• Oct 24th, 2017 7:10 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 5, 2005
621 posts
221 upvotes
Earth

PG movie rating...

Wondering what people's thoughts are on what age is appropriate for PG rated movies? For example Wonder Woman or Spider-Man homecoming.
Zooooooomer, just get it!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2428 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
My go-to website to see if movies are age appropriate or not.
https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews

Often the rating it's given isn't accurate. I often let the kids watch movies that are rated as adult, but other times, this website provides info that gives me the option ..
[OP]
Dec 5, 2005
621 posts
221 upvotes
Earth
Thanks for sharing; I'll definitely check it out.
Zooooooomer, just get it!
Mar 9, 2012
845 posts
267 upvotes
KITCHENER
Oatmeal wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 3:38 pm
Wondering what people's thoughts are on what age is appropriate for PG rated movies? For example Wonder Woman or Spider-Man homecoming.
Ultimately, I decide whether a movie is appropriate or not, not some "standard" that is out there.
It's kinda funny, when Jaws came out way back when, IIRC, it was rated "R".

By the way, IMDB has a parents guide for all movies, they'll outline things like "Nudity and Sex", "Profanity", "Violence and Gore", "Alcohol, Drugs, Smoking" and "Frightening/Intense Scenes" Everything is rated out of 10, for a total score of something out of 50. A 0/50 basically means watching happy kids sketch rainbows on a blackboard with chalk.....and 50/50 would be a sex slaves having heads slowly decapitated while drinking JD and snorting coke with lots of squirting blood and realistic eyeballs being squeezed out of peoples heads whilst everyone is chanting the f-bomb.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7878 posts
565 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 6:17 pm
Ultimately, I decide whether a movie is appropriate or not, not some "standard" that is out there.

By the way, IMDB has a parents guide for all movies, they'll outline things like "Nudity and Sex", "Profanity", "Violence and Gore", "Alcohol, Drugs, Smoking" and "Frightening/Intense Scenes" Everything is rated out of 10, for a total score of something out of 50. A 0/50 basically means watching happy kids sketch rainbows on a blackboard with chalk.....and 50/50 would be a sex slaves having heads slowly decapitated while drinking JD and snorting coke with lots of squirting blood and realistic eyeballs being squeezed out of peoples heads whilst everyone is chanting the f-bomb.
I pre-screen everything now as I don't trust the ratings. What others deem acceptable for my kids may not exactly be in line with what I think is.

I agree with you though. We're so desensitized to certain things that what we see normally in TV or movies would be R or simply not allowed at all.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13196 posts
669 upvotes
I will watch the movie if I am unsure. But that being said, we are talking about a PG movie and not 14A.

Take wonderwoman. I didn't think there would be any issue with my 13 year old...and there wasn't. I was concerned that my 8 year old would have some challenges with the movie (not that I didn't want him not to see it) and when his grandfather took him they did have to leave as he was too scared in some of the scenes.

In the end you know your kids and your beliefs and we consider each movie on its own.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7499 posts
1279 upvotes
Puella Magi Madoka Magica looks PG. But it's not...
Sep 1, 2011
233 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Pre Screen, always. There is an exceedingly large gap in terms of what content can be included in a PG film. It's the most problematic of all the ratings categories.

For example, in a PG film you can say "F***" 3 times and have full frontal nudity in a non sexual context (i.e., someone gets out of the shower, full nudity seen) without the rating being elevated to a 14a.

A good example of the chasm in PG: Pete's Dragon was PG -- while the Fate of the Furious also was PG. That's a mighty wide gap in terms of potentially problematic content.
Sep 1, 2011
233 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
I should add, if anyone has any questions about movie ratings in Ontario feel free to ask me. Without going into too many details... It's something I uh, have first hand knowledge of :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7878 posts
565 upvotes
It's not even as simple as the quantitative aspects either. Conceptually some movies are debatable.

Eg. We pre-screened Boss Baby last week and thank goodness we did. Our 4 year old currently loves his little brother and has never shown any jealousy towards him. We've taken great effort to work towards this. Boss baby straight up has the typical situation where the older brother hates the new baby upon arrival as the baby steals all the attention, etc. They hate each other and fake it until they make it. It would've planted tons of negative ideas into our older one. While at the end of the movie the brothers reconcile, there wasn't enough to make up for the damage it would've done. Definitely not for our kids at this point in the game.
Nov 13, 2013
714 posts
245 upvotes
OTTAWA
jeff1970 wrote:

How does this only have 3 upvotes.? This is both informative and easily the funniest post I have read here in a long time.

Useful site as personally I don't worry too much about a bit of language or nudity but prefer to avoid even cartoonish violence for very young ones.
Oct 13, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Canada
jeff1970 wrote:

By the way, IMDB has a parents guide for all movies, they'll outline things like "Nudity and Sex", "Profanity", "Violence and Gore", "Alcohol, Drugs, Smoking" and "Frightening/Intense Scenes" Everything is rated out of 10, for a total score of something out of 50. A 0/50 basically means watching happy kids bamboo toothbrush sketch rainbows on a blackboard with chalk.....and 50/50 would be a sex slaves having heads slowly decapitated while drinking JD and snorting coke with lots of squirting blood and realistic eyeballs being squeezed out of peoples heads whilst everyone is chanting the f-bomb.
Yea I like IMBD because it gives me a better idea of what the movie is about and then I will decide.