• Nov 8th, 2014 10:47 am
Tags:
None
Jun 29, 2013
367 posts
50 upvotes
Vancouver

People who shop around Bellingham for liquor, need help

If anyone knows prices for 12 packs/24 packs of beers at Walmart, Costco(or if they sell them didn't see them) and Fred Meyer's, please tell me. Planning on brining some beers over to Vancouver from Bellingham. Thanks
3 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
I agree, those people need help. 12 steps of it.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Oct 21, 2014
115 posts
231 upvotes
Richmond, BC
It reallly depends on what kind of beer you want. Cheap swill like Budweiser, Miller may be $12 for 18 beers or less. Good beer generally is about $1 a beer, Deschutes, Elysian, etc(best value in my opinion, that stuff can be $16-25 for 6 in Canada). You can get a couple of tall boys of cheap beer for $3 at some gas stations. Remember legally you are only allowed 24 beers per person duty free when you cross the border IF you have been out of the country for 48 hours or longer.

However I always bring back 12 everytime I cross (even to get gas), am honest at the border crossing, and have never had to pay duty. Apparently if they do decide to charge you duty it is about the same as the cost you paid for the beer, effectively doubling the price. That may still be cheaper than what we pay in Canada for some high end beers.

I hope you are planning on declaring the beers. If not, and you end up going through secondary inspection, you'll have to pay a lot to get your beers back (if at all) and you'll get added to the special "list" of people who get the "privilege" of being searched everytime they cross the border.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6367 posts
245 upvotes
Syne wrote: I agree, those people need help. 12 steps of it.
LOL, that's how I read the title too!