Pets

Pets in the Country - any experience with them?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2023 10:55 am
Oct 19, 2005
639 posts
40 upvotes

Pets in the Country - any experience with them?

I am going to a first-time dog owner and looking at a couple of places. One breeder that comes up frequently when i ask people about good breeders is Pets in the Country. I was curious whether any one have experience/opinion about them.

Thnx
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Never heard of them. And their website does not have any useful information. The only thing they say, that is concerning, is that they don't allow a visit until the pup is 7 weeks old. Which means you will not see the mother nursing, so impossible to know if the mother is even there (which is an indicator that they are a broker). They also let them go at 7 weeks which is a bit too early.

Here's a list of questions that need to be answered:

1. What health testing is done on the pups, and the parents? There are certain genetic conditions and medical issues that are prevalent in retrievers, make sure the parents are certified (hips, eyes and ears at the very least).
2. Are mom and dad on site? Especially the mom.
3. How much and what is included in that? (spay/neuter, shots, health testing, etc.)
4. Health guarantee? Get the details of this, not just confirmation that they have one,
5. Ask for recommendations
6. Get a copy of the sales contract and/or breeder contract. Read it carefully and understand it.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
1 - any "breeder" that's name constantly comes up to me is a red flag that they breed too many dogs. A good breeder should only have a few litters a year. Their dogs should also not be bred continually heat after heat.

2 - immediate red flag they are puppy mill; they breed a bunch of popular "designer" mix breed dogs. Any good breeder should only breed one type of dog. They should be showing their dogs and only breeding the best of the breed. They need to be very knowledgeable in temperment and body structure of the breed and only breed those that fit. Not just those that look cool or have rarer colors. They need to test for all possible health issues and not breed the dogs until they're two years old (or older; some genetic issues can't be tested for when young or can't be tested for at all and they need to wait until older to try and ensure their breeding dogs haven't developed problems). They should offer a health guarantee and to take back the dog (often at any time of its life).

Otherwise what are they really doing...? Making money as fast as possible without regard for their dogs or the dogs they bring into the world nor future generations.

Edited to add that this place could also easily be a puppy broker. They do not list their breeding dogs on their site (breeders always list their breeding dogs and provide information such as all health testing preformed and its result, lines they come from, height/weight, personality, date of birth)... with this site having none of that I would lean towards them being a broker.

Some reading:
What is a Puppy Broker?
Can You Spot a Puppy Mill?
Last edited by Karala on Jan 18th, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Jul 12, 2016
329 posts
182 upvotes
presently I live in Canada and my home country is in eastern Europe, and the difference is that in my country people have pets for their pleasure, but here they take pets as a huge responsibility, spent lots of money on them. Having a pet is extremely expensive and plus in most apartment you are not even allowed to bring them. you should thing through many details before you decide to get one.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1293 posts
952 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Looks like a puppy mill to me as well.. With a well designed website though to sucker people in.
Sep 15, 2017
2 posts
I have 2 dogs from pets in the country, one we got as a puppy 3 years ago and the other we got at 7 years old a few weeks ago. They are amazing dogs very smart, very loyal. Their dog/puppies live inside and are very well taken care of in a clean calm environment. The owners of PITC are very people oriented, very nice and professional. I strongly recommend them to anyone and everyone and will always go back to them! :)
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
TashaWR1 wrote: I strongly recommend them to anyone and everyone and will always go back to them!
It appears you recommend them so strongly that you must create an account on RFD to talk about them...

Just because the dogs and puppies are inside does not make them a reputable breeder. It make them at best a backyard breeder. Not someone to support.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
TashaWR1 wrote: I have 2 dogs from pets in the country, one we got as a puppy 3 years ago and the other we got at 7 years old a few weeks ago. They are amazing dogs very smart, very loyal. Their dog/puppies live inside and are very well taken care of in a clean calm environment. The owners of PITC are very people oriented, very nice and professional. I strongly recommend them to anyone and everyone and will always go back to them! :)
Hmmm, first time poster arrives to post glowing review of a breeder that seems to be a puppy mill...
Sep 15, 2017
2 posts
The site doesn't let you comment without logging in.. so You're right.. unfortunately I had to create an account to comment of the negativity being thrown around about PITC. Rest assured it'll be gone once i'm done this comment. Of course my review is glowing, I am beyond satisfied with how my expierence was with them. I stand by my comment before, I always have and always will recommend pets in the country.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
TashaWR1 wrote: I always have and always will recommend pets in the country.
So in other words you either are associated with them or have done no research into what a puppy mill and/or broker is and do not care to educate yourself on what this means for the treatment of countless dogs.

People can present themself well, of course they will as they are trying to make a sale, but that doesn't mean this place doesn't have all the hallmarks of being a puppy mill or broker.
Last edited by Karala on Sep 19th, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
TashaWR1 wrote: The site doesn't let you comment without logging in.. so You're right.. unfortunately I had to create an account to comment of the negativity being thrown around about PITC. Rest assured it'll be gone once i'm done this comment. Of course my review is glowing, I am beyond satisfied with how my expierence was with them. I stand by my comment before, I always have and always will recommend pets in the country.
I'm sure you will since you likely own it.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1584 posts
104 upvotes
Too many flags going up about that place. The website as others pointed out. All post from the FB page are from PITC. When I decided on getting a specific dog breed, I joined as many breeder FB groups for that type. All across the board, it is the same theme. You get a sense of community where people would post questions about their puppy/dog or simply show-off/update other members. The FB page for PITC is more of an advertisement.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
Banned
Sep 16, 2006
1010 posts
236 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Get a mutt. They are healthier. Cheaper too. Don't go to a puppy mill.
Apr 23, 2018
1 posts
You are always welcome to come and visit and see our place and our pets and learn more about us. No pressure... not commitments .... Schedule one of our "Meet and Greets"
Pets in the Country
Apr 13, 2009
105 posts
97 upvotes
TashaWR1 wrote: I have 2 dogs from pets in the country, one we got as a puppy 3 years ago and the other we got at 7 years old a few weeks ago. They are amazing dogs very smart, very loyal. Their dog/puppies live inside and are very well taken care of in a clean calm environment. The owners of PITC are very people oriented, very nice and professional. I strongly recommend them to anyone and everyone and will always go back to them! :)
First time poster and your complimenting PITC??? If you're not a ringer i'm not sure what is.
Apr 13, 2009
105 posts
97 upvotes
HelenaN75995 wrote: You are always welcome to come and visit and see our place and our pets and learn more about us. No pressure... not commitments .... Schedule one of our "Meet and Greets"
Pets in the Country
First TashaWR1 comes and gets crushed and called out about the BS, then you HelenaN75995 comes out of the woodwork to give the praises of PITC after your ringer gets caught. You might as well change your name now broker cause your caught and anyone googling your name for reviews is going to see you've been caught!
Nov 29, 2018
1 posts
8 upvotes
Just had the absolute worst experience from Pets in the Country. We have been in contact over a week and I had made arrangements to try and deliver my deposit. They responded with their policy in not visiting until pup is ready. I explained that we are first time dog owners and we are a family of 7 looking to add a cockapoo to our family as a Christmas gift for our 5 children and after going through the reviews here on this page I took the advice and asked a few questions. My last being that regarding the two instances with giardia. After receiving no response to my questions, I called today and spoke with John and his response was “it’s not gonna work!” I was made to feel wrong for asking questions and doing a little due diligence and he further responded by saying “my wife got your email and there were 9 questions and it wasn’t worth the time !” I have now disappointed my entire family for Christmas and they didn’t have an ounce of courtesy to respond to the email or call me directly and suggest making the deposit and giving them time to answer the questions properly. It was not a long conversation but so much discontent I wish I could share in how the conversation was handled. I’m appalled. I will never contact this breeder again. I guess along the way of putting smiles on people’s faces helping them find a new addition to their family, their success and filled pockets full of money they lost their purpose and realized they have to crush a few hearts and destroys the wishes of innocent children in order to ensure money is being delivered to their banks on time. Thank you John and Helen for being such greedy puppy pushers. I’m so sorry you have lost your souls especially at Christmas. I hope you heal well and heal soon because Karma is a bitch and she keeps receipts !!
Apr 15, 2019
1 posts
can anyone recommend a good breeder in Ontario that does Golden Retriever and Cocker Spaniel mix?
Jan 16, 2020
3 posts
I have had a great experience with Pets in the country - they respond promptly and have been very helpful in the selection process.
I believe them to be a reputable breeder (as much as anyone is) and know they are not operating under mill status.

While its true they are breeding cross breeds so do not place upon themselves the same testing that is required of a show breeder (requirements held by the CKC and AKC if you want the dog to compete in the ring) their animals seem in good health and even and calm temperament. I also know that like many breeders they employ guardian programs for their bitches and studs making sure that there breeding stock is already placed in loving homes in anticipation of their retirement.

I know it can be difficult to find a trust worthy breeder of cross breeds but t my knowledge and understanding they are reputable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)