• Mar 10th, 2015 8:57 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 10, 2006
291 posts
3 upvotes

Philippines trip help

Hey everyone!

I have a ticket to go to the Philippines this fall. Was suppose to go with someone else but now they can't go. So now I'm trying to decide if I should go myself or not. Some people have questioned whether its safe to go alone so have made me second guess the trip. Note that I've never gone backpacking before and never been outside north america really. I'm male, late 30's.

My airline ticket is paid for but I haven't booked any other part of the trip. Money is an issue so I'm planning to backpack and stay in lower priced places like guest houses etc.

So first I'd like to get everyone's feedback on whether it is safe and opinion on whether I should go or not. I know thats a broad and nearly impossible question but I'm asking for your thoughts anyhow without knowing me but based upon what you would do.

Second, where would you suggest going? I was thinking of going to Coron first, then maybe Puerto Princesa(both in Palawan) then maybe to Cebu. I wanted to see the rice terraces in the north but not sure the long ride from Manila is worth it.

Any feedback on these questions or other general comments are appreciated.
53 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
can you get a full refund on your plane ticket? if so..... get the refund and don't go

for someone inexperienced, it's better to travel within Canada and US
Sep 1, 2014
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi! I am from the Philippines. It is safe to go but for someone who goes alone and not used to backpacking, it might be a litle bit difficult. So I suggest that maybe refund the ticket or sell it to someone going to the Philippines. :)
Jan 10, 2011
485 posts
306 upvotes
DealMakerLoverBreaker wrote: Hey everyone!

I have a ticket to go to the Philippines this fall. Was suppose to go with someone else but now they can't go. So now I'm trying to decide if I should go myself or not. Some people have questioned whether its safe to go alone so have made me second guess the trip. Note that I've never gone backpacking before and never been outside north america really. I'm male, late 30's.

My airline ticket is paid for but I haven't booked any other part of the trip. Money is an issue so I'm planning to backpack and stay in lower priced places like guest houses etc.

So first I'd like to get everyone's feedback on whether it is safe and opinion on whether I should go or not. I know thats a broad and nearly impossible question but I'm asking for your thoughts anyhow without knowing me but based upon what you would do.

Second, where would you suggest going? I was thinking of going to Coron first, then maybe Puerto Princesa(both in Palawan) then maybe to Cebu. I wanted to see the rice terraces in the north but not sure the long ride from Manila is worth it.

You'll be safe. Just stay away from southern Mindanao. Places to visit aside from the places you mentioned are Boracay, Bohol and Siquijor. Travel within the Philippines is cheap but often slow and unreliable. Consider looking for deals with Cebu Pacific, and you can have some cheap airfare within the country.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
bluenose2 wrote: can you get a full refund on your plane ticket? if so..... get the refund and don't go

for someone inexperienced, it's better to travel within Canada and US
The guy is in his late 30's, not 12! He'll be fine. If he gets shot, kidnapped, or beheaded, then at least he tried.

Anyway OP, a part of my childhood was spent living in places most people would consider dangerous, including the Philippines and Saudi Arabia. And you know what, they were fine. Sometimes, people's perceptions of certain countries are often out of touch with reality. Sure, as a kid growing up in Saudi Arabia, I've heard of stories of convicted criminals being beheaded or their hands chopped off (for shoplifting), but overall, they didn't bother the foreigners. And I can definitely see you getting ripped off by the taxi cabs and probably in the shops in Manila, being charged with "foreigner prices" (and maybe being pickpocketed as well), but you live and learn. It's part of the whole experience.

That being said, try to limit your stay in Manila. There are some decent areas, but it's chaotic (this is coming from someone who loves Bangkok). Spend more in the countryside and in the islands. I've been to Coron and while the surrounding town is dusty and shabby (which is part of its appeal), the surrounding area is gorgeous. Visit El Nido as well, which is about a 7-hour boat ride. Or there is a tour that stretches that to 3 days hopping between remote uninhabited islands along the way. Bohol is nice as well, although after that typhoon several months back, it might be a bit different. That being said, I haven't been back in years.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
You'll be fine. I spent several months in the Philippines in my late 20s and never ran in to trouble. Just stay away from Mindanao like Chep suggested.

Just be weary of scams. As a foreigner, you'll draw a lot of attention. Avoid being flashy (jewellery, watches, expensive smartphones in public, etc) so as to reduce some of the attention you get. People will assume you're rich and try to all sorts of scams. Women & men alike will flirt with you. Use your judgement and say no thanks when things seem uncomfortable.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1668 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
psyko514 wrote: You'll be fine.

Just be weary of scams. As a foreigner, you'll draw a lot of attention. Avoid being flashy (jewellery, watches, expensive smartphones in public, etc) so as to reduce some of the attention you get. People will assume you're rich and try to all sorts of scams. Women & men alike will flirt with you. Use your judgement and say no thanks when things seem uncomfortable.
+1

Also, you'd be surprised to the number of foreigners in the Philippines (making a living there or travelling through), it is generally safe for foreigners. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't take public transportation (buses, jeepneys) late at night or early morning. Don't put your wallet or anything valuable in your back pocket (even it has a button), put it in your front pocket or in a body wallet. Don't carry a lot of cash, just enough for the day. Learn a few words in Tagalog, although in parts outside of Manila they will speak a different dialect. I've always wanted to see the Banaue rice terraces or even travel to Baguio, splurge on a air conditioned bus because that is a long trip! Keep your bag on your lap when you do go, don't put it in the overhead shelf.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
2486 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
So OP what did you decide? I'm planning on visiting Manila and flying to Cebu in December. I got that great Seoul, Korea deal and plan to fly from there.

The best price tickets in Manila are for a midnight arrival. Those those in the know, is it safe to take a taxi from Manila airport late at night? Should I convert all my php money in Canada before I go there?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2013
1066 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto
I'm Filipino and am scared To travel alone in the Philippines, especially in Manila. I got dinged several times by can drivers. Family said fare should've been about P150 and I've always been charged P500. I'm filipino and I can speak the language. I try to dress like a local and speak like a local. Alas, it hasn't worked.

Always ask for the meter to be on is my advise. Although all 3 times I've cabbed by myself, the meter was on. Sigh.

Refund your ticket and run is my advise.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
2486 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Kayceern wrote: I'm Filipino and am scared To travel alone in the Philippines, especially in Manila. I got dinged several times by can drivers. Family said fare should've been about P150 and I've always been charged P500. I'm filipino and I can speak the language. I try to dress like a local and speak like a local. Alas, it hasn't worked.

Always ask for the meter to be on is my advise. Although all 3 times I've cabbed by myself, the meter was on. Sigh.

Are you female? I think they would try this more with females.

I'm a male Filipino myself who understands and speaks the language. Hoping they can't fool me lol.
May 26, 2013
85 posts
16 upvotes
DealMakerLoverBreaker wrote: Hey everyone!

Hey OP! I am a 30 year old Canadian guy who lived in the Philippines (Manila) for a while a few years ago. I have traveled extensively, and the Philippines is one of the places I recommend most for travelers. There are so many fun things to do there, it's cheap, the locals are friendly and they speak English, etc.

So, I highly recommend going. If you're not a seasoned traveler, you just have to be a bit careful about recognizing the usual tourist scams that occur in every developing country, but I think you should be fine, especially as soon as you leave Manila.

What to do there depends on how much time you have and how adventurous you feel.

-Manila doesn't have a lot of charm. Spend a day or two there and move on.
-Banaue and the rice terraces are probably my favorite memory there. It's a long bus journey up a treacherous path, but Banaue is beautiful. There's a hiking path you can take between Banaue-Batad-Bangaan that's pretty awesome. You can spend the night for very cheap in Batad. If you go up there, you should also see Sagada and visit some of the caves and hanging coffins.
-My second favorite place by just a hair would be El Nido. The island hopping there is phenomenal, and you are well off the beaten path.
-Boracay is amazing. Take one of the island hopping tours there as well. People knock Boracay for being overly touristy... but there's a reason a lot of people go. The beach is beautiful. Three or four days here should be sufficient.
-If you're a diver, Coron is worth visiting. Do a couple of wreck dives and the thermocline lake. If you're not a diver, I'm not sure Coron is worth it.
-Puerto Princesa is fun because it's remote and different, but if you're excited about heading up to the subterranean river, I'm sad to say it was the most disappointing part of my time there. However, the journey gets you really off the beaten path. So I'd say it's worth checking out, but lower your expectations for the cave rafting.
-I also visited Puerto Galera to do my Open Water Diving certification. It was alright, but nothing special.
-Although I didn't do it, most people told me they enjoyed hiking up to the Tagaytay crater.
-I can't comment on Cebu, since I never visited, but I've heard it's nice.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
Kayceern wrote: I'm Filipino and am scared To travel alone in the Philippines, especially in Manila. I got dinged several times by can drivers. Family said fare should've been about P150 and I've always been charged P500. I'm filipino and I can speak the language. I try to dress like a local and speak like a local. Alas, it hasn't worked.

Run? Just make sure the meter is turned on in the first place. As a white male who doesn't speak Tagalog, I never paid more than P200 for a cab and I was in that one for about 90 minutes.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6229 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
psyko514 wrote: Run? Just make sure the meter is turned on in the first place. As a white male who doesn't speak Tagalog, I never paid more than P200 for a cab and I was in that one for about 90 minutes.
90 minutes? not buying it. flag down rate i think is 40 or 45 now.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
test9251 wrote: 90 minutes? not buying it. flag down rate i think is 40 or 45 now.
This was in 2009. Flag charge was something like P35. Maybe it was P250 but it didn't come close to P500. The 15 minute ride to work was ~P70 and I would give the guy P100 half the time because I never had small bills and felt cheap asking for P20 back.

When I think about it, though, much of the time in the 90 minute ride was spent in traffic. I don't remember if cabs there work like they do here (where the rate for being idle is lower than the rate for travelling). If so, that might play a part.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
2486 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Damn that's a cheap taxi ride! My understanding that 40 PHP is equivalent to $1 CDN.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
mgronqui wrote: Damn that's a cheap taxi ride! My understanding that 40 PHP is equivalent to $1 CDN.
Yes, most developing nations and third world countries are pretty cheap. A trio at McDonald's will cost you ~P100.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
2486 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
psyko514 wrote: Yes, most developing nations and third world countries are pretty cheap. A trio at McDonald's will cost you ~P100.
What's a trio? A combo?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)