Pharmacy Drug Cost Comparison Tool [BC]

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2012 2:41 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1021 posts
174 upvotes

Pharmacy Drug Cost Comparison Tool [BC]

Came across this really valuable tool written up in the paper and had to try it out.

Pacific Blue Cross "Pharmacy Compass" http://www.pharmacycompass.ca/

Generally speaking I found costco to be only about 65% of the cost of say Walmart or Superstore.
Independent druggists were even costlier, charging a higher dispensing fee and cost per pill.

For comparison I found the cost per pill to be the differentiator, but you can see the difference in the
dispensing fee as well.

Costco - $4.49
RCSS - $9.99
Walmart $10
Pharmasave $10.50

and some as high as $11.50

Check it out and save yourself some money. I have two prescriptions I take semi regularily, and the cost between Costco and the next cheapest was about $30 for one and $15 for another.
8 replies
May 31, 2005
401 posts
16 upvotes
Can you use the costco pharmacy without a membership?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1442 posts
498 upvotes
Thanked OP. I know Costco is a lot cheaper for the dispensing fee. But most of the time I have to go to the nearest store ASAP to get a one time prescription for my children to save the time and gas.
Dec 27, 2011
112 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes. If they stop you at the entrance, just let them know you're heading to the pharmacy.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1171 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver
setTopbox wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 2:43 am
Can you use the costco pharmacy without a membership?
Yes, they have to let you by law.

Funny, the site didn't list Costco when I did searches in GVR......... Hmmm......
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1021 posts
174 upvotes
sandy_beach wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 2:36 pm
Yes, they have to let you by law.

Funny, the site didn't list Costco when I did searches in GVR......... Hmmm......
It depends on what drug you are searching (or which generic variant) and if a blue cross person has purchased that prescription in the past 3 months. That's how they gather the data for these comparisons.
It's not 100% clear by using the tool but if you read the about or FAQ you'll understand the implications.
May 28, 2012
8887 posts
1504 upvotes
Saskatoon
I guess if I didn't have drug coverage, I would go to Costco for my prescriptions because it would be the most cost-effective. I like paying with my credit card and getting the rewards points, and I know I can't do that at Costco (I don't have AmEx). It's also not the most convenient location either because the location in our city is practically out of town.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9919 posts
1815 upvotes
Oakville
Please put BC in your thread title.

Thx

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
5815 posts
1724 upvotes
High-pressure discount pharmacies like Costco and Walmart are more prone to errors (which defeats the purpose of a pharmacy!). Also, note that for at least Ontario readers, your pharmacy does not mark up the price of the medicine. You get what you pay for! ;)
Internet Movie Car Database (Contributions) - http://imcdb.org/movies.php?contrib=Soro
× < >