None
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1221 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto

Pesticides and Fruits & Vegetables

I've been trying to find info on this but have not been successful:

I know that pesticides are sprayed onto fruits and vegetables, and hence cleaning them topically helps. However, some of the pesticides seep into the ground during and after spraying. Are these pesticides absorbed into the fruits and vegetables as well?

I'm trying to determine if I should go organic altogether (a very expensive proposition) or that I can just go with an effective pesticide cleaning device such as the Lotus Sanitzing System. Any insights are much appreciated!
27 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2807 posts
21 upvotes
Soap & water works for cleaning the skins of fruits and vegetables. Some pesticides penetrate the skins of fruits like apples so buying organic would be the only way to eliminate your pesticide consumption.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1088 posts
63 upvotes
Grimsby
How would they keep blight and other blemishes off apples without sprays?

Many years ago a Norfolk, Ontario farmer was on a Sunday morning talk show. He was asked about providing Canadian foods to the masses.

He explained that for a farmer to produce 100,000lbs of product for the market they would need to grow 200,000lbs. His explanation was simple, all customers today expect perfectly shaped fruits and veggies of a predetermined size and colouring. By the time the blemished, misshaped and over and under sized stuff was removed he suggested you would then have the amount you set out to send to market. It was a very interesting and enlightening talk.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1221 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
Oh I'm aware that without pesticides/chemicals, we should expect smaller, less tasty, ugly and bug ridden fruits and vegetables. It'll be more like what our parents, grandparents and generations before them grew up with. It's either that or infuse our bodies and the bodies of our loved ones with chemicals.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1221 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote:
Jun 24th, 2008 10:53 am
Well, I only buy organic for strawberries and blueberries because they spray pesticides more on these and it's harder to clean. Products like bananas, I buy the regular stuff.
Yup, that's the same strategy that I've adopted so far, but I sure miss those cheap berries and cherries :cry:

The Lotus Sanitizing System claims to emliminate 99% of all pesticides on fruits and vegetables, but I guess it is topical pesticides that are eliminated, anything already absorbed into the fruits and vegetables can't conceivably be eliminated. I can't seem to find anywhere how much residual pesticides are left behind even after peeling the skin off fruits such as apples.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16130 posts
357 upvotes
Etobicoke
Gidget wrote:
Jun 24th, 2008 11:26 am
Here is a link that lists 12 fruits/vegetables that have the highest pesticides in them.

http://www.canadianliving.com/health/nu ... rganic.php

K...that's something I'd rather not have read...lol. Yeah, berries I try to buy organic because you can't wash them too much without making them mushy. Broccolli is another one that's hard to clean completely, so I buy that organic too.
Avril Lavigne Black Star Parfum & Cineplex Night out for Two $126, Leapster Gaming System worth $59.99 US; Trip to Cuba ARV $2000; Cineplex Movie ticket (iCoke/Nestea contest)$10; Palaria Clothing Hoody $69;Joe Fresh GC $25; 4 tics for Ted Nugent Concert; Joe Fresh Make-up Kit $50.00; $25 Bath & Body Works GC (Fresh Fiction contest for DiAnn Mills); $1000 in TD Exlusive Offers contest; $100 necklace from an on-the-spot draw while shopping at Sears
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1221 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
For a more complete list, check this out:

http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

According to the guide, broccoli has one of the lowest level of pesticides, so I normally don't purchase organic for that. Same for asparagus.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16130 posts
357 upvotes
Etobicoke
jjtsl wrote:
Jun 24th, 2008 12:44 pm
For a more complete list, check this out:

http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

According to the guide, broccoli has one of the lowest level of pesticides, so I normally don't purchase organic for that. Same for asparagus.
Wow, what a pleasant surprise! I just assumed that because it's hard to clean within the flowerets it would be more contaminated...hmmm, so I can go back to regular ole broccolli...cool...thanks for the info jjtsl!
Avril Lavigne Black Star Parfum & Cineplex Night out for Two $126, Leapster Gaming System worth $59.99 US; Trip to Cuba ARV $2000; Cineplex Movie ticket (iCoke/Nestea contest)$10; Palaria Clothing Hoody $69;Joe Fresh GC $25; 4 tics for Ted Nugent Concert; Joe Fresh Make-up Kit $50.00; $25 Bath & Body Works GC (Fresh Fiction contest for DiAnn Mills); $1000 in TD Exlusive Offers contest; $100 necklace from an on-the-spot draw while shopping at Sears
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4315 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
wow.. spinach has more pesticides than cherries! I would have thought Cherries would be #1 in Pesticides
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1221 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
Nikita wrote:
Jun 24th, 2008 1:00 pm
Wow, what a pleasant surprise! I just assumed that because it's hard to clean within the flowerets it would be more contaminated...hmmm, so I can go back to regular ole broccolli...cool...thanks for the info jjtsl!
I'm no expert, but I think the level of pesticides is dependent on which fruits and vegetables are more susceptible to bugs.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3955 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Never ceases to amaze me the ignorance of some people when it comes to pesticide use. Just because it says it is organic does not mean that it is pesticide free. In Canada the last time I checked there is no national regulations as to the amount of pesticide in any single product that can be labeled "organic".

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1221 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
I want to do what is best for my family, including providing them with food that has less chemicals and poisons. You are probably right that organic labelling is used loosely, but there are farm cooperatives out there that require their members not to use pesticides, such as:
http://www.cog.ca/whatisorganic.htm

On their website, they tell you where you can buy organic food:
http://www.cog.ca/buyorganic.htm

I am not affiliated to them in anyway, but am just concerned for the health of my loved ones and the environmental impact on the overuse of pesticides and chemicals.
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
You're absolutely 100% correct Dave. There are no regulations in place in Canada regarding using the "organic" moniker. It's all self-regulating, which as most know doesn't make one have a lot of faith in the system. This is an area that the Canadian gov't has been very slow to react to and govern. After dealing with this very issue as a beef producer and hubby being a produce buyer what we tell people is this.... If organic is important to you, buy US certified organic produce and meats. Their regulations are strict and enforced with both spot checks, soil testing and random testing of product.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6201 posts
73 upvotes
Ah crap. So organic in canada is pretty much pointless. :(

Oh well, it's summer and I buy everything I can from a local farm. I'll ask them if they use pesticides and if they use lots or not (they know me pretty well).
× < >