• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2017 7:04 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
3 posts
East York, ON

Petro Canada Mobile and Zoomer Mobile Advise

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has had problems with either a Petro Canada or Zoomer Mobile Plan i.e. connection not working, poor customer service etc.
I am looking for an inexpensive plan, more for talking and texting within Ontario, minimal data.
A friend had a Wind plan and that resulted in a very bad customer service issue, so I want to avoid Freedom plans.
Telus has good customer service but their plans are ridiculously high, but then as long as people pay--prices will go up.
Thank you.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25424 posts
2758 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The Rogers $180 plan maybe an option if your calls are during the evenings and weekends.

Koodo Prepaid is also good. $15 per month for unlimited international SMS plus $25 for 500 minutes that doesn't expire.
May 8, 2009
1770 posts
470 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
I used SpeakOut and Petro Canada back in 2011 on 2G network (Rogers) and connectivity was flawless. I can't see why it'd be any worse now.

I have limited experience with Freewind. I used their service briefly on a Galaxy Nexus that'd drop calls with every carrier. Since the big 3 are so cheap in QC (and everywhere else if you have a QC plan), I see no need to go back to Freedom Mobile.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1126 posts
72 upvotes
Here
Where in East York do you live? A friend used to live near Mortimer Rd and maybe Logan? The reception there was pretty bad with Rogers (which is PetroCan and Zoomer).

Also, if you live in a basement or have an old phone it could affect signal. Most of the houses around there are brick and have fairly small basement windows.

If you don't need data most prepaid plans are pretty cheap. You could always try TextNow/2nd Line or Google Voice as they only require wifi or data connectivity. It won't work well if you have a weak cell data connection, but if you have good wifi it work work.