• Jan 22nd, 2011 7:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4251 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto

People stealing your lawn and garden stuff

Has anyone ever stolen any of your property? Im not talking about someone breaking into your house, garage, or shed really but more some frilly thing on your lawn? Or maybe a shovel ot a tool on a deck?

I guess Im thankful no one stole my BBQ or patio furniture.

One time someone stole a T-bar from my backyard that was visible form the street. All it was, was 2 poles welded together and painted grey that hung 2 bird feeders. Someone took that right out of the ground one night and swiped it. There was a bit of snow on the ground so you could see the footprints coming and going with the pole dragging. If they really wanted something stupid like that bad, they could have asked me and I might have given it to them. I now have a fancier stand that isnt visible from the street, so please dont steal it now that I told you.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
74 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1960 upvotes
I haven't had anything stolen but I remember reading letters to the editor in the Brampton Guardian of people complaining that they had lawn ornaments stolen or vandalized.

I live in a townhouse complex and I noticed some of my neighbours had their bbq tanks chained up. When I asked about it, I was told that people steal the tanks. Sometimes they even leave an empty one behind. Why would someone steal your propane tank ? I'm more worried about my bbq than the tank.
May 29, 2005
528 posts
71 upvotes
Nepean
From the top of my driveway near my house I've had an old bike that I picked up from the garbage stolen - it was out there for three days. I also had my sleigh shovel stolen a couple winters ago - luckily it was broken and I was mostly done with my shoveling.

Oddly enough, I've been lucky so far with all the other more expensive stuff that I've left out. I've left out kids toys, oscillating fans, and strollers. I've also learned to keep nothing in the car and keep the door unlocked.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10698 posts
1681 upvotes
Toronto
Time to move if the neighbors are desperate over a used shovel. In the winter, I keep all my shovels near the front door in plane view. If I lose one, there better be a good excuse like Canadian Tire sold out.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2423 posts
191 upvotes
Alberta
My neighbor bought a brand new expensive Napoleon stainless bbq and it was in his backyard on the deck. The next morning he noticed that it was gone and someone already stole it before he could even use it. We were kind of wondering if someone at the store had something to do with it. And we live in an upscale neighborhood.
Apr 18, 2005
405 posts
74 upvotes
I've always had issues with people taking our garbage on garbage day (rooting through for bottles in downtown T.O. at 5:00 AM, old lawnmower, microwave), but nothing we didn't put out for collection.

I know someone who lives in a million-dollar home area in Richmond Hill who's had a wheelbarrow, a bucket, and other little things taken. You'd think that people who live in million-dollar homes could buy their own plastic bucket.
Dec 26, 2009
156 posts
1 upvote
Pickering, ON
Blue bin. The thief was most courteous. He/she dumped all the cans/plastic into the bin with all the papers before taking it.
"Well I assure you sir, this thing sucks" - Don Van Vliet (Captain Beefheart) selling a vacuum cleaner to Aldous Huxley.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1143 posts
28 upvotes
Keswick
i live in a good area of richmond hill and couple times people stole the 9.99 Solar Lamps in my garden... too funny how lame some people are
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Only 6 houses on my cul-de-sac, one's in awhile a front potted plant goes missing but i doubt it's my neighbours. :confused:
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea:
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2104 posts
102 upvotes
Regina
Geez. I remember one time I forgot my laptop on the lawn in front of my condo. After an hour I realized I forgot it and I came back and it was still there lol. Lucky I suppose.

My boss was telling me about this friend of his that had their bbq stolen. It was later returned with a note apologizing for borrowing it and tickets to an upcoming concert as a way of saying sorry for the inconvenience. When they went to the concert their house was broken in to and everything stolen, including the bbq.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
55 upvotes
Burlington
Cheap Cat wrote:
Aug 5th, 2010 9:47 pm
Why would someone steal your propane tank ?
Too cheap to buy propane or the tank's expired.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4773 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
antichrysler wrote:
Aug 6th, 2010 9:44 am
Geez. I remember one time I forgot my laptop on the lawn in front of my condo. After an hour I realized I forgot it and I came back and it was still there lol. Lucky I suppose.

My boss was telling me about this friend of his that had their bbq stolen. It was later returned with a note apologizing for borrowing it and tickets to an upcoming concert as a way of saying sorry for the inconvenience. When they went to the concert their house was broken in to and everything stolen, including the bbq.
Too funny, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

A friend once told me that a neighbour of his went on vacation for a week to Europe.

The thieves break into his house through the patio door. And proceed to clean house with a moving truck.

Nobody got suspicious until the victim return back, and found the house empty.

So when they went around asking for answer.

Nobody got any idea the movers is the thieves because he didn't tell his neighbours, that they went on vacation.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Banned
Jan 4, 2010
1584 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
whampoa wrote:
Aug 6th, 2010 10:32 am
Too funny, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

A friend once told me that a neighbour of his went on vacation for a week.

The thieves break into his house through the patio door. And proceed to clean house with a moving truck.

Nobody got suspicious until the victim return back, and found the house empty.

So when they went around asking for answer.

Nobody got any idea the movers is the thieves because he didn't tell his neighbours, that they went on vacation.
That is what he gets for taking a "vacation" in Thailand to have sex with hookers. Which is why he didn't tell his neighbors. It's karma.
enon
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9400 posts
357 upvotes
Mississauga
enon wrote:
Aug 6th, 2010 10:36 am
That is what he gets for taking a "vacation" in Thailand to have sex with hookers. Which is why he didn't tell his neighbors. It's karma.
Where did you get that from? :confused:
× < >