• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2010 9:38 am
Tags:
None
Aug 10, 2008
977 posts
88 upvotes

Performance test program: different results on XP vs Windows 7

I used the Passmark program to evaluate the performance of my PC. With XP, I got a score of 330. After installing Windows 7 and the correct drivers, I got only 230.

Is that supposed to vary according to which OS you use? does it mean W7 is taxing more my system with respect to XP, leaving less resource available?

The program evaluates performances for things like CPU calculation, memory speed, 2D and 3D graphics, Hard Drive read-write speed and I can't see why the results would be so significantly different from XP to W7
3 replies
Mar 20, 2010
109 posts
Hamilton
manteiv wrote: I used the Passmark program to evaluate the performance of my PC. With XP, I got a score of 330. After installing Windows 7 and the correct drivers, I got only 230.
Do you have a copies of win98, *nix, mac too? :cheesygri
Mar 20, 2010
109 posts
Hamilton
In short the answer is "Yes, Win7 runs more processes and services." My guess is you have a core 2 duo, and 8800GT? Some specs would be helpful... :razz:

I would recommend upgrading for performance, but it depends on budgets, time spent on PC, demands, and expectations.

I'm prefer win7 muchly. :-0
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
2088 posts
122 upvotes
I used the Passmark program to evaluate the performance of my PC. With Windows 3.1, I got a score of 1,025. After installing Windows 7 and the correct drivers, I got only 230.

Is that supposed to vary according to which OS you use? does it mean W7 is taxing more my system with respect to Windows 3.1, leaving less resource available?

The program evaluates performances for things like CPU calculation, memory speed, 2D and 3D graphics, Hard Drive read-write speed and I can't see why the results would be so significantly different from Windows 3.1 to W7