eating keto is eating high fat, which satisfies you and makes you feel fuller on less (relative to low fat).

Eating one meal on IF, your stomach size limits your consumption of too many calories.

And lifting heavy burns lots of calories, and builds muscles to burn even more calories.
Fat doesn't affect satiety as much as protein. You could also gain weight following keto.

Lifting heavy doesn't burn that many kcals. And I'm glad about that because I don't lift to burn cals! Gaining muscle doesn't really affect your BMR that much. For example, if muscle burns about 6-10 kcal per lb of muscle and someone gains ten lbs of muscle, they'll burn maybe an extra 60-100 kcals per day. And since muscle isn't gained that easily, the extra muscle needed to affect BMR significantly would take years and years.

IF is about timing, not the fact that your stomach limits intake. You could gain weight following IF, if you sustain a surplus.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13050 posts
1465 upvotes
Doesnt matter, every…
amz155 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 7:04 pm
Well, that's the same as any diet. Kosher, omnivore, gluten free, halal....nobody cares lol. Just eat what you want to/must.
No not really, they go out of their way to let people know.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5649 posts
765 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 11:48 am
No not really, they go out of their way to let people know.
No, not really. I guess it depends on who you talk to. If your friends are selfish and turn vegan and then decide to tell everyone they know bc they inknothers care, well the person was an arse to being with ;)
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13050 posts
1465 upvotes
Doesnt matter, every…
amz155 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 7:46 am
No, not really. I guess it depends on who you talk to. If your friends are selfish and turn vegan and then decide to tell everyone they know bc they inknothers care, well the person was an arse to being with ;)
I know many people that are vegan that arent my friends, its like they mention it anytime they can at random

So, no no not not reeally really
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5649 posts
765 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 4:29 pm
I know many people that are vegan that arent my friends, its like they mention it anytime they can at random

So, no no not not reeally really
I know many vegans who never mention it. Most people that talk about what they eat are omnivores. Talk of food is almost everywhere these days and it's mainly about omnivorous eating.