• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 8:22 am
[OP]
Oct 18, 2013
551 posts
109 upvotes
Brampton

personal review of 2017 JAG XF

So, dropped my XJ in for some warranty work. Got a 2017 jaguar xf with 7000kms as a loaner.
just want to write a personal review of how i felt about the car incase someone is interested in buying the XF in the near future.

APPEARANCE
The jag got refreshed in 2015 and the new look came out.
The model i have is the 35T(highest spec engine i believe before the R) with r sport package.
in racing red.
i love the front because its very aggressive
rest of the car i feel nothing special about looks just like any other sedan, the previous models looked a lot better and special
(IMO)

DRIVING
now this is where the jag shines
it drives really nice IF you're looking for a sports sedan(not luxury)
handles really nice and stays planted well, little bit of body roll not much
the faster you turn the better it handles.
id say this handles better than the new 5 series
cant compare to the e class(havent driven yet)

Acceleration wise its mediocre, did some tests against my friends bmw(340i) and an audi S4
lost to both by a full car length. not so great

INTERIOR
The interior to me again is nothing special BUT thats because im spoiled by the XJ.
the LCD gauge cluster is nice and crisp, the center screen is also decent.
quality of materials can be made better but still its decent for a mid size luxury car.
the rising gear knob is nice but the materials around it can be better. feels like a ford around those areas not a jag

in conclusion though, maybe the new bmw 5 series or the new e class are better cars than this XF.
but when you drive the jaguar there is something about these cars, you feel more connected to them. kind of got a soulful vibe(you need to drive one to understand)
and also looking how everyone and their grandmother's got a bmw these days, id much rather go for the JAGGG.
28 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18895 posts
4117 upvotes
Toronto
which engine ?

any lag when you do hard acceleration ?
[OP]
Oct 18, 2013
551 posts
109 upvotes
Brampton
booblehead wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 3:15 pm
which engine ?

any lag when you do hard acceleration ?
Steven, no lag.
This has the 35T badge at the back. Dual mufflers
[OP]
Oct 18, 2013
551 posts
109 upvotes
Brampton
booblehead wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 3:36 pm
your Jag is running ok now Smiling Face With Open Mouth
You know the supercharge nose is getting replaced for the xj. The tech told me. Maybe they just throwing parts at it to charge the manufacturer
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41485 posts
10183 upvotes
I was reading an article on car and driver about the iPace and some of the comments were around poor reliability.

How do you find your jag's reliability?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15878 posts
4532 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:51 pm
I was reading an article on car and driver about the iPace and some of the comments were around poor reliability.

How do you find your jag's reliability?
F -Pace

How you liking your XJ man? I'm mad jealous. Was a hell of a treat the week I had an XJ loaner.

The XF has gone downhill luxury wise imo. I had a 2014 xf 3.0 supercharged as a loaner a few years ago and it was mediocre. Couldn't wait to get back into mine.

The XJ though....that's a different story. I wanted to steal it and take a road trip to Mexico.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15878 posts
4532 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Bluemist1967 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 4:56 pm
You know the supercharge nose is getting replaced for the xj. The tech told me. Maybe they just throwing parts at it to charge the manufacturer
All dealerships love part throwing lol

As long as it's not on your dime I say let them have at it!
Firebolt wrote:
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41485 posts
10183 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:25 pm
F -Pace

How you liking your XJ man? I'm mad jealous. Was a hell of a treat the week I had an XJ loaner.

The XF has gone downhill luxury wise imo. I had a 2014 xf 3.0 supercharged as a loaner a few years ago and it was mediocre. Couldn't wait to get back into mine.

The XJ though....that's a different story. I wanted to steal it and take a road trip to Mexico.
It was for the electric prototype. :)
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15878 posts
4532 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:34 pm
It was for the electric prototype. :)
Lol how many people have one of those? Like 8.5?
Firebolt wrote:
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41485 posts
10183 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:37 pm
Lol how many people have one of those? Like 8.5?
None. It's a prototype lol. Maybe one?

The comment is for Jaguar in general
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15878 posts
4532 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:38 pm
None. It's a prototype lol. Maybe one?

The comment is for Jaguar in general
Ah I see. Jags are more reliable but people's mindsets are stuck in the 80s and 90s. Fine by me though. I'll ride that depreciation curve like a boss.
Firebolt wrote:
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41485 posts
10183 upvotes
Tata > Ford? :)

I have no issues with depreciation either, upkeep is what would keep me up at night.
Apr 5, 2017
152 posts
131 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
May be Tata, but Jags still use Ford stuff. 2.0l turbo in the little Evoque/Discovery/Jag XE are ecoboost. The AWD system by GKN that they put in the Focus RS is being used in those as well, albeit, calibrated differently and with no "Drift Mode".
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7660 posts
291 upvotes
Brampton
I found the previous generation was a better car overall other than the outdated entertainment system. New one tries too much to be a sport sedan(which it does quite well) that it forgets that it needs to also be a luxury car for the price they charge. It felt like all the development money just went to the handling and suspension. Engine is okay but feels outdated and the Germans give better output.

Last is the interior. This is the biggest letdown of the car. IMO it feels lower grade than even the compact luxury segment(3 series, a4, c class etc). Interior quality is far to similar to the cheaper XE and overall design is too close to justify the price premium. Even the XE trails behind in interior quality compared to its competitors it’s not unreasonable for that segment especially if your main focus is handling.

For the segment right now it’s really between the 5 series or e class and the Volvo s90 if you want to try something different.