• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2016 1:20 am
Tags:
[OP]
May 3, 2016
327 posts
22 upvotes

Pet air travel

Re pet carrier size, I understand there's a minimum requirement. However, is it true that the bigger the better?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2991 posts
457 upvotes
I am going to guess by this post that your pup will be flying in cargo rather than in cabin. I would check with the airlines.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5109 posts
1014 upvotes
Mississauga
wyho007 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 10:05 pm
Re pet carrier size, I understand there's a minimum requirement. However, is it true that the bigger the better?
Each airline has their own rules...

If your pet is flying on the same plane as you, there is a maximum size for the pet carrier.... They will be going into the oversize compartment so there are restrictions...
[OP]
May 3, 2016
327 posts
22 upvotes
Mine is a 7lb 2 year old mixed Pomeranian Chihuahua. Her current carrier's size services well every night for a 8 hour crate time during sleep and she loves her little den. However, the travel she'll take involves 21 hours (2 flights and 1 transit). I've done all research I can, that's the best option available. That's why I'm just wondering if getting her a bigger carrier will help her get relatively more comfortable during those 24 hours.
Sep 24, 2006
596 posts
60 upvotes
Guelph, On
Four cats flew Westjet cargo - Hamilton to Toronto by car, then Toronto to Regina by air and Regina to Toronto, then car to Guelph. I bought the large dog crate and two cats went into one crate and two went into the other. Two cats had ample room to sit, walk around and lay down. With my cats I used a calming collar which worked amazing and they have SENTRY Calming Collar for Dogs , They were fine on both trip.
[OP]
May 3, 2016
327 posts
22 upvotes
There's no sentry collar for sale here.

For point of reference, my dog is 30cm tall (stand straight) and 40cm long (nose to tail) and her current carrier is 60 cm long, 40cm tall and 40 cm wide.

Wondering if I should get her an even bigger carrier for the long 24 hour air travel. Hope you can share your thoughts.
Banned
Oct 27, 2016
34 posts
9 upvotes
Some animals owners can't imagine how their pets can travel alone in the cargo cabin of the aircraft. They are nervous that their pets heart could break because of fear and always take them in the passenger cabin. However, as I know, some air carriers have a rule that if in the cabin at the same time there are a cat and a dog, the advantage is given to the dog, therefore cat is placed in the cargo cabin :(. That is why in order to avoid such complications, I strongly recommend you before your travel to contact your airline directly so that to clarify all the details.
[OP]
May 3, 2016
327 posts
22 upvotes
miradolche wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 2:17 pm
Some animals owners can't imagine how their pets can travel alone in the cargo cabin of the aircraft. They are nervous that their pets heart could break because of fear and always take them in the passenger cabin. However, as I know, some air carriers have a rule that if in the cabin at the same time there are a cat and a dog, the advantage is given to the dog, therefore cat is placed in the cargo cabin :(. That is why in order to avoid such complications, I strongly recommend you before your travel to contact your airline directly so that to clarify all the details.
I wish there's a choice. The airline and the only airline available doesn't allow any pets in the cabin, period.
Nov 7, 2008
92 posts
9 upvotes
I would say bigger is not better. You want a crate that your dog can comfortably stand up in and turn around in. Because essentially that's all they'll be doing. It's check with the airline if they will be taking your dog out of the crate or if that's an option? 21+ hours is a long time
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1904 posts
603 upvotes
Brampton, ON
When I worked the ramp at the airport we would have animals of all shapes and sizes fly in the cargo hold bays. Those bays are built big enough to house VERY large crates so you should not have much of a problem with your small dog in a big crate.

On a moral note: I hated seeing many animals get into the cargo bay with their whole bodies shaking because they were afraid. What was worse was unloading these crates because 9 out of 10 times the dog/cat has shit herself and it is nasty. I feel the animal does not like sitting in its own feces for x hour flight in a dark hole of an airplane. Anyways, just buy a crate big enough to let the dog be semi free and maybe look into some kind of sedative if it is a dog who gets anxious etc. I saw this done especially for large dogs like huskies etc.
Banned
Jul 12, 2016
329 posts
179 upvotes
They said my cat could have died while 17 hours flight as he was a very emotional cat so I had to leave him with my family . It was sad but at least my cat is healthy in his home.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2991 posts
457 upvotes
OP - speak with the airlines regarding crate size for YOUR dog as well as any allowable sedatives etc. (some will not be allowed).

Also speak with your vet about sedatives etc.

It would be hard to find a dog more emotional than our dog, but he would prefer to go with us than be left behind. He does go to the groomer and to home based dog boarding - all of his caregivers are connected to each other and he knows them well. Once I am out of there he is extremely well behaved and wants to fit in.

Many years ago we had to fly a mid size dog and a cat half way across the country. They were not happy about it but survived very well. I have heard all of the horror stories about dogs and cats flying in cargo but since we had no choice and giving up our pets was not an option for us or our pets we took the chance - both ways.
[OP]
May 3, 2016
327 posts
22 upvotes
Collar or no collar when the pet is in the crate? Some people say yes (dog should always have name tag) and some say no (may choke on it). Anyone can share your experience?

My pup is a Chihuahua mixed so she wears harness instead of a collar during daily walks due to her weak trachea by nature. We have her collar/harness free other times. In her upcoming air travel, she'll be in the crate for 24 hours.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
1879 posts
255 upvotes
wyho007 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 7:07 pm
Collar or no collar when the pet is in the crate? Some people say yes (dog should always have name tag) and some say no (may choke on it). Anyone can share your experience?

My pup is a Chihuahua mixed so she wears harness instead of a collar during daily walks due to her weak trachea by nature. We have her collar/harness free other times. In her upcoming air travel, she'll be in the crate for 24 hours.

damn 24 hours in the crate with no potty break?
Some people meditate, I smoke cigars.