Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1415 posts
424 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…

people starting threads should include dates in the title when applicable

people starting threads should include dates in the title when applicable.

there's nothing more annoying than read a 100 post thread, only to find at the 100th post that the deal is dead. also, people keep posting to the thread and that bumps it up with a newer date, making it appear current when it really is not.

keep up the good work :D
:arrow: Literally by doing nothing at home, you can save lives during the Covid-19 Crisis.
:arrow: Keep physically distant but socially connected.
:arrow: Sask distracted driving - the old fashion way - with alcohol and MJ.
15 replies
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
1 upvote
Usually once a deal goes dead, the original poster or I guess even moderators will change the title to say something like [Dead Deal] in it.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
v00d00 wrote:Usually once a deal goes dead, the original poster or I guess even moderators will change the title to say something like [Dead Deal] in it.
Yeah, I think that's a better solution. Sometimes the original poster isn't around anymore, but the mods should be free to make the title change as well.
- Absolute
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
1 upvote
Oh yeah.. and if you were reading a 100 post thread, only to get to the 100th post to find out the deal is dead.. well that's just bad timing.

Means it's just been found out the deal is dead, so it takes time for others to verify it's dead and more time for someone to change the topic.

What do you think it should be instanteous?

PS - what's with your location saying GSA - Greater Saskatchewan Area... is that a stab at GTA'ers? But they don't say GOA - Greater Ontario Area.. maybe say GRA?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
1401 posts
70 upvotes
Mount Hope, ON
saskwatcher wrote:people starting threads should include dates in the title when applicable.

there's nothing more annoying than read a 100 post thread, only to find at the 100th post that the deal is dead. also, people keep posting to the thread and that bumps it up with a newer date, making it appear current when it really is not.

keep up the good work :D
You should read the first post to see the details (store, coupons etc etc). From there you can see the original post date.

Pretty much everything in the 90 posts in the middle is probabaly "I got it" or "I didn't get it". Read the last 10 posts, and you should be able to tell if the deal is still alive.

When I was posting PM deals, I took pride and updated the thread (including title) as the status changed (ie B&M only now ... or *DEAD*). But it took a fair bit of time to do. Not everyone has the time or visits here even on a daily basis to maintain the thread they started.
There are two types of people in the world,
those who search for hidden messages, and those who don't.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
v00d00 wrote:PS - what's with your location saying GSA - Greater Saskatchewan Area... is that a stab at GTA'ers? But they don't say GOA - Greater Ontario Area.. maybe say GRA?
GOA = Greater Ottawa Area :)

Nah, we like to just call it O-town, although there are over a dozen cities that make up the megacity.
- Absolute
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2003
4772 posts
42 upvotes
i make it a point to try and use the title as much as possible to offer details on the freebie/hot deal

LOCATION, DATE, PRICE, & Product! is a must for these threads!
"Illegitimi non carborundum" --Latin Proverb
If you want to do something good for your soul, and your own sense of self-worth, help someone secretly and never tell them or anyone else, ever.
:evil: AVOID ByoLogyc products such as ByoMate!
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Or you could just not be lazy and simply look at the date when the post was created.
It only takes 1.2 seconds.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2003
4772 posts
42 upvotes
Shaner wrote:Or you could just not be lazy and simply look at the date when the post was created.
date of creation is usless...its the date of expiry or valid date of sale that is of use
If you want to do something good for your soul, and your own sense of self-worth, help someone secretly and never tell them or anyone else, ever.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
runamuck wrote:date of creation is usless...its the date of expiry or valid date of sale that is of use
That's not at all true! A lot of deals don't have an ending date, for example, pricing errors, price matches, etc. However, if it is a hot deal, but the post was created two months prior, there's no need to read any further, because it's guaranteed that the deal is dead now.

But if there is an ending date to the deal, I'm sure the original poster will put that information in the very first post they make, so why does it have to be in the title as well? It's not hard to click on a post, read the first post, then click back if the deal is dead. I can do that in under 5 seconds.

It's just laziness that's all. People want to be convenienced as much as possible. It's not enough that others are finding deals for them, but they have to make it as easy as possible to get those deals too.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1415 posts
424 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
Shaner wrote:Or you could just not be lazy and simply look at the date when the post was created.
It would be great if the the creation date was shown on the "summary headline" page, but it isn't. I've sugggested it to RFD and they say it is something to consider for the next version of the software.
:arrow: Literally by doing nothing at home, you can save lives during the Covid-19 Crisis.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1415 posts
424 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
Shaner wrote:But if there is an ending date to the deal, I'm sure the original poster will put that information in the very first post they make, so why does it have to be in the title as well? It's not hard to click on a post, read the first post, then click back if the deal is dead. I can do that in under 5 seconds.
5 seconds times a hundred post is 500 seconds!!! but seriously even if I am not looking at a hundred postings, there are a hundred other people who are, which would slow down the RFD server. my bloated operating systems runs like a pig so i don't want to open extra windows if i don't have to, which is the main reason i switched to the Firefox browser, instead of "Internet Exploder"

while i am not lazy per se, i do not like inefficiency in posts that waste my time, my bandwidth, wears out my mouse, your time, your bandwidth, etc......
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1415 posts
424 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
runamuck wrote:i make it a point to try and use the title as much as possible to offer details on the freebie/hot deal

LOCATION, DATE, PRICE, & Product! is a must for these threads!

my thoughts exactly, and most posters would agree.
thanks for the support.
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
5 upvotes
This post is for the spoonfed?

If I have a hot deal let's say. from now on should I be putting a disclaimer line like:

Use your common sense when reading this thread?
Fineprint: Any brand that have [rfdlink=#]double underline link[/rfdlink] on my posts are not endorsed by me (unless stated otherwise) and automatically placed by the forum software for the site owners' commercial interests.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2003
4772 posts
42 upvotes
..then theres the completly useless titles like "computer sale", "cheep ram"

geeze theres a title subject field that could be used to put relavent info... :idea:

me thinks most people like whoring their threads like a loopy advertisment [IMG]http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/imag ... icon13.gif[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2003
4772 posts
42 upvotes
Shaner wrote:That's not at all true! A lot of deals don't have an ending date, for example, pricing errors, price matches, etc. However, if it is a hot deal, but the post was created two months prior, there's no need to read any further, because it's guaranteed that the deal is dead now.

But if there is an ending date to the deal, I'm sure the original poster will put that information in the very first post they make, so why does it have to be in the title as well? It's not hard to click on a post, read the first post, then click back if the deal is dead. I can do that in under 5 seconds.

It's just laziness that's all. People want to be convenienced as much as possible. It's not enough that others are finding deals for them, but they have to make it as easy as possible to get those deals too.

yes i agree ...its laziness.. not of the clicker but of the poster! :D

thanks but no thanks.. if someone is going to share a deal, put in the effort to put the relavent info in the title..or at least in the first post..
u'd be suprized at how many ppl dont...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)