• May 12th, 2009 11:43 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 20, 2005
535 posts
12 upvotes

Personal Income Tax when Umpiring Baseball

Thinking of umpiring to earn some cash on the side. I am told by a few people that the money I make is NOT taxable because the organization I am umpiring for is non profit. The only thing is, my company is utilizing a government program that basically puts its employees on part-time EI. I don't want my umpiring hobby to mess things up. Anyone know the official stance on this?

Thanks in advance.
Apr 30, 2008
426 posts
13 upvotes
YOUR INCOME IS TAXABLE!

If it wasn't, every tom dick and harry would create their own non profit and pay themselves 1M per year.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
4951 posts
570 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I'm not sure about different baseball associations, but hockey referees are paid by "honorarium". Anything over $500 is taxable income and should be declared.
May 1, 2009
55 posts
Abbotsford
If the organization is not for profit, they have to be accountable for every dollar, which means they will be reporting that they paid you. It is taxable income.

You can report it as casual income, and not have to pay EI or CPP premiums on it, but you will have to pay income tax on it.
[OP]
Oct 20, 2005
535 posts
12 upvotes
Thanks for the info. Thats pretty much what I was thinking but so many people told me otherwise.