Travel

Permanent Resident Card Renewal Time after processing started?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2018 2:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4109 posts
418 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
For anyone waiting for their PR Card....to give you an idea of actual processing time.

This would be best case scenario - no questions, photo was fine - just straight processing.

Mine was a renewal.
I submitted it on 18 February 2018
Received notice that it was finally approved and mailed on 7 June 2018
Total time 16 weeks or 112 days assuming it shows up early next week which I fully expect - not sure where it was mailed from.
Estimated time on the PR website for processing back in February when I applied was around 78 days
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1190 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 5:22 pm
For anyone waiting for their PR Card....to give you an idea of actual processing time.

This would be best case scenario - no questions, photo was fine - just straight processing.

Mine was a renewal.
I submitted it on 18 February 2018
Received notice that it was finally approved and mailed on 7 June 2018
Total time 16 weeks or 112 days assuming it shows up early next week which I fully expect - not sure where it was mailed from.
Estimated time on the PR website for processing back in February when I applied was around 78 days
I'm glad it was finally mailed and it is on it's way to you.

I'm still stuck in a black hole with mine. Original was received on February 26th, photos re-done and application re-sent was received on April 12th and haven't been sent anything at all and working from the date of April 12th.

My advice to anyone who has to renew soon is to do asap
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5005 posts
476 upvotes
Scarborough
Current processing time for the card (as per CIC website) is 114 days.
(very pathetic level of govt service for a travel document)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5005 posts
476 upvotes
Scarborough
cardle wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 6:27 pm

I'm still stuck in a black hole with mine. Original was received on February 26th, photos re-done and application re-sent was received on April 12th and haven't been sent anything at all and working from the date of April 12th.

Get your local (federal) area MP involved to get status update if you can.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4109 posts
418 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
cardle wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 6:27 pm

Just to close this out - my card did show up in the regular mail on Monday, June 11th.
It supposedly was mailed on June 7th, the Thrsday before that and the date shown on the card was June 5th - so once the card has been processed it makes it through the system pretty fast.
My card seemed to have been stuck in a black hole for a long time as well, after a ridiculous long time in the queue before I even received an acknowledgement my application was received to actually physically receiving the card was just over 6 weeks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4109 posts
418 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
apnayloags wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 12:51 pm
Get your local (federal) area MP involved to get status update if you can.
I actually went to see my MP before I even sent the renewal application.
They validated the copies of my passport, the pictures and the copy of my existing PR card with their stamp and initial.

I didn't think that validation was even required but they insisted when I asked about it........with a comment like "You never know what the person processing the application actually decides they want"
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4774 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder why you need to waste money renewing a PR card, I have my PR card when I first migrated to Canada within 4 years I am already a Canadian.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4109 posts
418 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Wasting money?

Renewing a Canadian passport for 5 years is $120.- plus a bunch of additional service fees if you need them.
So a new 5-year PR card is a lot cheaper.

But there are a number of other reasons why one may want to remain as a Permanent Resident rather than apply for Canadian Citizenship - money doesn't enter the picture.