Off Topic Archive

Locked: Pet overpopulation. Should we start eating (more) dog/cat in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2006 11:26 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Should Canadians increase their consumption of dog?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
2505 posts
143 upvotes
15-20_God wrote:why don't we add cows to that list as well because in some religions and customs eating cow is socially unacceptable.
Because I'd like to hear what people are saying about dog meat.

I guess we could start a whole vegitarian vs non debate but that isn't what the thread is about.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
2505 posts
143 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:your 3rd word in your post was "ASIAN"
And the 7th word is European...oh, and Canada is implicated in the title...blah blah blah...

The text is from WIKI not ME. Why not just focus on the question?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1519 upvotes
Markham, ON
KsprayDad wrote:Check how many dogs are put down at your local Humane Society... or type 'dog overpopulation Canada' into Google and read the threads...I think its clear.
India and CHina is overpopulated...why not legalize cannibalism too?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
2505 posts
143 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:India and CHina is overpopulated...why not legalize cannibalism too?
Because that is a different thread question??
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
john widow wrote:..............who locks dogs up in cages and kills them a plenty? ASIA! wtf!........ :( ..........
we do that with chicken here..what's the diff? damn north americans
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1519 upvotes
Markham, ON
KsprayDad wrote:Because that is a different thread question??
if you want to play games....then wtf do you mean should we start eating (MORE) dog/cat in Canada?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20306 posts
2295 upvotes
YUL
READ THIS PEOPLE

Wether your culture eats cow, chicken, dog, cat, etc....the point isn't really what you eat, but rather HOW it's killed.

I don't agree with eating cat or dog, but if it's your culture, then so be it, I respect that. What I do not respect is the inhumane killing practices of any of those animals. THat's what the fuss is all about. Look at how the beat those dogs BEFORE killing them, in order to make the meat more tender and for the adrenaline of the dog to make it more tender.

THAT is totally unacceptable, and if I ever saw someone doing that to an animal, I'd probably go and beat the sh!t outta them, because I couldn not stand seeing that, and it's simply not right!!!
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
17113 posts
682 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
i think you guys should consult with the Canine Council before proceeding with your nefarious plans to eat more pus... err, cats/dogs.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
65 upvotes
KsprayDad wrote:Because I'd like to hear what people are saying about dog meat.
my view is other that it being stigmatized as socially unacceptable in north america i have no problems with other countries or cultures eating it.
Back for a limited engagement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
2505 posts
143 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:if you want to play games....then wtf do you mean should we start eating (MORE) dog/cat in Canada?
That was answered in posts 23 and 24...I am just reading Wiki and THEY have Canada listed as an eater of dog....therefore when I ask my question I have to assume a base level of consumption and ask if it should increase.

Here is the link so you can see the source for my question(again because it has already been posted in this thread): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat

Why are YOU parsing the question instead of answering it?? Man.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1519 upvotes
Markham, ON
Asun wrote:If you ever travel to Asia, pay attention to the huge discrepancies between the number of stray dogs and stray cats on the street ;)
have you been to HK?

stray cats and dogs are a problem :rolleyes:

perhaps youre in the mall too long.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1519 upvotes
Markham, ON
KsprayDad wrote:That was answered in posts 23 and 24...I am just reading Wiki and THEY have Canada listed as an eater of dog....therefore when I ask my question I have to assume a base level of consumption and ask if it should increase.

Here is the link so you can see the source for my question(again because it has already been posted in this thread): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat

Why is everyone parsing the question instead of answering it?? Man.

Dogs have historically been an emergency food source for various peoples in Siberia, Alaska, northern Canada, and Greenland. Dog teamss are usually maintained for pulling sleds, but occasionally are eaten when no other food is available.

cannibalism (edit sp) is also emergency food...how is emergency food considered normal consumption??
Mar 23, 2006
418 posts
5 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:Dogs have historically been an emergency food source for various peoples in Siberia, Alaska, northern Canada, and Greenland. Dog teamss are usually maintained for pulling sleds, but occasionally are eaten when no other food is available.

Cannablism is also emergency food...how is emergency food considered normal consumption??
By your post, I assume you're trying to claim dog meat is simply an emergency food. However, what seperates dog meat from other animal meat? Not much. Simply your culture's perceptions of the dog.

I personally think there's nothing wrong with eating dog meat, although I've never tried it before. But that doesn't seem to be the point of this thread at all (though it's quickly becoming a bash dog meat thread). This thread is asking the question whether or not eating dog meat is a acceptable method for controlling the overpopulation of dogs. And as I've posted before, no, this is not an acceptable method for controlling the dog population for 2 reasons.

1) under the assumption that you won't be killing your own dog or dogs you know, you'll probably be eating the disease ridden stray. Enough said.

2) By making dog meat a food we'd be eating, you would essentially cause the breeding of more dogs for consumption, destroying the point of eating dogs in the first place.

If you're gonna bash eating dogs or anything like that, make a new thread. Stop drawing attention from the point of this one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
2505 posts
143 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:Dogs have historically been an emergency food source for various peoples in Siberia, Alaska, northern Canada, and Greenland. Dog teamss are usually maintained for pulling sleds, but occasionally are eaten when no other food is available.

cannibalism (edit sp) is also emergency food...how is emergency food considered normal consumption??

Why are you riding my a$$. The question is properly worded given what Wiki says..if you have a problem with Wiki, I encourage you to become an editor there and to stop parsing. If you don't like the wording of the question, please start your own poll with whatever wording you wish.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3419 posts
92 upvotes
GTA
There's an overpopulation of humans in the world too, so we probably should eat them.