• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2009 10:14 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 24, 2006
589 posts
4 upvotes

personal trainer exam

Plan to do a challenge exam to become a personal trainer.

will receive the study guide and cd in a few days.

Can anyone give me some advice or heads up on what's required at the exam (written and practice test) :confused:

:lol:

416.712.3456 tel/text
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1912 posts
41 upvotes
Some topics the exam covers are:

anatomy, physiology, training philosophy, injuries, training styles, periodization

I just asked my friend who took a course last year before he became a personal trainer.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2099 posts
7 upvotes
Is this a requirement to get a job at premier fitness/ gyms etc?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
1826 posts
290 upvotes
heat wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 11:35 am
Is this a requirement to get a job at premier fitness/ gyms etc?
It's not required for a regular job at gyms, ie. CSR, Membership rep etc. however if you want to become a trainer at a gym then you'll have to be certified through Can-fit-pro.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
1826 posts
290 upvotes
marcopoloca wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2009 2:59 pm

Can anyone give me some advice or heads up on what's required at the exam (written and practice test) :confused:

416.712.3456 tel/text
Basically complete the entire text book & review the full CD, complete all of the practice tests in the supplement book. The written is 100 multiple choice + 1 complete case study. The practical is to design a program for a client (that your instructor will provide) and complete the client questionnaire in the supplement book using it. You then have to run through the program using someone acting as a client (friend/family member etc) and demonstrate how you would train them & instruct them on how to use equipment & perform the exercises.

The majority of the material is musculoskeletal anatomy & cardiorespiratory anatomy (about 70%) the other 30 is comprised of wellness, training and marketing. You need to know all of the formulas & tables for the test as well as abbreviations.

Passing mark is an 80 so prepare thoroughly.

Forgot to add... you must also complete CPR-A certification in order to receive your Personal Trainer's certification from Can-fit-pro.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2006
589 posts
4 upvotes
thank you for the heads up.

seem easy enough but never done a practical before, so just a bit nervous.

when i was at the gym the trainer didnt seem to do much :)
Feb 28, 2008
159 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario!
marcopoloca wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2009 2:59 pm

where could someone order a study guide and cd, sounds like good knowledge to have,
thanks
[OP]
Mar 24, 2006
589 posts
4 upvotes
man, all these specialized new terms are intimidating.

the text book is not exactly user friendly or easy to understand.

for example: anatomy of the lungs includes conchae, epiglottis larynx, trachea, pulmonary artery, right main bronchus, pharynx, glottis, esophagus, left main bronchus, pulmonary veins, alveoli, bronchiole :confused:

Can anyone remember all that?

i need help!
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2906 posts
63 upvotes
marcopoloca wrote:
Sep 21st, 2009 8:25 pm
man, all these specialized new terms are intimidating.

the text book is not exactly user friendly or easy to understand.

for example: anatomy of the lungs includes conchae, epiglottis larynx, trachea, pulmonary artery, right main bronchus, pharynx, glottis, esophagus, left main bronchus, pulmonary veins, alveoli, bronchiole :confused:

Can anyone remember all that?

i need help!
I took the Can-fit personal fitness course cause I was highly interested. Never had a problem with the anatomy cause I'm in the medical field. After taking the course, I lost all my interest in becoming a personal trainer. The exam shouldn't be too hard, all my friends have passed it.
Mar 18, 2005
926 posts
2 upvotes
I also passed the can-fit-pro exam. It was pretty easy, written and practical.

For the practical we were instructed to create a full body workout for a fit individual and take them through it.

Warm up --> Proper form --> Various stretches

Pretty basic.
× < >