Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8669 posts
1390 upvotes
兩最大

pet euthanasia

Sad topic, I know, and it came up because another member's thread came up and it was mentioned that the fateful day is coming.

Re the topic, for common pets, are dog owners the only one that has to go through this difficult decision? I suppose for horse owners also. If yes, what is the reason, it is mainly re cost as usually dogs costs the most? Not sure if I'm expressing myself properly.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6239 posts
3396 upvotes
Edmonton
tranquility922 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 2:01 am
Sad topic, I know, and it came up because another member's thread came up and it was mentioned that the fateful day is coming.

Re the topic, for common pets, are dog owners the only one that has to go through this difficult decision? I suppose for horse owners also. If yes, what is the reason, it is mainly re cost as usually dogs costs the most? Not sure if I'm expressing myself properly.
Why would dog owners be the only one to have to go through this? Cat owners, and I would suspect many other "larger" animal owners (rabbits, pigs, etc) would have to make these decisions as well.

I would guess most reptiles and fish pass away on their own.

C
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2282 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
I went though this a few years ago with my car. His health was slowly going. Lost 10% of his weight and We brought him to our usual vet, and from the initial examination, she said from experience there's no recovering from this. She based it on "feeling" his body that his kidneys were really small, and based on the age, there was not much she can do. She didn't even bother taking a blood test to confirm. I wasn't satisfied with her answer, so we got a second opinion weeks after. By this time, He has lost 50-60% of his weight and the new vet did the tests, kept him under observation, tried IV as well, and $2500 vet bill after, she arrived with the same conclusion however with the statistics to base her answer. She didn't know how much time he has left, but he for sure isn't feeling well and he has slowly suffering.

We took him home for a few more weeks to say our goodbyes, and that was it.

Was I upset that I spent 2500$ on the same conclusion? No, not at all. However, I can say that I have a peace of mind that my decision was based on facts, and not a estimation and that I tried to the best of my ability to help him.
Apr 25, 2011
796 posts
341 upvotes
British Columbia
I don't understand your question regarding cost. Dogs do cost more to euthanize if they are a larger dog but the decision to go forward is no less difficult if it is a cat.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8669 posts
1390 upvotes
兩最大
Sorry for what some of the posters have gone through.

I guess I asked the question since I always hear about dog owners w this difficult decision but not any other pet owner. Now I know that cat owners unfortunately have gone through this as well.
Apr 30, 2018
7 posts
2 upvotes
I had to do it with a hamster once. He had testicular cancer.
Most people laughed at me when I did it because "it's just a hamster". But he was a living creature that was in pain. Plus he was one of my favourites, a total sweetheart.
I think it cost about $45 or so, but that was probably 8 or so years ago.
It broke my heart having to do it, and you could tell it broke the vet's too. He was a great vet, he saw almost all of my hamsters for one reason or another over the years.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)