• Jun 28th, 2018 2:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13170 posts
2121 upvotes
Toronto

Pet laser toy question

What is the difference between a pet laser toy sold at Dollarama for $1.50 and the one sold at Pet Valu for $6.99?
Are they both safe? How do they compare in quality etc?
10 replies
Jan 24, 2018
136 posts
29 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
May 20th, 2018 1:45 am
What is the difference between a pet laser toy sold at Dollarama for $1.50 and the one sold at Pet Valu for $6.99?
Are they both safe? How do they compare in quality etc?
the difference is that pet valu and other pet stores rip you off. why would a laser pointer not be safe? obviously you're not supposed to shine it at your pets face/eyes. if youre using the laser pointer at the walls/carpets ur fine. i bought the dollarama one
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13170 posts
2121 upvotes
Toronto
jimmysack wrote:
May 20th, 2018 2:40 am
the difference is that pet valu and other pet stores rip you off. why would a laser pointer not be safe? obviously you're not supposed to shine it at your pets face/eyes. if youre using the laser pointer at the walls/carpets ur fine. i bought the dollarama one
The funny thing is, this means Dollarama could have gotten away with charging $4, but they don't.
We're not talking 50 cents or a dollar difference here, we're talking a major difference in price.
So, the battery doesn't last longer?
No difference at all? WOW!! Talk about major mark up!!
Thanks for the info!
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10467 posts
1201 upvotes
Also give the cat/dog a reward after chasing the laser pointer for a while. For example, let him chase around the laser and you place a treat beside you without your pet noticing. Then move the pointer to the treat and that's their reward.

It gives them the feeling of accomplishment by catching the prey. Just getting them to chase a laser pointer with no rewards is the animal equivalent to blue balls.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17783 posts
1437 upvotes
Niagara Falls
joeyjoejoe wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 1:28 pm
Also give the cat/dog a reward after chasing the laser pointer for a while. For example, let him chase around the laser and you place a treat beside you without your pet noticing. Then move the pointer to the treat and that's their reward.

It gives them the feeling of accomplishment by catching the prey. Just getting them to chase a laser pointer with no rewards is the animal equivalent to blue balls.
You shouldn't use a laser pointer with a dog. Dog's don't like not being able to catch the object.
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifes ... -than-fun/

OP, either get one from the dollar store and be ok when it breaks down or buy a decent on on Amazon that will have a much stronger beam and last longer, skip the pet store.
May 23, 2018
9 posts
1 upvote
Evil Baby wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 1:34 pm
You shouldn't use a laser pointer with a dog. Dog's don't like not being able to catch the object.
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifes ... -than-fun/

OP, either get one from the dollar store and be ok when it breaks down or buy a decent on on Amazon that will have a much stronger beam and last longer, skip the pet store.
I agree. Pet stores are such rip offs.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13170 posts
2121 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Excellent point about treats.
& yes, it is a cat that I have. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

One more thing to note: For $1.50 (Dollarama) the pet laser also comes with interchangeable tips, but they're small and very easy to misplace.
I'm learning that the smarter option is to invest a bit more money (not the $6.99 Pet valu one)
so I can have a built in switch that rotates each dot/pattern without having any fear of misplacing any parts of the laser toy, all while possibly creating an illusion for the cat of something new to chase.
Jan 24, 2018
136 posts
29 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 1:36 am
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Excellent point about treats.
& yes, it is a cat that I have. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

One more thing to note: For $1.50 (Dollarama) the pet laser also comes with interchangeable tips, but they're small and very easy to misplace.
I'm learning that the smarter option is to invest a bit more money (not the $6.99 Pet valu one)
so I can have a built in switch that rotates each dot/pattern without having any fear of misplacing any parts of the laser toy, all while possibly creating an illusion for the cat of something new to chase.
dude what are u complaining about
you just saved like $5 if u think the heads will misplace easily then store them somewhere
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13170 posts
2121 upvotes
Toronto
jimmysack wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 1:48 am
dude what are u complaining about
you just saved like $5 if u think the heads will misplace easily then store them somewhere
I'm learning that it's still better to invest in one with a switch, not one where you have to replace the parts.
It's also very easy to accidentally drop one of those tiny parts...cat might react like it's one of her toys...if so, it's a goner! She'll most likely chase it and hide it before I can stop her. She loves to hide cat toys often.
Penalty Box
Apr 6, 2017
93 posts
199 upvotes
Your cat will get so stressed out if you use a laser pointer and never let it win. If you are going to go that route, you should get them a Cat Scratcher so they can at least claw away there stress and not at your couches
being a mod must be 1 of the worst feelings ever
you come on rfd and half this place is filled with lowest dregs of society and my taxes go to them to keep them alive
mods have power on the internet meanwhile most of them are the lowest members in society
Jun 13, 2018
22 posts
13 upvotes
Just fyi all cheap laser pointers are trash and they don't last. I went through 4 cheap ones for my cat before giving up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)