• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2014 8:27 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
7113 posts
9300 upvotes
ELiTE KiLLaH wrote: Seems the best thing to do is the opposite of the masses (in certain cases lol).

Bear market: most ppl panic and sell and take their money out of the market, either running with their profits or more likely running with losses. U should buy here cuz stuff is cheaper.

Bull market: ppl are getting crazy cuz the market is going up so they buy in now, when u should be doing little or nothing and riding the wave? Lol
Yes, it's just hard to implement. When you see your investments down 30% or 50%.... It's too easy to be emotional and think that they might go down 80% (how many times 1929 was quoted in 2008 crash?), so they sell. If you can ignore the media and the friends and the family and buy more (as a rational decision because most stocks are likely trading below its intrinsic value), then you developed the intestinal fortitude required for this!

Rod
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
I personally have never sold anything in the last 10 years or so. Why sell when you have the money to buy more? Market gyrations don't bother me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5131 posts
4925 upvotes
John Bogle on why your retirement plan stinks

How important are fees to your retirement plan's success? As Vanguard founder John Bogle pointed out in a recent discussion with analysts, it's really all that matters.

Fees easily wipe out a huge portion of the yield on stocks, he said, more than 63% for your money.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
Stryker wrote: John Bogle on why your retirement plan stinks

How important are fees to your retirement plan's success? As Vanguard founder John Bogle pointed out in a recent discussion with analysts, it's really all that matters.

Fees easily wipe out a huge portion of the yield on stocks, he said, more than 63% for your money.
Fees, market timing, overconfidence and other biases that all of us suffer from are some things to watch out for. For my portfolio, I pay 0.087% in MER and buying ETFs is free with Questrade. I don't ever sell but just add to my positions quarterly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)