Personal health insurance Non group coverage

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 6:45 am
[OP]
Feb 13, 2008
110 posts
21 upvotes

Personal health insurance Non group coverage

I had to go on long term disability with Manulife. I was working with a medical lab in Edmonton but the verbal abuse was so much after ten years I could not take it anymore. Inside my head was on fire. I could barely walk and talk. I saw a psychiatrist and he told me I am holding up a neon sign flashing severe depression. This was back in 2014. I am still on disability. For the first twenty eight months I was still considered an employee and I was in my employers group coverage.

Now that I am on my own I continued personal non-group coverage with Manulife. I am not happy with Manulife because they only cover fifty percent of the first eight psychologist visits. I found out Alberta Blue Cross is similar to Manulife.

Blue Cross covers up to ten thousand dollars of prescription medication but not pre-existing conditions.

Does anyone have any suggestions about non group insurance? Which other companies can I consider? Thank you.
6 replies
Apr 13, 2005
339 posts
24 upvotes
out of luck. Blue cross non-group is the cheapest drug plan in Alberta as it's subsidized by the government. All other private plans are pretty expensive with crappy benefits. Only way to get a good plan is thru an employer unfortunately.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2008
110 posts
21 upvotes
aaa111 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:18 pm
out of luck. Blue cross non-group is the cheapest drug plan in Alberta as it's subsidized by the government. All other private plans are pretty expensive with crappy benefits. Only way to get a good plan is thru an employer unfortunately.
Thanks man. Unfortunately Blue Cross will not cover my medications because I have a pre-existing condition depression.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2008
110 posts
21 upvotes
I could give away all my personal savings and then apply for Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH). But then I would feel like a free loader.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2008
110 posts
21 upvotes
You are absolutely correct. Thank you for the link.Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I have been speaking with them and they recommend the same plan.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2008
110 posts
21 upvotes
Thanks man. I am all signed up and even received my welcome package today.