Shopping Discussion

Petro-Points/CIBC is coming to end, what is good there?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2017 10:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7655 posts
423 upvotes
Scarborough

Petro-Points/CIBC is coming to end, what is good there?

Costco Gas is my other choice when I go buy milk/eggs weekly. Esso? Shell? I have used Shell/AirMiles before.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14176 posts
4635 upvotes
In my area, Superstore has 7 cents off per litre, so it works out cheaper than Costco. The downside is you get the money to use in store (as PC Points) so great if you shop there, not so great if you do not.

If you are committed to filling up at Canadian Tire I would search RFD for threads on it. People used to report getting 10 cents (or more) per litre off of gas. The downside is that there are very few CT gas bars (at least where I am) so it's not even worth your time to research if the locations are inconvenient.
Apr 13, 2010
342 posts
121 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
TrevorK wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:05 am
People used to report getting 10 cents (or more) per litre off of gas.
That's with their Gas Advantage card. The amount of a discount you get depends on how much money you have charged on the card the previous month. You start out saving only 2c/L. To save 10c/L, you have to put at least $2000/month on your card. The full table is here (click on 'How it Works'): https://www.ctfs.com/content/ctfs/en/ca ... ntage.html

I had considered it, but decided I liked their Options card better. It buys me a new tool every few months. And you get up to 10 or 12 times the CT money (depending on the promotion of the week) buying their gas.
Mar 17, 2009
137 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
Petro Canada did say that they were moving to a new card provider later this year and that there would be more news about it this summer. Wait and see - it could be a better deal.
Feb 6, 2010
15 posts
Brossard
I was also affected by this change. Exchanged all remaining points for 10c rewards, this will last me a couple of months, I think.

I did also hear from Petro-Points guys that there will be something else. I guess - new partnership.

At the same time I was re-thinking this whole petro-points reward system and here is a simple math. They give 10 points for each $1 spent and 15 points on groceries and drugs. I have recently bought 10c rebate for 400 liters for 40,000 points. Plus we get 2c/litre rebate from the credit card. 400 liters of gas at $1.15/litre is $460. With the rebate of 10c+2c => $412. Thus, $48 in savings over this amount. Assuming the average reward of 12.5 points per $1 spent, I need to spend $3,200 to get this rebate of $48. Which is about 1.5% "return", if I can use this term.

Now thinking about it....there are free credit cards that give 2% cash back on gas. I believe there are paid cards that give even more. So, at the end, 1.5% return is not that extraordinary. But I liked the simplicity of Petro-Points and the fact that the rebate was virtually instantaneous (reload and use in ~48 hours). Many cash-back cards are not that simple.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17041 posts
1884 upvotes
GTA West
Menace wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 9:21 pm
Costco Gas is my other choice when I go buy milk/eggs weekly. Esso? Shell? I have used Shell/AirMiles before.
Your question seems unclear. Are you asking for a new deal on loyalty points for gasoline?
I find it is better to just use Tangerine MC at Pioneer or Ultramar since they don't have points but are slightly cheaper than Petro / Shell to begin with.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7655 posts
423 upvotes
Scarborough
I care about the saving. I now got 7c off by using the CIBC/MasterCard, 6c at Costco?! I would drive a little farther to get my weekly milk/eggs vs Petro Canada is just around the corner.
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 8:23 pm
Your question seems unclear. Are you asking for a new deal on loyalty points for gasoline?
I find it is better to just use Tangerine MC at Pioneer or Ultramar since they don't have points but are slightly cheaper than Petro / Shell to begin with.