• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2019 9:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 13, 2006
455 posts
167 upvotes

Personnal VPN with android client??

Hi! I'll first explain what I would like to do... Maybe it's not possible...

I have bell fibe tv and would like to watch it uaing my fire stick and the fibe app remotely.

Bell only allow the app to work if on my home network.

So what i would like is setup a vpn from my home, use my fire stick and connect to that vpn... So that the fibe app go trough my home network and think its on a Bell network!

Sound possible? Or i'm not understanding VPN well enough..

I'm subscribed to nordvpn... But i don't think it fulfill what I would like to do bow...
12 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3800 posts
980 upvotes
GTA
In theory, this should work since a VPN will allow you to connect back to your home network and make it seem is if the device is physically there. I don't personally have experience with the fire stick though but as long as it can utilize an android client VPN app, I would guess it should work just fine.

There are a lot of ways to setup a personal VPN on your home network so it would help if you list what kind of devices you already own. Sometimes a VPN can be hosted on your home router, a server, or if you have a Synology NAS, or even something like a Raspberry Pi. No, a VPN service like nordvpn has nothing to do with this sort of thing.

To start off, you could look into OpenVPN or WireGuard
[OP]
Dec 13, 2006
455 posts
167 upvotes
Cool thank!

Well i have an asus AC-86U behind the Bell HH3000

I dont use the HH3000... The Asus router is using my bell credential and doing the routing.

I jave an always on desktop behind that couls also host something if needed
[OP]
Dec 13, 2006
455 posts
167 upvotes
Dave98 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 7:57 pm
I would take a look at the following. It should apply to that Asus

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1008713/
And how will my client connect to that server using the ovpn file? I need to somehow setup a static IP?

Does the ovpn file magically route the client to the right server IP?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
22582 posts
8302 upvotes
This is absolutely possible.
I'm not sure it's possible with your current router, especially if it's stock.
3rd party firmware would work, but a quick search says your router isn't supported (DD-WRT, either that or I'm blind)

The short of it is that you don't have to pay someone for VPN. In this case you would be acting as the provider.

I'm going to use OpenVPN because that's what I'm familiar with, but the process is similar for other technologies.

Install OpenVPN client on your Fire stick.
Install OpenVPN server locally somewhere (be it router if it supports it, your computer as long as it stays on, another device, etc)
Set up your router for dynamic DNS. This allows you to connect even if your IP changes.
Configure a server. There's tons of tutorials on the internet for this.
Configure your client. See above.

The important bit you want to add to your config is "push redirect-gateway def1"
This will push all your traffic through your home connection.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3800 posts
980 upvotes
GTA
grisensko wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 8:27 pm
And how will my client connect to that server using the ovpn file? I need to somehow setup a static IP?

Does the ovpn file magically route the client to the right server IP?
Static IP or use a dynamic DNS service like afraid.org or duckdns.org. Both free. If your IP rarely changes, this isn't necessary but it helps.
[OP]
Dec 13, 2006
455 posts
167 upvotes
Thanks for your help all!

Unfortunatly It doesn't look like it's working :(

I got the VPN and the DDNS working. But Bell apps seem smart enough to detect something is missing.

The Test I Did:

Using My Android phone, on LTE Band, I connected to My OpenVPN Server. Then I did a WIFI connection share to test the FireStick

I connected the FireStick to the Shared connection.
The bell fibe app gave me the same error : Need to be connected on the home wifi.
* I'll find a way to bypass my cell phone eventually, and have OpenVPN directly on the Stick... but it's not on Amazon store and I need to find a version I can Sideload first

I then tried directly on my phone. Bell App on cell phone work from everywhere, it does not need to be on home network, however there is 2 connection methods Simple (Who detect if it's on Bell network itself), and Best (Who ask for credential).
Using the VPN, I was unable to get the Simple method to work.
The important bit you want to add to your config is "push redirect-gateway def1"
This will push all your traffic through your home connection.
Where should I write that? I tried in client.conf? but it didn't change anything.
[OP]
Dec 13, 2006
455 posts
167 upvotes
Hmm ok so it appear my test is not 100% right..

Apparently Android Hotspot doesn't go trough the VPN. I would need root and special apps...

So i'll investigate furter in installing open vpn on the firestick.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
22582 posts
8302 upvotes
grisensko wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 9:17 am
Where should I write that? I tried in client.conf? but it didn't change anything.
That's server side.
So i'll investigate furter in installing open vpn on the firestick.
I'm confident that'll work.
Apr 30, 2014
145 posts
38 upvotes
JittyEh
grisensko wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 9:17 am

The Test I Did:

Using My Android phone, on LTE Band, I connected to My OpenVPN Server. Then I did a WIFI connection share to test the FireStick
That is not how you do it.

You must run the Bell App on the device where you installed the OpenVPN Client. That OpenVPN Client must connect to your OpenVPN Server at home.
[OP]
Dec 13, 2006
455 posts
167 upvotes
It work!! Excellent!

I'm home.. so I had to try using my phone hotspot, but installed OpenVPN on the stick and the Bell Fibe App work!

With the Asus AC86 router it was really easy, had nothing special to do. Used Asus Free DDNS, OpenVPN Server, and checked the Allow internet use checkbox.

Hardest part was to setup openvpn on firestick! The Firestick have no mouse and OpenVPN app are designed with touch in mind :(

Thanks to all