Off Topic Archive

Locked: Pet overpopulation. Should we start eating (more) dog/cat in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2006 11:26 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Should Canadians increase their consumption of dog?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
2505 posts
143 upvotes

Pet overpopulation. Should we start eating (more) dog/cat in Canada?

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... hotpot.JPG[/IMG]

In some Asian as well as European countries, apart from being kept as pets, certain breeds of dogs are raised on farms and slaughtered for their meat. This may be as an alternative source of meat or for specific medicinal benefits attributed to various parts of a dog.

Edit: I have been asked why cats are not included in the poll? Well, this was created after reading an article in Wiki about dogs....but I have added it to the title for those that wish to see equality among pets(??)
Share:
85 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20297 posts
2259 upvotes
YUL
Gross. I'd never eat a dog.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4725 posts
629 upvotes
Calgary
Can dog be kosher or halal?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1229 upvotes
Sauga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat

If there's an overpopulation of dogs, can't you just restrict them from breeding so much?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41078 posts
4866 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
KsprayDad wrote:[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... hotpot.JPG[/IMG]

In some Asian as well as European countries, apart from being kept as pets, certain breeds of dogs are raised on farms and slaughtered for their meat. This may be as an alternative source of meat or for specific medicinal benefits attributed to various parts of a dog.
id like to hear what people say about this?
Altho it seems weird on our side of the world.. i dont see it different from other meat since they are raised and slaughtered on farms like we do with chickens and cows.

I personally... could not eat a dog. I been raised to look @ them as human companions.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
65 upvotes
i'm having a hard enough time trying to eat all the cows and chickens in canada. maybe when mad cow and bird flu come to fruition I'll change my diet to dog meat.
Back for a limited engagement.
Banned
May 24, 2006
464 posts
1 upvote
hell no, and to get the facts straight I have grown up with Asians all my life and have not met one person who has eaten dogs or cats. Not even their family members. Now this is about a total of 26 friends. Everytime I've gone to their houses and had their food, it is far from the ignorance people of non Asian descent try to portray.

I don't understand why this generalization keeps occuring alongside the word Asian. It pisses me off honestly.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20297 posts
2259 upvotes
YUL
15-20_God wrote:i'm having a hard enough time trying to eat all the cows and chickens in canada. maybe when mad cow and bird flu come to fruition I'll change my diet to dog meat.
By then, we'll have 'Mad Dog Flu Disease'.
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
There have been lots of rabbits running around in my backyard. Last year they kept eating out of my vegetable garden. All restaurants should begin adding rabbit dishes to their menus.
Little Boy Blue. He needed the money.

Oh!
Banned
May 24, 2006
464 posts
1 upvote
15-20_God wrote:i'm having a hard enough time trying to eat all the cows and chickens in canada. maybe when mad cow and bird flu come to fruition I'll change my diet to dog meat.

If that ever happens, why not just turn Vegan?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1229 upvotes
Sauga
Cough wrote:Can dog be kosher or halal?
Like pigs, dogs can never be halal for eating because they're inherently impure. I assume it's similar for being kosher.
May 13, 2004
905 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
mocha_keisha wrote:hell no, and to get the facts straight I have grown up with Asians all my life and have not met one person who has eaten dogs or cats. Not even their family members. Now this is about a total of 26 friends. Everytime I've gone to their houses and had their food, it is far from the ignorance people of non Asian descent try to portray.

I don't understand why this generalization keeps occuring alongside the word Asian. It pisses me off honestly.
If you ever travel to Asia, pay attention to the huge discrepancies between the number of stray dogs and stray cats on the street ;)
Banned
May 24, 2006
464 posts
1 upvote
Asun wrote:If you ever travel to Asia, pay attention to the huge discrepancies between the number of stray dogs and stray cats on the street ;)

Are you saying any and all parts of Asia? Asia is one huge continent you know. I think to oversimply and generalize the whole continent would be unfair.

P/s a friend of mines from a certain part of Africa told me some of the rural people there eat a certain breed of dogs. I'm sure the world would not expect that though.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4725 posts
629 upvotes
Calgary
kspray could you please post support for your contention that there is dog overpopulation or you might be classified with NG as just stirring up sh!t. :twisted: