Travel

Permanent Resident Card Renewal Time after processing started?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2018 10:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3725 posts
343 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec

Permanent Resident Card Renewal Time after processing started?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how long it takes to receive a new PR card AFTER the processing of the card has started.
The website gives only the total expected interval once the card has been received and that interval keeps getting longer and longer every time I check.

I have received notification via email that they started processing my application (which is just to renew an existing card that is about to expire) on April 26th and I was sure it would be here by now, almost three weeks later, but nothing.
The time interval that was quoted when I first sent in my renewal application should have put the new card in my mailbox about two weeks ago.

I'm planning to take a road trip to the US in a few days - as I understand it, I don't need the PR card to come back by car but does anyone know what the best other document is to minimize the problems at the border when returning to Canada?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1281 posts
522 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
My husband had a PR card/EU passport for years. The last time we renewed it (2013 maybe) it was a solid month to 6 weeks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3725 posts
343 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Thanks for the comments.

@Yazzy - I have read the details on the Canadian government websites and if you come back in a private vehicle you don't need a PR card, you only need the PR card if coming via commercial transportation like airplane, train or bus.
When you come back in a car which is the case for me, the Canada government website lists a number of other documents that are acceptable one of which is the Ontario Photo Card which is what I plan to use.

I would have preferred to have my new PR card and it should have been here 2 weeks ago according to the time interval posted on the Canadian website when I applied, but the processing times seem to be much longer than they specify.
Feb 5, 2017
131 posts
75 upvotes
Vancouver
Interesting. Well hopefully you are able to return without issues then
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1151 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
I have read that you have to give it 6 weeks from when the card is sent....
You can get a PRTD but I would do some research about how long that takes as you have to send your passport.

They received my application on February 26th and the only contact I have had is for the photos to be taken again. I want to go away in the middle of July but don't think that will be happening unless I know the card will be here in time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3725 posts
343 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
My application to renew the PR card was received on 13 February.
At that time the total processing time was around 78 days - now it's shown as over 100 days.

Really crazy, a Canadian born family member had her Canadian passport renewed in just over a week.

I read that people who applied for a PR card are often asked to have the photos taken again - do they tell you why?
I went to Shoppers, told them what the photo was for - basically a passport picture - and hope the photos are OK.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3725 posts
343 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Yazzy88 wrote:
May 16th, 2018 2:45 pm
Interesting. Well hopefully you are able to return without issues then
I hope so too.
I will know next Wednesday when I'm coming back
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1151 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote:
May 16th, 2018 3:42 pm
My application to renew the PR card was received on 13 February.
At that time the total processing time was around 78 days - now it's shown as over 100 days.

Really crazy, a Canadian born family member had her Canadian passport renewed in just over a week.

I read that people who applied for a PR card are often asked to have the photos taken again - do they tell you why?
I went to Shoppers, told them what the photo was for - basically a passport picture - and hope the photos are OK.
Going by your timeline, I should have received something by now. Guess I will have to keep waiting as contacting them is so difficult. I have read that the issue with why it takes so long is that checking the travel dates takes a lot of time, that's why a first time application is a lot quicker. I just hope I hear something soon.

My original photos were done at SDM and for the life of me, couldn't see why they had been rejected. I went to a photographer in a convenience store for the second set as they were recommended and they said they have only had two rejections and they said quite a few photos taken at SDM are rejected.
Feb 17, 2017
491 posts
236 upvotes
Calgary
cardle wrote:
May 16th, 2018 4:11 pm
Going by your timeline, I should have received something by now. Guess I will have to keep waiting as contacting them is so difficult. I have read that the issue with why it takes so long is that checking the travel dates takes a lot of time, that's why a first time application is a lot quicker. I just hope I hear something soon.

My original photos were done at SDM and for the life of me, couldn't see why they had been rejected. I went to a photographer in a convenience store for the second set as they were recommended and they said they have only had two rejections and they said quite a few photos taken at SDM are rejected.
CAA's are a good place to do them as they have the official passport canada software and the software can tell them if the photo is good enough (PR card photos and passport photos are now the same standard). (At least they have these machines in Alberta AMA/CAA's anyway).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3725 posts
343 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
cardle wrote:
May 16th, 2018 4:11 pm

All I received was an email on April 26th that they received my application on Feb 13 and that as of April 26 they started to process my application.
Before that nothing - like my application ended up in a big black hole.
They should really send the notice that they received the application on the day or so when they receive it.

I assume my photos are OK or I would have heard from them by now.
We are CAA members but the closest CAA is about an hour drive each way - not really practical for just a set of passport photos.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1151 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
I'm reading (honestly I do a lot of reading about this :( ) that because my photos were rejected that I have been pushed back based on the date they received the new photos. The original date they received my application was 26th February and the date they received the new photos plus complete application was 14th April. So it looks like I have lost 6 weeks now. Really, really frustrating and not really fair at all. They took a month to send the letter about the need to send the new photos plus it took about 2 weeks for it to get here.

So that's why I haven't received any notification at all. I renewed my card 5 years ago and I don't remember things being like this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3725 posts
343 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Seems to me that system is really broken.

To replace a Canadian passport that was about to expire took only just over a week - actually a lot faster than I expected, and to replace a PR card that is about to expire takes a minimum of 3 1/2 months right now and counting.

Somebody mentioned somewhere it takes that long because they need to check every trip one made out of the country.

Honestly, I don't remember every business and vacation trip in the last 10 years that took me out of Canada - never thought I would have to keep a track of that.
Hopefully I didn't forget one or don't have the dates 100% correct and my PR card renewal gets rejected because of that.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1151 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote:
May 16th, 2018 9:44 pm
Seems to me that system is really broken.

To replace a Canadian passport that was about to expire took only just over a week - actually a lot faster than I expected, and to replace a PR card that is about to expire takes a minimum of 3 1/2 months right now and counting.

Somebody mentioned somewhere it takes that long because they need to check every trip one made out of the country.

Honestly, I don't remember every business and vacation trip in the last 10 years that took me out of Canada - never thought I would have to keep a track of that.
Hopefully I didn't forget one or don't have the dates 100% correct and my PR card renewal gets rejected because of that.
I was thinking what happens if you lose or the card gets stolen when you are away. Total nightmare.

It would honestly be easier losing your passport.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)