None
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10281 posts
101 upvotes
Mississauga

Person parking in disabled parking who is not disabled

What would you guys do in this case?

I was walking to my GO train this morning and I saw a woman pull up in a handicap parking spot, toss a handicap permit on her dash, and walk onto the platform with nary a limp.

It infuriates me because there actually are disabled people who use our station and someone like her is using one of their spots - potentially making a real handicap person walk a mile.

I have her licence plate and make/model - I tried calling the City, the Ministry, and the Police to no avail. Who can I contact to get this woman ticketed? People selfishly abusing the system deserve to be nailed with a sizable ticket.
4chan melts your brain.
Share:
96 replies
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Not all handicaps are visible Dan. You don't really believe that they are do you? If she has a permit she's entitled to park there if the permit is hers.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7260 posts
128 upvotes
There are many reasons how someone can get a disabled parking permit.

She may be picking up someone that is disabled (her dad, mom).
Or she may have back problems that you cannot see.

Yes, tons of ppl mis-use it. I've seen BMW's, Porsches with handicap parking permits. Then the typical BMW driver steps out, young, Mr. Cool, bling bling neclaces, sunglasses, tight polo shirt. Handicapped? Maybe in style.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6350 posts
190 upvotes
Some people may have a heart condition which allows them to have the permit. There could be MANY things that the person has which would entitle her to hold the permit. Also, (although I doubt it) what if she was parked there and was going to get someone with a disability? My stepfather is 94 and has a permit. Sometimes I take him to the doctor or I go to pick him up and if I don't park in the handicapped spot, and then go in to get him, he'll have to walk too far, so the truth is, not everything is as it appears.

That being said, anyone who uses the permit incorrectly is a creep.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7260 posts
128 upvotes
danfromwaterloo wrote:
Jun 24th, 2009 4:20 pm
What would you guys do in this case?

I was walking to my GO train this morning and I saw a woman pull up in a handicap parking spot, toss a handicap permit on her dash, and walk onto the platform with nary a limp.

It infuriates me because there actually are disabled people who use our station and someone like her is using one of their spots - potentially making a real handicap person walk a mile.

I have her licence plate and make/model - I tried calling the City, the Ministry, and the Police to no avail. Who can I contact to get this woman ticketed? People selfishly abusing the system deserve to be nailed with a sizable ticket.

But I do agree with you. I hate it when ppl abuse it. Maybe someday, you can go work for the Govern. offices that issue these. Or the dept. that investigates false claims. Go help fix the system. And truly allow handicapped ppl to use these spots and penalize those that copy, steal these permits and illegally use them.

Just by looking, one cannot prove that that lady is not entitled to her parking permit. Its basically a fraud charge = courts = lawyers = time. And who's going to pay for all this? It can't be started just because a citizen has a suspicion that this lady is not handicapped.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2007
1328 posts
51 upvotes
That being said, there are people who abuses the system... I remember my friend borrowed her grandma's car with the permit, so that she can get a parking spot at a shopping mall during boxing day...

May 28, 2009
94 posts
GTA
will i get flamed if i say OP needs better things to do...?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7433 posts
315 upvotes
Canada
I've asked this before but didn't get an answer, so I'll ask it here:

Is it true that if you are under 5 feet tall, you are eligible to apply for a disability parking pass? My friend told me you could, but I am skeptical of this
He died for me, I live for him.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2009
2076 posts
23 upvotes
oh man, if only you know how many people use our tax money and claim to be disabled...in Hamilton if you take the barton bus you'd be surprised at how many people sit on wheel chairs and are not disabled...there are alot of people scamming our gov, who claim that they cannot work and are taxi drivers....its sad really sad
Jun 20, 2009
46 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
molala wrote:
Jun 24th, 2009 4:36 pm
Not all disabilities are visible. She might have a heart condition, repiratory condition, just to name a few, which warrant her from walking for long distance.

Move on.
narcolepsy strikes again!

lol joking

on a more serious note, u CAN do something IF the name on the permit is not registered to her vehicle. maybe even if its not in her name. so u shoudla checked for that.
"I put on my robe and wizard hat"
-09: Pepsi minoHD x5//Huggies - 25$ Gas Card x1
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2009
2076 posts
23 upvotes
molala wrote:
Jun 24th, 2009 4:46 pm
You need to know "visible disabilities" is not the only thing that warrants someone use of a chair.
I once took that barton bus, and there was this guy on wheel chair waiting, the bus driver went to back and leaned the bus but she didnt push him, he looked disabled, so people got irritated as to why bus driver didnt push him (she knows something I guess) anyways this guy got pissed he spit as bus driver pass by him...anyways when he got to his destination, the driver was rude to him so this guy got pissed off he stood up and pushed his wheel chair out of the bus and started walking normaly, everybody in bus was shocked....

and bus driver knew this guy was acting all along.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1579 posts
32 upvotes
Etobicoke
op has too much time on his hands.

if she has a permit, she is legally entitled to park there.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7433 posts
315 upvotes
Canada
Visual acuity is 20/200 or poorer in the better eye with or without corrective lenses or whose greatest diameter of the field of vision in both eyes is 20 degrees or less.
Interesting. My friend told me he could get a pass because he was "blind." Guess he wasn't joking :lol:
Now I just have to wait for him to get his liscence. I've been waiting like...6 years so far :mad: lol
He died for me, I live for him.
Jun 20, 2009
46 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
solarflare600 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2009 4:43 pm
will i get flamed if i say OP needs better things to do...?
lol yeah, just a tad.
ever1221 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2009 4:43 pm
oh man, if only you know how many people use our tax money and claim to be disabled...in Hamilton if you take the barton bus you'd be surprised at how many people sit on wheel chairs and are not disabled...there are alot of people scamming our gov, who claim that they cannot work and are taxi drivers....its sad really sad
agreed there i know ppl who abused or r still abusing the system
molala wrote:
Jun 24th, 2009 5:01 pm
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... /app.shtml
A permit is register to a person's name rather than a vehicle. A by-passer certainly have no right to look at their permit as there are privacy information involved. If OP really "concern" about some people abusing it, then he could call the local parking enforecement to complain.

agreed
molala wrote:
Jun 24th, 2009 5:01 pm
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... /app.shtml
I don't think she knows anything. Bus drivers are not suppose to push him or assist anyone with their mibility device by any means because they weren't trained and there are liabilities issues involved. Many people who uses a wheelchair could walk, but just the matter of distance.
agreed on the last sentence but imo ur argument is generally flawed under the pretense that everyone who benefits from their disabled status is actually disabled. i know of a few cases where that is not so.
i am not saying that EVERYONE is pretending, im saying that some people are. and they cast a shadow on the rest. BTW, im the kind of person that gets up for older people on the TTC, so dont think im a totall poop-head
and Hamilton is just jokes. that place scares me >.>
Jun 20, 2009
46 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
molala wrote:
Jun 24th, 2009 5:45 pm
Just like anything else there are always people who abuse it. However, you could not visually judge whether or not someone has a disabilities.
cant argue there ^.^
× < >