None
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2006
2040 posts
7 upvotes
Home

Petro Canada Mobility and unlocking a samsung galaxy

Hi there,

Need some clarification on whether a rogers locked phone would work on the petro mobility network?

Also how would I check to see what network my Samsung Galaxy Mini is locked to?

thanks
14 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3379 posts
710 upvotes
North Etobicoke
jvaf wrote: Hi there,

Need some clarification on whether a rogers locked phone would work on the petro mobility network?

Also how would I check to see what network my Samsung Galaxy Mini is locked to?

thanks
I've used 3 different rogers locked phones with PCM, so I would say yes. Can't help with other question
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2006
2040 posts
7 upvotes
Home
I have a Petro Canada Sim in the galaxy but it says No sim and there is a Sim card with an x on the top left side
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
jvaf wrote: I have a Petro Canada Sim in the galaxy but it says No sim and there is a Sim card with an x on the top left side
No Sim vs invalid sim are two different things. Have you tried another sim from another company to see?
Aug 10, 2008
977 posts
88 upvotes
jvaf wrote: I have a Petro Canada Sim in the galaxy but it says No sim and there is a Sim card with an x on the top left side
The X SIM symbol is display if the phone is blacklisted and rejected by the network. Have you checked if your phone imei is clean? (go to protectyourdata site to find out)
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is the PM SIM active? (ie does it work in another device?)

If the SIM is good and is giving your a SIM error, it's likely a defective device, blacklisted. If it's a locked to another carrier and no blacklisted, it will ask you for the unlock code (assuming someone hasn't already tried to unlock it with the wrong code 10 times).
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1073 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
Since Petro-Canada uses Rogers network, then a phone locked to Rogers will work. (Same thing applies to Speakout.) So if you are getting a 'no sim' message, then perhaps the phone is locked to another carrier. You seem to wonder that yourself when you ask 'How would I check to see what network my Samsung Galaxy Mini is locked to?'

And #6's question is valid. Is this a working phone?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2006
2040 posts
7 upvotes
Home
AndroidRootGuy wrote: Did the phone ever work?
Seller told me he was using it right until I bought the phone. I took his word for it
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2006
2040 posts
7 upvotes
Home
manteiv wrote: The X SIM symbol is display if the phone is blacklisted and rejected by the network. Have you checked if your phone imei is clean? (go to protectyourdata site to find out)
Checked and it says "Your device has not been reported lost or stolen and is not currently on the national blacklist"
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
344 upvotes
Mississauga
If phone was blacklisted, it will say no service, emergency calls only. But NO SIM means phone can't read your sim card.

Go to Rogers try a tester sim to verify if it's a phone or your sim card issue.
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Aug 10, 2008
977 posts
88 upvotes
the problem can only be one of these possibilities:

1- something wrong with the SIM tray contacts. Try examine the SIM slot to see if there is any obvious damage
2- your Petro SIM is damaged
3- your phone is currently locked to a provider other than Rogers/Fido/Petro/Speakout. You have to go around and borrow SIMs to find out. Try the providers stores
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2006
2040 posts
7 upvotes
Home
manteiv wrote: the problem can only be one of these possibilities:

1- something wrong with the SIM tray contacts. Try examine the SIM slot to see if there is any obvious damage
2- your Petro SIM is damaged
3- your phone is currently locked to a provider other than Rogers/Fido/Petro/Speakout. You have to go around and borrow SIMs to find out. Try the providers stores
Assuming it's the simcard has is damaged... Do I have to pay to get a new one?