Off Topic Archive

Locked: Pet overpopulation. Should we start eating (more) dog/cat in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2006 11:26 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Should Canadians increase their consumption of dog?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2150 posts
439 upvotes
I've eaten dog before when I was 3. My parents fed it to me on a trip to Korea. Supposedly I wanted seconds, but they ran out. It is called Boh-shin-taang: a dog stew.

It is a fairly big market over in Korea. At least it was until the Western civilizations started putting pressure on Korea to stop the practice. Now it is an underground, "hush hush", culinary fare.

On the lighter side of things check this link out. Quite funny (NOT REAL).

Petsorfood
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24240 posts
1505 upvotes
Markham, ON
...another asians eat dog thread... :|

why limit to dogs...include cats while you're at it :rolleyes:

btw...what does it mean by should canadians increase their consumption of dogs?

so if no...does that mean...canadians should continue their current rate of consumption of dogs? :rolleyes:
Mar 23, 2006
418 posts
5 upvotes
I voted no. Not because eating dogs is disgusting (no more so than eating many other meats), but because you're pretty much suggesting that maybe we should eat any stray animal we find to reduce their population. If so then we'd be eating diseased rats and racoons. If not, then you're suggesting that we breed even more of these overpopulated animals for consumption, not even fixing the problem at all.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
2505 posts
143 upvotes
mocha_keisha wrote:hell no, and to get the facts straight I have grown up with Asians all my life and have not met one person who has eaten dogs or cats. Not even their family members. Now this is about a total of 26 friends. Everytime I've gone to their houses and had their food, it is far from the ignorance people of non Asian descent try to portray.

I don't understand why this generalization keeps occuring alongside the word Asian. It pisses me off honestly.
Please note that my words were not mine but directly from Wiki...

Your comment about ignorance....well, again according to Wiki..China alone consumes over 20 million dogs per year...

For instance...it is still legal to kill and eat your own dog in Hawaii even today.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:

SECTION 1. The legislature finds that, while killing dogs and other companion animals for food is unacceptable in many societies, it is a widespread practice in others. Critics of the consumption of dog meat cite inhumane killing and unsanitary slaughter methods as some of the reasons to condemn the practice. Currently, a person may consume dog meat in Hawaii if it is from the person's own dog and it has been killed in a humane fashion. It is illegal, however, to steal someone else's dog and a violation of animal control laws to seize a stray dog and not surrender it to an animal control officer. Yet, there is no law specifically prohibiting the sale, purchase, or other distribution of stray or stolen dogs or cats for human consumption, whether humanely slaughtered or not.

The legislature further finds that, while the killing and sale of dogs for food is not a common practice in Hawaii, the Honolulu police department and the Hawaiian Humane Society have recently received reports of the illegal seizure and gruesome slaughter of dogs for meat. There have also been reports on Oahu of people selling stolen or stray dogs for consumption. The purpose of this Act is to prohibit the killing and sale, purchase, or other distribution of stray or stolen dogs or cats for human consumption.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20216 posts
2153 upvotes
YUL
Cough wrote:[IMG]http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/dog-meat-01_small.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/dog-meat-02_small.jpg[/IMG]

Seriously, if you ever contemplate eating dog or think it is acceptable, look at the sad pictures on this site
My Gosh...that website is quite 'in your face.' I didn't enlarge any of the pics since I can't stand looking at torture, but it's disgusting to read about the attrocities. IF YOU'RE GOING TO KILL AN ANIMAL, ANY ANIMAL, FOR WHATEVER REASON, THE LEAST YOU CAN DO IS KILL IT HUMANELY AND AS PAINLESS AS POSSIBLE!
Banned
May 24, 2006
464 posts
1 upvote
thelefteyeguy wrote:...another asians eat dog thread... :|

so if no...does that mean...canadians should continue their current rate of consumption of dogs? :rolleyes:

LOL, or how about the "Asians causing traffic accidents thread"

SARCASTIC COUGH COUGH.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
65 upvotes
Cough wrote: Seriously, if you ever contemplate eating dog or think it is acceptable, look at the
i guess you've never been to a butcher or chinese supermarket?
Back for a limited engagement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
2505 posts
143 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:...another asians eat dog thread... :|

1. This isn't an Asians eat dog thread unless people make it that way.
2. If added cats.
3. According to Wiki...in tough times those who live/lived in the Canadian Arctic have had to resort to eating dog...thus my wording.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, Canada

Artic explorers routinely ate their dogs.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24240 posts
1505 upvotes
Markham, ON
KsprayDad wrote:1. This isn't an Asians eat dog thread unless people make it that way.
2. If added cats.
3. According to Wiki...in tough times those who live/lived in the Canadian Arctic have had to resort to eating dog...thus my wording.

your 3rd word in your post was "ASIAN"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
65 upvotes
KsprayDad wrote:1. This isn't an Asians eat dog thread unless people make it that way.
2. If added cats.
why don't we add cows to that list as well because in some religions and customs eating cow is socially unacceptable.
Back for a limited engagement.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4799 posts
60 upvotes
Local
..............who locks dogs up in cages and kills them a plenty? ASIA! wtf!........ :( ..........
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17074 posts
675 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
i'm veggie, so i don't need to deal with such moral conundrums... thank goodness.

but the rest of you... should be chowing down on some HOT DAWG, eh? :twisted:
Sep 18, 2003
268 posts
oh man here it comes.. this thread is going to end up being a China/Chinese bashing thread...

I see it coming...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
2505 posts
143 upvotes
Cough wrote:kspray could you please post support for your contention that there is dog overpopulation or you might be classified with NG as just stirring up sh!t. :twisted:
Check how many dogs are put down at your local Humane Society... or type 'dog overpopulation Canada' into Google and read the threads...I think its clear.